PDA

View Full Version : flashMX+database+ASP+strange problem

halperg
12-30-2002, 06:23 AM
Hi there,

I am working on a web site which uses ASP to populate combobox components from a MS access database. The system works fine on my personal web server, but does not work when uploaded to web server. I have loops that check if variables are loaded to Flash and everything just work fine locally.

I have a Tuesday-Deadline and I would appreaciate any help and suggestion.

Thanx in advance

Cheers.
AGUN
please contact via [email protected]

pichto
12-30-2002, 10:03 AM
Does your provider (or your account) support ASP ? If yes, what is your connection string ?

halperg
12-30-2002, 10:12 AM
I use;
loadVariables("myasp.asp","","GET")

and in asp

set conn = server.createobject("adodb.connection")
DSNtemp="DRIVER={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)}; "
DSNtemp=dsntemp & "DBQ=" & server.mappath("mydb.mdb")
conn.Open DSNtemp

sqlstmt = "SELECT * from guestbook ORDER BY id DESC"
Set rs = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")

all the things on the server are on the same level...

pichto
12-30-2002, 10:35 AM
Two things…

Usually, an SQL string is always finished with « ; ». In your case it should be :

"SELECT * FROM guestbook ORDER BY id DESC;"

And remember to always use uppercases for SQL reserved words. Sometimes older ASP engines could have some strange reaction if the syntax is not completely correct.

2. In your Flash code, I’ll use :

loadVariables("myasp.asp", self, "POST");

or even better, with loadVars.sendAndLoad (see Flash documentation).

Finally, did you try to run your ASP page alone (without Flash call) to see if the error is in the ASP side or in the Flash side ?

halperg
12-30-2002, 11:01 AM
Hi,

the swf that makes the querry is able to get the data from the database to fill the combobox components. But the same codes don't help when the user makes a querry from the comboboxes.

Timing might be the reason. I use loops that checks if the asp sends me a variable and then move te time-head.. THis works with the combox asps since there is only one variable sent and got. But in the case of querry part I sent alot of information....

But I will try using the asp all alone..and loadvars ...
Thanx a lot again.

pichto
12-30-2002, 11:06 AM
As you said, loadVars will definitly be the solution if you're trying to retrieve a bunch of variables from ASP because it has a "loaded" method :

if (MYLoadvar.loaded == true) {
gotoAndPlay("somewhere");
}

halperg
12-30-2002, 11:11 AM
Hi,

I really appreciate your help and efforts.
Thank you..

Alper

pichto
01-01-2003, 03:28 PM
You are welcome...