PDA

View Full Version : Image distortion

Staticreator
01-22-2003, 03:14 PM
I'm making a game that doesn't use any effects of flash, just uses Actionscript to manipulate small gif images. My code is fine (I hope), but when I export my movie, the graphics appear distorted. This is strange because when debugging, they look fine. Also, when I view the properties of an image the distortion appears there too. I've included a zip file containing the original image (before I imported it), and a snapshot of the properties of the image after being imported.
This distortion ruins the effect of the game, so I'll have to abandon it if I can't fix this. Can anybody help?

cheez
01-22-2003, 08:21 PM
Are you publishing the flash *.swf at 100% jpg quality? The default is usually 80% and this does have a great impact on your non-vector art images. Give this a double-check ;)

See ya,
Cheez

Staticreator
01-22-2003, 08:25 PM
Yeah it is at 100%, anything else?

cheez
01-22-2003, 09:04 PM
does the published size (550x400 or whatever) jive with what your html has inside for embedding the flash movie? sometimes the size of the original swf and the dimensions as specified in the html page cause graphics to look like SHITE!

i'll keep thinking but just wanted to jot this down...

See ya ;)
-Cheez

01-22-2003, 10:10 PM
If you let a dreamweaver embedes swf, will it be quicker to upload the data to see the movie playing or publish the movie alone on flash???? Which way is faster and better?

Staticreator
01-23-2003, 03:15 PM
Yeah, they are the same, and if you check the attachment, you'll see that even within the program itself it distorts the image.

Staticreator
01-23-2003, 03:23 PM
Oh wait, I probably should of added, I have a png among my gifs, and it has no trouble displaying clearly.

cheez
01-23-2003, 11:16 PM
How about right-clicking on the image while it's in the library? Go to properties. There are a few tabs regarding compression, smoothing and some other variables. Try lossless compression. Couldn't really tell the difference but I was using static images.

Good luck,
Cheez

For what it's worth, both your files for download don't work on my system with quicktime, paint etc...is there something else I should be using. How about posting the *.fla...

Staticreator
01-24-2003, 05:55 PM
That image lossless thing didn't help, sorry. But I do have the .fla
Here you go: example.fla (http://www.freewebs.com/staticreator/example.fla)
I took out all the stuff that wasn't needed to show you the problem, while editing the program, nothing seems to be wrong....even while debugging. It's just when you export it or view the properties of the gif images in the library, the image is distorted.

And by the way, no laughing, I'm a big fan of Megaman :P

cheez
01-24-2003, 10:42 PM
Have we tried saving the gifs as jpgs then re-importing? Is this possible to try? What is your software for dealing with this type of stuff...photoshop or the like?

you might want to repost your question as well to try to get some new blood to respond 'cause I'm plumb out of ideas! Depending on your graphic/image/photo software try doing a search with that as the subject...see if you can come up with anything that way.

No laughing at megaman from this dude!;)

Good luck,
-Cheez