PDA

View Full Version : Optimizing image assets downloading/preloading: separate image files or packed swf?

chanon
05-07-2010, 06:51 PM
Hello,

We are working on a Facebook game using flash and are wondering about the best way to manage image resources.

Since the game will have lots of buyable items, there are lots of images required.

Suppose that we decide to preload 20-30 of these item images and other images. Would it make sense to package these into a single SWF and download them once to increase download speed (by decreasing amount of separate requests required)?

Or is the speed gain not worth the hassle?

In the simple case (not packaged swf), if we decide to change the graphics for one of the images and upload a new version of it will the browser/flash player know that it needs to get a new version instead of the one in the cache?

Thank you for your thoughts!!

wvxvw
05-07-2010, 07:05 PM
Would it make sense to package these into a single SWF and download them once to increase download speed (by decreasing amount of separate requests required)?

Or is the speed gain not worth the hassle?
Yes it will, for small images it may take more time to just connect to the server and get the answer back than the time required to load them.
Why would this be a hassle? It is absolutely possible to automate the process.

chanon
05-08-2010, 05:09 AM
I see, thanks!!

Durnus
05-17-2010, 06:34 PM
Maybe you can post a tutorial about packing images, wvxvw, because I just tried to pack my graphics into a single swf and couldn't manage it. In fact, I posted about it here: http://www.actionscript.org/forums/showthread.php3?t=238831. Thanks.