PDA

View Full Version : I'm considering using AS.org for code samples; Any thoughts?

Noct
11-04-2009, 06:05 PM
Hey guys, just hoping to get a little feedback on this...

I'm in the process of putting myself "back out there" after a long stretch at the same corporation. I'm running into a little trouble finding samples to show prospective employers due to the NDAs I've signed, so I'm looking for some creative solutions.

My original plan was to throw together a bunch of sample files to use for show, but apart from the fact that (IMO) it would scream lack of experience; it's also just too time-consuming of a concept for me right now. I need to get myself out there today, not in six weeks...

So, I'm wondering now if it wouldn't be beneficial to link a search query of my posts here to a "See further examples of my code" type of option. It seems like it would not only be a great way to show an employer Flash/AS skills, but also prove some ability to solve problems and read/fix other dev's code.

So...thoughts? Does this idea seem cheesy? Is there any reason why Jesse would take issue with it? Does anybody else here do it?

senocular
11-04-2009, 06:10 PM
I (personally) think it would be confusing and unprofessional. If you need to be out there "today", then I guess you can do that for now, but only to give yourself enough time work on having your own sample files up in your own domain. Even something quick and dirty there would be better than tossing someone to some external forum site with random postings of awesomeness.

ASWC
11-04-2009, 06:42 PM
I do agree with Senocular. I think this might scare away employers. I rarely point out my tutorials here either even tough a quarter million people viewed them.

CyanBlue
11-04-2009, 07:11 PM
Well, put yourself in the shoes of the person who's looking for a person to work with... If you were given a link where there are tons of words to read, you probably will skip through and look for something visual... and if you don't see anything interesting from the list, you move on to the next link and probably to the next person...

I'd say create a simple list of the links along with the some screenshots and post it as a simple HTML file where you can click on them to navigate through... That sure will take some time, but that won't take more than half days of work if you already have a list of the stuff you'd like to show... And then, you can start working on something better cuz you bought yourself some time...

asf8
11-04-2009, 07:31 PM
Just link to Senocular's site as your examples, then once you secure the job and work there for 6 months or so and impress them, tell them that your not really Senocular. Which they should have figured out anyway themselves since you have two eyes and he has six. :p

No serious, just use your coding goodness to whip something together at your own domain, with your skills you should have somthing awesome in less than a week. Hope things work out to your liking Noct, I know you have been debating things for a while with your current company.

I hate NDA's, for this very purpose. :(

I like CyanBlue's idea of picking some good ones, maybe doing a little write up, example SWF on each and have a list, maybe whip up some new ones also. Perhaps a simple blog would be a easy way to present things, or as CyanBlue said just some nice simple HTML page. That way your examples are centralized and also look more professional on your own domain. You could always have some links if they want to get more indepth, but get their attention first and gain their interest as CyanBlue suggested.

If you really need it today then go back to the idea of using Senocular's site (just kidding). ;)

CyanBlue
11-04-2009, 07:43 PM
I like the idea of using senocular's site... You do need to get several more eyes to do that though... :p

Check out Cota's portfolio site... That design should be something you can come up quick and useful for the purpose... You just need to fill it up with the content...

NDA... I always ask if I can use the project on my portfolio site when I start working on the project, and I think I have got at least 75% success on getting the permission... and it won't hurt to ask even if they don't allow me to do so... So, just try that next time... ;)

senocular
11-04-2009, 07:52 PM
The funny thing is I don't have anything that's really worthy of a portfolio. Even my FLA files are simplistic and old. Just going to my site doesn't say a lot about who I am - the forums are probably a better representation for me too : P : D

wvxvw
11-04-2009, 11:24 PM
Remembered an old joke about two HR managers. The young one and the old one stayed late in the office to sort out a pile of job applications. And it comes to be a really huge lot of them, so, they aren't likely to finish it soon...
The young one:
- thinks of an efficient way to skim through the CVs, automate the process etc...
The old one:
- splits the files in two and throws the half of them into the trash can.
The young one:
- "Whoa! How could you!?"
The old one:
- "Well, we don't need the loosers anyway..."
:)

ASWC
11-04-2009, 11:43 PM
I don't mind NDA, I show what I did anyway as a link that I send to the potential employer ... Sue me! ;)

Noct
11-05-2009, 03:09 PM
Sweet, thanks for the input guys. This is exactly why I asked; it just seemed like it was a bit too cheesy...
I rarely point out my tutorials here either even tough a quarter million people viewed them.
I dunno about that man; I think that's a whole other animal... I'm not suggesting I'd list tutorial writing as a bullet point on my resume, but I would surely have that work available on my site for prospective employers to see. Heck, I just signed up as an author here for that very purpose.
Just link to Senocular's site as your examples, then once you secure the job and work there for 6 months or so and impress them, tell them that your not really Senocular. Heh, sweet plan...till they ask me to actually reproduce something they saw there...
1.) "We need this 3D carousel"
2.) "Nah, what you want is something old school; no navigation of any kind, just one continuos scrolling page."
3.) "Get out."
NDA... I always ask if I can use the project on my portfolio site when I start working on the project, and I think I have got at least 75% success on getting the permission... and it won't hurt to ask even if they don't allow me to do so... So, just try that next time... ;)

Heh, yeah well, that's the least of the lessons I've learned working for this corporation, but I hear you... Going forward, there's a lot of things I intend to do differently, especially if I end up sub-contracted again... Shudder*
I have asked this place outright if I could use some samples, they said absolutely not. Of course, its shipped commercially available software, so I suppose I could always just bring a store-bought copy of the actual software to interviews. Won't help me with sample flas, but at least it shows the end results.
The funny thing is I don't have anything that's really worthy of a portfolio. Even my FLA files are simplistic and old. Just going to my site doesn't say a lot about who I am - the forums are probably a better representation for me too : P : D
Exactly. I've got samples, but they are from 5+ years ago... They may as well be in Visual Basic; Night and day from what I'm doing now.
If you said Oop to me five years ago, I would have thought you dropped something.

Ok then, this idea is officially a bust.
Thanks again guys; I'll be on the roof if anyone needs me.
:p

senocular
11-05-2009, 03:12 PM
If you said Oop to me five years ago, I would have thought you dropped something.

Nice : )

asf8
11-05-2009, 03:33 PM
I'll be on the roof if anyone needs me.

Well concerning that you may want to consult with this other member for feedback then...

matthewjumpsoffbuildings (http://www.actionscript.org/forums/member.php3?u=61186)

...or start another thread. :p

asf8
11-05-2009, 03:42 PM
The funny thing is I don't have anything that's really worthy of a portfolio.

I am sure you could code a "FWA S.O.T.M" in like 480 minutes or less however. :p