PDA

View Full Version : Server Side Actionscript Question


golfervrsboxer
06-09-2010, 08:06 PM
When I make changes to the main.asc file in an application directory, do the changes immediately take effect or is the old file "cached" so to speak.

I was playing around with the one for my app today and have gotten stuck because none of the changes seem to be reflected.

I started off this morning with 2 working server-side methods that I was accessing with NetConnection.call() and when I added a third one I got a NetConnection.Call.Failed error and now (after about 3 hours of tinkering) I do not even get that anymore.

Anyone have any theories as to why this is happening?

maskedMan
06-09-2010, 11:31 PM
It's been a while but if I recall correctly, you have to kick the server and make sure that there are no outstanding instances of the application in existence first.

golfervrsboxer
06-10-2010, 02:53 PM
I think you might be right. I realized that the application directory I was using was also in use by a beta version I put up a few weeks ago to get feedback. My guess is that there were people connecting to it throughout the day which is why the behavior was so erratic.


I made a copy of the directory to use especially for development but it still appears to have cached one of my main.asc files. At first it looked like it was working fine but now it is stuck in one of the old files, and my sandbox instance should be the only thing connecting to it.

Anybody know any ways of refreshing the server without access to the FMS Admin Console. I don't have the credentials to use it and my boss is away until Monday.

golfervrsboxer
06-14-2010, 03:11 PM
Turns out the previous poster and my intuitions were correct.

Most likely the irregular performance was at first because there were clients connecting to my app while i was changing the server side script.

Furthermore, now that I have access to the admin console I can connect a working copy of my app and refresh it with the Flash Media Server Administration console.

Probably a no brainer for anyone used to this sort of stuff but it was not an immediately obvious solution for when you server is returning values in a script that was modified several hours ago.