PDA

View Full Version : 1st EVER site :) need some feedback ;) PLEASE :)

eyedea
05-07-2001, 09:41 PM
:) THANKS EVERYBODY FOR ALL YOUR HELP !!! :)

Finally... I made it... it's done... almost unbelievable but I made it!
Just put up my first EVER site! :)
Thanks everybody :) who had part in bringing me this far! :) All your help and tips and... well, you know... :) :) :)

I now would appreciate some feedback. Anything really...
I do realize that on slower modem it is a very heavy site, too large, download time too long... but I would still be interested to know how bad it really is, and how it is being viewd on smaller monitor sizes...

But any thoughts would be great! :)

http://www.graphiceyedea.f2s.com

THANKS AGAIN... happy flashing, Prisca

Perlaki
05-08-2001, 04:55 PM
Nice look to the site, modern and easy to use with a different navigation approach.
One hint for your next project, is to use layers for each flash movie instead of loading a new html page all the time.
Plus, don't OD on the smileys :)
See ya,
Si.

eyedea
05-08-2001, 06:06 PM
Hallo Si,
thanks for checking my site! Glad you liked the navigation...!!!

About the usage of layers... I'm not exactly sure what you mean...? - I'm new to this so please excuse my ignorance!
I had help from somene I met on here to get the site uploaded and working. - I had set it up in Flash and had each section as swf and then loading them into level 1, ie: "on (release) {loadMovieNum ("moviename.swf", 1);}
On my computer it was working perfectly, then I put it through Dreamweaver, to get it ready for upload and it was running fine on my comoputer but once it was on the net... it seemed to be hanging, especially for the graphics heavy section (portfolio). That's why my friend suggested to load it into a seperate HTML.
I had hoped that with my approach, even though it would take a bit to load, once loaded - the whole site would run smooth and fast (only 1 preloader at the beginning, not for each section seperately).

The layers you are talking about? - Would I do that in Dreamweaver?

If you have any thoughts on this - it would help me a great deal as I'm only a beginner when it comes to webdesign.

And sorry about the :)s... but I was just sooo.... happy :)
Thanks again, Prisca

rbrasof
05-09-2001, 06:31 PM
I hate being negative, but this a poor use of Flash. This site loaded very slowly (even on my T1 line) and wasn't worth the wait. You could have acomplished everything using HTML and javascript and be just as effective. I know Flash is cool, but there has to be a reason to use it, not just to hog up bandwidth with poor design and poor use of screen real estate. To inspire you and to help understand what I'm talking about, go to http://www.coolhomepages.com and check out the Flash section. There you will get an idea of some great Flash sites that have been designed to take advantage of the medium.

eyedea
05-09-2001, 07:45 PM
rbrasof,
thanks for being honest! - I will go and check out that link!
But in my defense I have to say that I am not a website designer! - Never had any training in it and have struggled long with trying to figure it out. I almost gave up - then when Flash started becoming more popular and frequently used - I decided to create my site using only Flash.
I'm basically a Graphic Designer (sorry that you consider my skills to be so poor) who just put up a site to venture into new territory. And personally speaking - I don't think I did THAT bad, I've had quite a few compliments on it, as well...
Thanks anyway, Prisca

rbrasof
05-09-2001, 07:59 PM
There is no need to defend yourself. I too am a graphic designer turned web designer. We have to be honest to each other and accept criticism to become better designers. Trust me, I've had my share of criticism and still get it all the time! The web is a very unique design challenge that not every designer can cross over too. Here is some more sites that really helped me and should help you as well.

http://www.flashkit.com
http://www.builder.com

Hey, check out the site I just finished and let me know what you think. http://www.alanbrooks.com

[Edited by rbrasof on 05-09-2001 at 03:02 PM]

eyedea
05-09-2001, 09:21 PM
Yes, I agree, that's why I'm glad you were honest with me. I can take criticism, don't worry!

I am a member of FlashKit already, learnt tons... the other one I don't know.. Thanks!

Now to your site: overall I liked it a lot, and it does load very fast and is easy to use. - Your little square animation is wonderful, very nice! And there are quite a few excellent little details in there that are just wonderful :)
And I know, looking at your site, what you mean by mine not being good use of Flash.
But that's exactly what bothers me about yours... You're advertising a company there, corporate, advertising services etc... so it's perfect for your purpose! But it does looks very predictable (which in your case it needs to be), there's a lot of sites out there following the same arrangements in navigation, all nice and neat in boxes or frames... - but to be honest - I like sites that try to achieve a different look, ... have originality and character... I dont quite know how to explain myself here... - I know you probably didn't take a look at all of my site as it is slow, but on my links section I've got a few that I really love the design of, all very different but brilliant!

Lots of it is probably a matter of taste...

Annie
05-09-2001, 10:28 PM
I find this troublesome from a usability standpoint. On the home page, there's not enough contrast between the text and background. I went to the Portfolio section and honestly could not figure out how to view your work. OK, I clicked on businesscards (a space would be good there) on the commissioned work side. Since you have both a horizontal & vertical scroll viewed at 800x600 (not a good thing), I didn't see the buttons pop up on the right. Tried clicking the little box next to businesscards, nothing. When I did realize that something was happening off to the right, the row of buttons blending into the background weren't much of a clue. I thought that the personal work side was even more confusing. The system of small, medium & large boxes for closing various sections of the page is VERY confusing. Most users will intuitively see a box with an X inside as a close box thanks to the Windows GUI but even then, there shouldn't be multiple close boxes on a single screen with no indication of what it is they close.

I'm not qualified to critique your art, I kind of like it actually. Your navigational structure needs help (and when an earlier commenter said it was "different", I don't think that meant "good").

eyedea
05-10-2001, 01:01 PM
Annie,
thanks for taking the time to check my site - sorry you had trouble with the navigation... there is a little questionmark in the left corner, fading in and out which is supposed to help if you've got problems with using the navigation, it says rollover the button to view details and click it to view the image, the square box is to close down submenus or the images. Maybe it's not obvious enough, doesn't sound as if you saw it...

Thanks for your time! Prisca