PDA

View Full Version : 10,000th POST: Recollections of Programming

Flash Gordon
05-31-2009, 08:02 AM
10,000 post later and I still remember my first post here. It was my first post anywhere on a public from and somehow my code got magically formatted (thanks CyanBlue). It's was a question about preloaders...(yikes...).

I was planning on doing a top 10 ten bugs I found in the flash player, but I've only been working with FP9/CS3 and I have no idea if those bugs have been fixed now. But if not, they would be long forgotten soon enough. So what I tried to do instead was to give some of my personal experiences in something more lasting which lead me to create several tutorial post on design patterns since they are time and language insensitive. I feel very fortunate to have had the experiences I did and wanted to share them in a way I though could help other developers grow in a way that they books just can't seem to do. (Decorators (http://www.actionscript.org/forums/showthread.php3?t=207594), Adapter (http://www.actionscript.org/forums/showthread.php3?t=207671), Factory (http://www.actionscript.org/forums/showthread.php3?t=207800), MVC (http://www.actionscript.org/forums/showthread.php3?t=208155))

I've recently had the WONDERFUL experience to develop and architect a piece of software from start to finish. And boy did I grow so much. I wish all of you have the opportunity at some point to work on a single piece of software for 2 years. You will grow so much and learn so many things. One thing I can assure you is that things do change. My software is not like the original specs first said it would be. To accommodate this you must have flexible code because you can't predict how it will need to change. Design Patterns are a wonder way to do this. 2 years ago when I first started developing the software I was looking for places to add patterns. I'm fortunate enough to say I no longer look for places to add patterns. The appropriate pattern simple emerges from the needs of what I'm trying to accomplish. And that's pretty darn cool. I would have never gotten to that point if it weren't for working on the same thing day after day for so very long.

Looking back as to how I got into programming, I had just graduated with my Masters Degree in Music. I had a job teaching at a major university at the age of 24 and I bought my first major purchase of a dell laptop (i bough a car at 16 yrs and the laptop was more expensive). I wanted to learn how to protected my new investment so the first computer book I ever read was an old old book called Counter Hack: A Step-by-Step Guide to Computer Attacks and Effective Defenses. I quickly learned to know how to break things I had to know how to make them. I started with html, and javscript. I was reading some nice man's tutorial on how to make html (which I was coding in Notepad back then) and asked him how to make things move on the web. He told me it was Flash so I went out and bought and Flash book which lead me to AS[org]. I quickly fell in love with Flash and stopped reading about security (though it's always been a fascination of mine). I tried to make other people's flash problems my own and to fix them. After a while it turned out people wanted to pay me, which I didn't even know this stuff paid...so that was cool and I begun taking jobs I didn't know how to do. I built up enough clients over 2 years that I went to get my Doctorate degree in Music and was able to pay my way through college without accumulating any debt and I even bought a brand new R1 crotch rocket. I eventually dropped out of college to take the job I'm out now (where I own a business) and I find myself at 10,000 post on AS[org].

Well, that's my 10,000 post recollection of from my first post on as[org] to tonight. I've enjoyed every minute of my life over these past 10k post and now I'm living a job that I have fun at, enjoy the challenge, and feel a sense of accomplishment. And I've made some wondering friends from this place (yall know who you are). I wonder what the next 10k post will be like....

kkbbcute
05-31-2009, 08:08 AM
Wow, congrats on your 10K post!

May you continue to help others on this forum and enjoy yourself at the same time! ;)

Paul Ferrie
05-31-2009, 08:13 AM
Congrats m8. I am more than sure that you helped me on more than one occasion.

evride
05-31-2009, 01:44 PM
nice job man.

wvxvw
05-31-2009, 06:20 PM
Decided I will not speak about Decorator pattern :D

Gratz!!!

Cota
06-01-2009, 05:07 AM
You're catching up... ;) The reflection was a very nice touch. Well done!

CyanBlue
06-01-2009, 03:33 PM
Sweet... Thanks for all the help you've done at the forum... ;)

maskedMan
06-01-2009, 04:11 PM
Absolutely congratulations, Flash. Your posts have given me a lot of food for thought over the past two years, even before registering my account.

Did you build the back-end of the system as well, or were you working strictly with Flash?

-Ev-
06-01-2009, 07:35 PM
Nice milestone!

So when do we get to see the two-year project?

Flash Gordon
06-02-2009, 03:33 AM
Thanks ya'll :)

@maskedMan, I mostly just did Flash and managed the backend.
@-Ev-, I stopped posting personal info on the site awhile ago when another member was harassing me. Sorry, but no link for the project :(

Flash Gordon
06-04-2009, 05:20 PM
thank you for understanding. For those of you that would like to see, you can PM me. But please keep it personal and not on the forums.

best.