PDA

View Full Version : FScommand exec

bluefinger
02-14-2003, 01:24 PM
Does anyone know if it's possible to open an external file in Flash with an external application? I read something in the tutorial section of this site regarding this problem, but it's written for Flash 4 and I can't seem to get it to work in FMX. I read some stuff on Macromedia's site regarding this, and they say that you can open an external .exe, but not an external file....

Any ideas?

I need to open a .avi in an external application....

Mike

02-14-2003, 02:02 PM
From the MM site

Note: exec is not capable of opening a specific file with an application, just the application itself. One way to open files is to use exec to launch a Windows batch (BAT) file or Macintosh AppleScript file that then opens files in the desired application. A third-party tool that can open specific files on Windows without using batch files is available from Flashjester.

If you are not working on Mac I could provide u with a script. At least I could try. :)

bluefinger
02-14-2003, 03:00 PM
Thanks for the reply Avatar. Actually, I read the same thing this morning on Macromedia's site.

How difficult would if be to write a .bat file?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Mike

02-14-2003, 03:37 PM
Don't know. I'm a MAC user ;)
So if u need an Applescript I can help u!

DiDi
02-15-2003, 09:01 AM
There are free tools for opening files with Flash 5/MX projectors :)... Check resources section here:

Flash Projectors and Crossplatform CD Burning FAQ (http://usuarios.lycos.es/didinomade/ProjectorsBurningFAQ.htm) (be patient, it's free server and it may be down sometimes :()

Hope this helps...

DD