PDA

View Full Version : [AS2] Will a Windows Projector EXE exported from Flash CS4 play on..

hgzee
03-24-2010, 07:50 PM
.. a machine running an older version of Windows such as Windows 95??

The reason I ask is because I am creating a presentation using the Projector EXE publish settings - but the presentation will be held in pre-school/kindergarten classrooms so there is a good chance the presentation might need to be run on really old PCs still running Windows 95.

I am having a hard time finding any documentation on this, so if anyone might have a clue, please let me know!

I really don't want to have to go the DVD-ROM route of putting this thing together, I would much rather prefer to use Flash!

Thanks!!

CyanBlue
03-24-2010, 08:12 PM
When you create a projector from the Flash IDE, Flash automatically includes Flash Player inside of it so that you can simply double click on the EXE to execute it... So, technically you should be able to run it anywhere just fine...

The problem could happen when you are using some CPU intensive routines that might stutter on older machine...

northcode
03-24-2010, 09:14 PM
The Flash player has some minimum hardware and software requirements too, just like any other application. Newer versions of the player may not be supported on older operating systems and may not work well on older hardware.

Check out http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/systemreqs/

Flash Player 10 is only supported on:

- Microsoft® Windows Vista®
- Microsoft Windows XP
- Microsoft Windows Server® 2003
- Microsoft Windows Server 2008
- Microsoft Windows 2000
- Microsoft Windows 7

That doesn't mean that it will outright fail on older operating systems but since the player may depend on newer APIs there's a very good chance that it will fail.

That's for the browser plugin but the standalone player requirements are going to be pretty close to, if not exactly, the same.