PDA

View Full Version : What are you using for your minimal screen height?

wownflutter
05-12-2010, 12:32 AM
1024x768 is one of the least popular resolutions, but still used my much of our audience.

From this, what is the actual viewing area of the screen that we should be designing for?

I know this snug on an iMac...

I was thinking 1024x630?

Input encouraged, thanks!

wvxvw
05-12-2010, 01:14 AM
In any case I'd subtract 16 pixels from the width because, if for whatever reason the user will have the scrollbar it will mess things up. On Windows I often encountered this tendency:
- people who use Office programs most of the time tend to have more toolbars (less screen space).
- artistic users may sometimes have the most screen space (would turn on autohide for the Windows main toolbar). Also it's uncommon for artistic users to have small monitors / screen resolution.
- programmers (not web) may put the toolbars vertically and have several rows of icons in there (weird). Also, if the monitor supports that they may often rotate it into vertical position.
- programmers (web) would often use FireFox / Chrome / Opera for their main browser of which Chrome has the most of the screen space and Opera may have a side bar always opened...
So, it really depends on your audience.

wownflutter
05-12-2010, 01:57 AM
Thanks for weighing in, much appreciated.

What would you suggest for the height?

ahrengot
05-20-2010, 09:01 PM
the 960 grid is a popurlar one, and for a lot of reasons.

Check it out here. http://960.gs/

For sites without scroll we often use 550-575px as the max height.