PDA

View Full Version : new components section

buggedcom
02-14-2003, 06:45 PM
Jesse i can't seem to find any components within the new section. Are you going to have a list of different sections like in the library section. Is there any components in there yet?

jimburton
02-14-2003, 08:45 PM
did you upload any yet bugged?:D

buggedcom
02-14-2003, 08:50 PM
no not yet, i'm still polishing off imageWeaver, new user interface and speeding up the code. I have registered though. how about yourself?

Actually i made a little webcam one, tell you what i'll upload that now.

also i'm trying to think of a new name for imageWeaver as i found there;s actually a company called that and i don't want people to think its come from them. any ideas? my tutor rekons it should be something really obscure, but he likes really strange stuff.

jimburton
02-14-2003, 09:02 PM
I have a couple that I will upload, basic stuff, an alert thing that does the same modes as javascript and one for making bar graphs...I dunno about a name for your slideshow job, what about yourSlides, or JabberwockySlideshowMX (guess I'm like your tutor...)

Jesse
02-14-2003, 10:16 PM
At present there is one component in the system :) When there are more we will have paginated lists like the movies section, by category.

freddycodes
02-14-2003, 10:18 PM
Yeah I added my datagrid to it, but like bugged said there is no way to browse them. And as Jesse alluded to I guess we will have to wait for some more.

buggedcom
02-14-2003, 10:22 PM
perhaps a little button in the top nav bar with the others?I'm gonna upload my webcam one now

Jesse
02-14-2003, 10:27 PM
Yeha I'm waiting for Strok to add it to the navigation. He's pretty busy.

By the way, we need lots of help spreading the word about the new section, so please let everyone know :) Tell your dog!

freddycodes
02-14-2003, 10:30 PM
Jesse,

You mentioned that there was only one component in the system as of yet, can you tell us which one. I submitted mine a while back and want to make sure its in there? freddyDataGrid?

buggedcom
02-14-2003, 10:37 PM
just uped mine. I take it you have to give them the once over b4 you make them public. have you considered emailing the peeps who upped the components at flashcomponents.net to up their ones here? when compent headquarters opened i recieved an email from them asking if i could upload there to. (http://componenthq.entclosure.com).

If you want i can do that for you, i've got a spare few mins.

Jesse
02-14-2003, 10:52 PM
I'd rather not as that would come off as spamming people. We've got a mailing list with 15,000 people on it... hopefully word will get around.

buggedcom
02-14-2003, 10:58 PM
fair enuf. i hadn't thought of it like that. actuallt component hq are a bit cheeky cos i updated my component at flashcomponents.net but forgot about hq for a while. when i remembered i went back to update and found that they had updated it themselves.

on another subject when i eventually upload imageweaver how should i go about doing that as it needs a presetup gallery for a preview? Should i just upload a swf that contains a link to my site which will feature demos? Also i would prefer to have the downloads coming from my site as then i can monitor all the dloads myself, is that possible?

Jesse
02-15-2003, 01:53 AM
We don't link outsourced content any more. We learned not to do that when a few tutorial authors posted their sample son their websites (or important files for the tutorials) and then their sites went offline permanently renderring the tutorials useless.
We're going to add a download tracker to each component but that's down the track a bit.
If you do decide to upload it and it needs local JPEGs or whetever, you can upload at most two via the form, then just send the rest to us with the name of the component and we'll upload them for you.

buggedcom
02-16-2003, 04:47 PM
ok Jesse, I'm just sorting out a preview of the gallery, but i am pondering as to wether or not the example swf can use the associated php files. if so what version are you compatible to?

Jesse
02-17-2003, 10:44 AM
We generally don't allow it but sometimes we make exceptions ;) 4.0.6 only I'm afraid. Needs an update but we can't atm.

buggedcom
02-17-2003, 10:56 AM
that's ok if you don't i'll just set it to read from text files then.

Jesse
02-17-2003, 11:01 AM
Prolly better if it's just a demo. Easier for us.

buggedcom
02-22-2003, 01:47 PM
Jesse i'm just writing out a function list for my gallery component, but i was wondering how the components section displays the component description text because i was looking at

http://www.actionscripts.org/components/showComponent.php?id=5

and it appears as if there should be line breaks in there but there isn't, can the description text accomadate for line breaks, if so what kind of code does it operate on, ie vb, or html ? Also can it accomadate for bold tags aswell?

Strok
02-22-2003, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by buggedcom
Jesse i'm just writing out a function list for my gallery component, but i was wondering how the components section displays the component description text because i was looking at

http://www.actionscripts.org/components/showComponent.php?id=5

and it appears as if there should be line breaks in there but there isn't, can the description text accomadate for line breaks, if so what kind of code does it operate on, ie vb, or html ? Also can it accomadate for bold tags aswell?
Use <br>
to brake a line.

buggedcom
02-22-2003, 11:46 PM
ta

buggedcom
02-24-2003, 02:23 AM
one last questio nbefore i upload, i was talking earlier about using php in the example, but i'm now using text files the only thing that needs php if the force download option. would it be alright to include this in the upload? the file code is below just so you can see it's nothing nasty

<?php

$file = $_GET["file"];
download($file);
function download($file, $name = false, $type = false, $down = true) {
if(!file_exists($file)){
print "failed";
exit;
}
if(!$name) $name = basename($file);
if($down) $type = "application/force-download";
else if(!$type) $type = "application/download";
$disp = $down ? "attachment" : "inline";
#header ("HTTP/1.0 204 No Content" );
header("Content-disposition: ".$disp."; filename=$name");
header("Content-length: ".filesize($file));
header("Content-type: ".$type);
header("Connection: close");
header("Expires: 0");
set_time_limit(0 ) ;
readfile($file);
exit;
}
?>

Jesse
02-24-2003, 04:10 AM
Looks cool to me

buggedcom
03-03-2003, 12:17 PM
hmmm Jesse, I was just pondering as to why all the component previews have a transparnet background with a black html background behind it. Is this suppose to be or is it just a mac thang? because it makes some of the previews hard to understand.

Jesse
03-04-2003, 04:36 AM
Unlike the movies section we don't ask for the BG color of the movie and I think that's a mistake to be honest. I might add that as a field to the submit form/database because it's proving to cause lots of ppl issues.