PDA

View Full Version : iPhone/iTouch compatibility??

UncleNinja
05-10-2009, 10:54 PM
I was staring at the wall the other day, thinking about random flash stuff when I thought about creating an app for an iPhone. So today I looked at Device Central, and I saw the Wii (of course :rolleyes:), but not a trace of any Apple-related product. So I was wondering, is it just not possible to make an app for the iPhone/iTouch in flash, or can you get some sort of plug-in from some random website or something?

It would be really cool to use the touch-screeny stuff and tilty sensors on that thing... :)

Thommas
05-11-2009, 07:58 AM
There is no iPhone compatibility at all !

Steve jobs rejected any Flash Player developed by Adobe for iPhone.

Adobe is still trying to develop a more optimized Flash Player for iPhone but I think Steve jobs just don't want to let Flash come on their device as it opens a big hole of freedom that they don't want :
- flash video player (vs Quicktime and iTunes)
- app development (vs appStore apps)
- game dev ! (vs appStore games)

Anyways, if a Flash Player was available on iPhone but had no system capabilities (file system access, GPS, etc.), it would be useless.

In fact, any virtual environment like java runtime is prohibited on iPhone.

Adobe took part in the Open Screen Project (Flash support on TV/Wii/Any other kind of screen). And Mac is not part of this group.

http://www.openscreenproject.org/

UncleNinja
05-11-2009, 11:56 AM
Those gomers :mad:! I never thought they might not allow flash on iPhones or iTouches for that reason! I think you are exactly right... I will never buy an Apple product again. That's so selfish! Well, it's the business...:o

Thanks for the response, man. :)