PDA

View Full Version : Multiplayer game: FLEX or FLASH

smurfske
08-26-2009, 03:58 PM
Hello everybody!

I am working on a real-time multiplayer game right now with smarfoxserver etc.
But yesterday when I was searching on the web, I encountered site about adobe flex.
Now my question is: Is flex faster with online multiplayer games than flash, and therefore better for my game?
My game is pretty heavy, so I really need fast working communication.
I am almost done with my game in flash, so if the difference in nil, I probably won't switch to flex.

Does anybody have tips about this.
Thanks in advance.

fnx
08-27-2009, 09:23 AM
Hello smurfske,
I work with smartfox server everyday with both flash and flex. I think I don't understand your post completely.. If your problem is server communication speed, then is the smartfox that is not enough for your needs. If your game is heavy on the client side (say lots of stuff on the screen) then flash and flex are basic the same. First because they are both coded in AS3, second because the SWF produced is processed in the same way by the flash player (maybe not 100% equal but 99, except for the swf startup).

Conclusion:
-The game is slow on serverside, look for smartfox alternatives
-The game is slow on client side, as you've almost finished the flash version, keep it and try to optimize it as much as you can.

Hope this helps :)

smurfske
08-27-2009, 09:42 AM
Thank you for your reply fnx!
I' ve one little question. If people want to play my game, my server must be running day and night, am I correct? But I don't want my pc running all the time, and I can't afford some kind of hosting service. So: what excactly should I do? There could be hundred connections at th same time, and I don't think my pc can handle that anyway.
Again, thanks in advance!

sam.uk.net
08-27-2009, 10:50 AM
Hi!

If your running a server for people to connect to, you need to have the computer on all the time you want your server to be accessible. You could try putting your computer into sleep mode but make sure that the server still runs in sleep mode.

Good luck! :cool:

sam.uk.net