PDA

View Full Version : Chinese characters

subquark
06-11-2010, 01:28 PM
woof, been a while since i posted! *waves to CyanBlue*

we are creating a flash piece that draws text from an XML file (plus has static text in the interface) that will be deployed in China. we have done this same work using German characters but simplified Chinese is not seemingly so simple for us

in making dynamic text boxes, what is the minimal text size?

With English characters you can do 9 point because that takes care of letter ascenders and descenders. but Chinese characters are much more intricate (with the resultant huge swf file sizes once embedded)

also, any tips on embedding and testing? since we don't have a machine whose sysop page is Chinese we can't be sure that what looks okay to us will render legibly there

thanks =)

CyanBlue
06-11-2010, 03:27 PM
Woof... WTH!!! Look at that delicious olive... ;)

I thought that you don't Flash no more, in public that is... :p

I've got to admit that I have never successfully loaded CJK characters into Flash... Well, last time when I tried, it was like FMX era, so I am sure alot has changed since then... I still am not able to actually type any Korean characters inside the English version of Flash CS3 though... So, I guess nothing much has changed after all...

Font size... Um, I guess it depends on... I have no way of testing it in Flash right now, but I'll say this size 3 text are easy on my eyes... Size 2 is also readable, but I have to squint my eyes abit and think harder to see what the text is... I can think of several similar characters that pops up on my head with size 2... So, Somewhere around 10 ~ 12 size should be good???
漢字 漢字 漢字 漢字
As for making that happen, it just is the case where you embed the correct font for the textField or use the device font assuming that your computer has Chinese fonts installed... I don't think there is any magic there...
http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flash/articles/text_localization_04.html

I'd love to help you check to see if the text rendered correctly if you want to send me a screenshot... I won't be able to tell you what those characters/words/sentences mean since it's been ages last time when I wrote something in Chinese, but I can at least tell you if it looks good or not... ;)

nemus
06-11-2010, 08:23 PM
I did something like that a while ago. There are 3 dynamic text boxes that are being populated with chinese characters from an external XML.
http://setentaydos.com/kanji_trainer/

I didnt need to embed anything though...

: )

edit: Big box at the left is actually a dynamic textbox with huge font size. Selection for text is turned off.

CyanBlue
06-11-2010, 08:39 PM
Nice... Are you using device fonts for displaying Japanese characters???

nemus
06-11-2010, 08:48 PM
No, weird thing is that I didnt even change the default text options.
Is a simple dynamic textbox, Arial font, regular, Anti-alias for readability. Font size: 12 points for the 3 boxes at the right & 150 points for the big one on the left.

CyanBlue
06-11-2010, 09:39 PM
That's very interesting... I'd think that I won't be able to see the Japanese characters if I don't have a Japanese font or a universal Unicode font installed on my machine, but... Hrm...