PDA

View Full Version : Chicken vs. Egg, chapter II

kaska
05-03-2001, 03:16 AM
It's important to have a coherent design in media available to a majority of people, but who gets your attention first? When you're putting together a design concept for a site, do you start with the basic HTML (which is able to be viewed by almost everybody?), and then add the flash, or do your design ideas reflect more the higher denominator, revolving around the Flash possibilities, and then re-writing the site for those "poor" people that are working from places that don't have enough bandwidth to support Flash sites? As I'm likely to be doing sites that will be viewed by people as diverse as Americans on T1 lines to Polish with a very slow dial-up connection on an already over-saturated network, I'm trying to figure out where I should concentrate my time...

Any ideas are much appreciated,

-Kaska

Jesse
05-03-2001, 12:17 PM
I haven't designed a commercial site in some time but I think the idea of ballance is still applicable. Purely HTML or Flash sites are both redundant. Flash is still not dynamic enough and HTML is boring without copious amounts of graphics. I think to strike a balance between fancy Flash and practicle HTML is the idea. In general I would use Flash for navigation purposes but HTML for content I think... but of course it depends on the project we're talking about...

Cheers

Jesse

crabyard
05-04-2001, 11:40 AM
As Karl Marx said, every problem has its difference.
agree with Jesse.

but as to myself (and also our designgroup), I created a pure HTML site with Dreamweaver(layers&table) and Fireworks(rollovers) 1.5 years ago. Since taking Flash, I've been not launching DW or FW.
oh my......

And what do you mean by saying "flash is not yet dynamic enough", jesse?

Jesse
05-04-2001, 12:25 PM
Flash's failure to fully comply with the progress of the market towards database driven sites, and yet also allow graphical implimentation. For example, the inability to load dynamically generated or selected images into Flash, which I hope to see in Flash 6.

Don't get me wrong, it's very close, but I'm a hard judge of great products.

Cheers

Jesse

crabyard
05-04-2001, 01:35 PM
ya, you are right. flash can do nothing about dynamic graphics. but flash5 has been enabled to part with XML, it's been a great improvement. ahhh..... got another thing to learn, huh.....

Jesse
05-04-2001, 01:41 PM
heheh I meant to learn XML. I don't know anything about it atm. I don't have time though, too busy teaching other people Flash ! :) Soon they will all surpass me and I will come crawling back to them for hlep hehe

Cheers

Jesse