PDA

View Full Version : Flash to record command line data

Gambyt
11-19-2009, 04:32 PM
Hey all,
I am researching how to develop a flash app that records ping and network data and graphs it. Has anyone reading this had any experience in accessing command line with Flash or know of anyone that has done something like this? I am not sure if I need a connection service using JAVA or something along those lines to make a sammich of software.

I want to do something like this
http://www.void.gr/kargig/blog/2007/03/21/round-trip-and-packet-loss-stats-with-rrdtool/

Thanks

RogerClark
11-19-2009, 08:08 PM
Interesting problem...

Does it need to run in the browser or as an exe ??

In the browser, probably your only option is to use Java to do the pinging and record the data then use Flash to present it.
But you may as well write the whole thing in Java.

I've found that running both Flash and Java in the same browser window is unreliable, i.e not supported by all browsers.
Though, it may work better in separate iFrames

As an exec you could use the northcode proxy exe to start ping from the command line; redirecting the output of the ping to a file, then read the file into flash using the URLLoader.

But this approach is really clunky, as there is no way for flash to tell if the ping has completed.

Another alternative if you want an exe is to use something like MDM Zinc and write a custom dll to do the ping functionality.

Gambyt
11-19-2009, 08:28 PM
dang, I didn't think about that part. I thought about the java/flash as well but I didn't think of the part that Flash wouldnt know when the program had completed running the ping. Not a hittest or anything like that would work? I guess it would need something to que from perhaps? That just sucks though it cant access command line directly. And you have a point, why not do that whole thing in JAVA. There is already something called JPERF for windows and IPERF for linux but that is clunky and not very user friendly.