PDA

View Full Version : ActionScript Dev Portfolios

FEK315
04-25-2010, 04:56 PM
I have followed a lot of the links you all have posted in your signatures.
It seems that most of you have used a Blog for your ActionScript portfolio.
Why did you not build a Flash / AS3 websight?
Is it a better Idea to use a Blog then a hand made website, why is that?
I am asking because I am looking for work as an AS developer / Flash designer.
I am almost finish building a HTML,CSS site that has ActionScript / Flash examples in it.
Did I just waste my time?:eek:

Any suggestions would be helpful. TNX

maskedMan
04-25-2010, 05:17 PM
I don't think it's a waste of time to make an all-flash portfolio site. Some corporate portfolio sites themselves are all-flash.

For my part, I once had a portfolio site that I coded by hand. It was important to do this because the site was aimed at displaying a general competence with HTML, JavaScript, CSS, and ActionScript all at the same time. Since switching my focus to ActionScript, that old site didn't have the same relevance as it once did.

Given that I have a demanding full-time job, I don't have a lot of time to write a full-flash site. I do however, have the time to set up a premade wordpress blog, change the stylesheets, and put a teaser of what I'm capable of in Flash as my banner. The wordpress route also has the advantage of allowing you to set up a more traditional "website" structure with the page tabs. For example, if I wanted to expand the site and set up a "Scriptocalypse Labs" section in which I post experiments, I could do that.

Could I do all that with a site that's 100% hand-made? Sure! Is it worth the time investment when I'm already so crunched? Probably not.

FEK315
04-25-2010, 06:11 PM
Yeah that makes a whole lotta sense. Maybe down the line i'll put in a blog but for know I need to Learn more CSS and AS3 so its good practice :-)
Thank you