PDA

View Full Version : Validated Flash XHTML

FEK315
05-19-2010, 03:18 AM
I am looking for an XHTML solution to embedding my Flash movie in to my web page.
I saw the Satay Method but I don't quite understand it.
I am concerned about validation because I am looking for work.

What method do you all use?
TNX

snickelfritz
05-19-2010, 06:03 AM
swfobject, and PHP for alternate content.

FEK315
05-19-2010, 06:14 AM
Is there a tutorial you think is good?
Thank you

adninjastrator
05-26-2010, 03:15 AM
I agree that swfobject is the way to go but why
PHP for alternate content
swfobject already takes care of the alt content issue. So why muddy the waters by throwing in something from PHP.
OK, this post is about a Flash movie...Using swfobject, you can include just about any type of alt content you can dream of without PHP. So what is to be gained? Does the movie include some interactive, viewer selections that need to be evaluated by some server side script? That's about the only time that PHP alt content would come into play. But hey, I'm open to learning more ways to provide alt content.
On that note I'll share a little on providing alt content with just swfobject.
Flash video that displays on the iPhone (actually a CSS, Flash z-index tutorial):
http://www.cidigitalmedia.com/tutorials/qt/play_qt.html
But wait! The iPhone doesn't support Flash video.... well check the source code for the alt content....
Client sends me a jpeg saying "Here's my new Web page!" AAHHH... OK..??? Oh sh.... OK, can do! It's perfect! Beautiful! Great job!
So my job...convert that jpeg into a .swf and write meaningful alt content to give that page some SEO value.
http://www.ksowetsuits.com/
The only way to really appreciate the value of providing alt content is to view the source code. Complete site navigation (non-Flash) as well as several paragraphs and <ul> of text content.
In another case I provided a complete text transcript of a video as alt content and had that narration indexed by Google within 4 hours!
So use swfobject and create some meaningful alt content or transcipt of your video. Great way to validate and make waves with Google.
Best wishes,
Adninjastrator

snickelfritz
05-26-2010, 04:22 AM
Create an HTML page with the text content for your flash movie.
Load the page into flash and assign it to a textfield.
Use PHP to assign the page to the alternate content div in your swfObject embed.
You now have a very basic content management system, alternate HTML content for non-flash devices, and semantically relevant text content that search engines can index.

FEK315
06-22-2010, 05:17 AM
Thank you guys!