PDA

View Full Version : GoToFrame in movie when loading HTML page

AndySmith
03-07-2003, 05:16 PM
Hi,

I have a navigation bar produced in Flash with five options. The rest of the page is in HTML.

When I first go to the site, option 1 is set to be highlighted (from within Flash). If I then click on option 2, a new html page is opened.

What I want to know is how to tell the Flash movie to go to 'frame 2' from within HTML so that when the new page appears, 'option 2' is highlighted in the movie.

Does anyone know a simple way of doing this?

Thanks for your help,

Andy

holtzy
03-07-2003, 06:16 PM
I'm not sure of the details, but if I understand you right you're wanting to pass a variable from one .swf in one html file to a different .swf in a different html file. Is this correct? If so, I have to ask why don't you just keep it in the same html file?

CyanBlue
03-07-2003, 07:04 PM
Howdy...

You could try this page (http://www.macromedia.com/support/flash/ts/documents/java_script_comm.htm) to achieve what you are asking... Do the search on the forum with 'setVariable' too to get more answers...

AndySmith
03-07-2003, 09:56 PM
Thanks for your replies,

I've probably either not explained very well or over explained what I want to do. I've checked out the link given to the Macromedia site and searched for 'setVariable' but can't find exactly what I need. The Macromedia link was close, but it seemed over complicated for what seems like a simple task.

Basically, what I want to do is load an HTML page that includes an embedded .SWF file.

When the page loads, I want to be able to send a command from the HTML page (possibly using javascript?), to the .SWF file, saying 'go to frame 2'.

Hope this makes it a bit clearer, and again - thanks for your help!

Andy

JoeMaday
03-07-2003, 10:18 PM
Check out using getURL. This allows you to send varible between webpages using the GET or POST function. If this doesn't at least steer you in the right direction look for anything that will allow you to GET or POST your variables to the next webpage, and in turn another method for grabbing those variables.

I'm doing this off the top of my head so I'm afraid I might not have been much help.

CyanBlue
03-08-2003, 01:20 AM
Um... Maybe I am not getting your question right... But as far as I understand your question, setVariable is the way to do it... Maybe it is abit of overkill, yes, but that's the only way I know... ;)