PDA

View Full Version : [AS3] some advice for kiosk

stevepofd
04-22-2009, 10:59 AM
hello all,
i am new to the community even though i have been developing flash for a couple of years.
anyway, i'll get to the point. i have most all of my experience making flash application for the web. now i have to develop an interactive kiosk. my biggest question is how the content should be loaded. in my web apps i always load in external data, images/swfs ect... however i do not want any of this load time, even though it will be running on a local machine i know there wouldnt be too much load time. but i have no experience in this area, and i wasn't sure if it would be better to load all of my assets when i open the app. the kiosk will be turned off every night and loaded every morning (it will be running a newer windows machine).

if anyone has any advice i'd be happy to hear it. my biggest concerns are:
1. bloating of the systems and jumps in the graphics.
2. load times. internal vs. external.
3. removing sprites from the stage but not the display list. (to then be re-added, in the case of navigational items which frequently are loaded and unloaded)

i did some research on animation library speeds and i think i will be using tweenlite as it seems to be the fastest for the animation that i will need.
i will also be loading papervision 3d objects. i'm not sure if this info will help, but i figured its worth a shot!

thanks to everyone in advance!

take care,
stevepofd

MikeTheVike
04-22-2009, 02:50 PM
hello all,
i am new to the community even though i have been developing flash for a couple of years.
anyway, i'll get to the point. i have most all of my experience making flash application for the web. now i have to develop an interactive kiosk. my biggest question is how the content should be loaded. in my web apps i always load in external data, images/swfs ect... however i do not want any of this load time, even though it will be running on a local machine i know there wouldnt be too much load time. but i have no experience in this area, and i wasn't sure if it would be better to load all of my assets when i open the app. the kiosk will be turned off every night and loaded every morning (it will be running a newer windows machine).

if anyone has any advice i'd be happy to hear it. my biggest concerns are:
1. bloating of the systems and jumps in the graphics.
2. load times. internal vs. external.
3. removing sprites from the stage but not the display list. (to then be re-added, in the case of navigational items which frequently are loaded and unloaded)

i did some research on animation library speeds and i think i will be using tweenlite as it seems to be the fastest for the animation that i will need.
i will also be loading papervision 3d objects. i'm not sure if this info will help, but i figured its worth a shot!

thanks to everyone in advance!

take care,
stevepofd

I've done a few kiosk applications, I'll try think up some tips that might help...

- You will want to know what kind of hardware and OS will be running in the kiosk.

- It helps to know what size monitor it will be displayed on so you can plan the graphics and flash file for it.

- I've loaded external items, and had everything contained in one movie, and there isn't much difference. As long as the hardware isn't completely out of date and slow, it will run things fine.

let me know if you have any other questions.

stevepofd
04-24-2009, 12:24 PM
MikeTheVike,
thanks for the response, i think i'm getting the hang of everything. this is also my first big project with AS3 so it think that was part of my initial stumble into structuring my documents.

i'm keeping my eyes wide open and trying to maximize everything and pay attenion to all mylisteners so i can have unneeded items go out for trash collection. so far things seem to be running quick. i'll keep my fingers crossed!

thanks again,
steve

buzcajun
05-01-2009, 01:33 PM
MiketheVike,

I have a Kiosk issue and question for you. One, the FLVPlayback is alittle buggy with the EXE, I had to do a workaround by running SWF thru IE. Not what I wanted to do but it seems to work OK.

My big question is, going to sleep mode, I need to have the Kiosk reset itself after a few minutes of no-activity. I've done this before, but it AS2 and I can't recall the exact syntax. I know I need a getTimer and a addEventListener. Just don't remember the exact phrasing.

Thanks in advance,
Buzcajun

MikeTheVike
05-01-2009, 01:55 PM
Not sure about the FLV playback, never had a problem with that.

For the reset, you could start a timer, and reset the timer every time the mouse moves. Even if you have a touchscreen kiosk with a hidden mouse, I think the mouse coordinates are still adjusted when there is a press(click) on the screen.

buzcajun
05-01-2009, 03:55 PM
Really? You never had a problem with full screen and FLVplayback? I found a lot of folks with similar problem, but not too many solutions.

Thanks for the timer idea, that is what I am working on now. I did an old version in AS2 but am having some issues converting it. Have you heard of function runTimer():Void ?

Thanks again,
Garrett

MikeTheVike
05-01-2009, 05:47 PM
Really? You never had a problem with full screen and FLVplayback? I found a lot of folks with similar problem, but not too many solutions.

Thanks for the timer idea, that is what I am working on now. I did an old version in AS2 but am having some issues converting it. Have you heard of function runTimer():Void ?

Thanks again,
Garrett

Hmmm, now that I think about it, not sure if I tried fullscreen flv in an exe.

I found a project that has a timer for a screensaver, but it is basically the same thing, I'll post the code below...

var posX:int;
var posY:int;
var timer_screensaver:Timer = new Timer(300000, 1);
var ss:screensaver = new screensaver;

addEventListener(Event.ENTER_FRAME, enterFrameHandler);
timer_screensaver.addEventListener(TimerEvent.TIME R_COMPLETE, loadScreenSaver);

timer_screensaver.start();

function enterFrameHandler(event:Event):void {
if (stage.mouseX != posX) {
timer_screensaver.reset();
timer_screensaver.start();
}
posX = stage.mouseX;
posY = stage.mouseY;
}

function loadScreenSaver(event:TimerEvent) :void {
timer_screensaver.reset();
removeEventListener(Event.ENTER_FRAME, enterFrameHandler);
addChild(ss);
}

buzcajun
11-10-2010, 01:19 PM
Steve,

Sorry for the delayed response. A few tips for you.

Yes unLoad whenever you can. External files work fine. Videos on the other had seem to be an issue. There is a memory leak in Flash, and after a few hours the videos do not clear from memory and will cause a crash.

Also, I found out the video and fullscreen problem. You need to load your video inside a movieClip. When it plays from the main timeline, and play it full screen .exe you get the black screen.

Hope this helps.