PDA

View Full Version : what's the difference?

Dennisl0l
09-09-2010, 05:49 PM
is there a diffreence between scripting for websites and for flash games?

asf8
09-09-2010, 08:56 PM
Is there a diffreence between scripting for websites and for flash games?

[Q] That is a rather broad question, perhaps you can redefine it with a more narrowed question? What is it your trying to figure out?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Web Development - vs - Flash Games

Anyway, yes developing games in Flash and programming for web development are vastly different. With programming in general some things might transcend across languages, but building a website and making a game with Flash are obviously different. Flash uses a language called Actionscript and has basic support for HTML and CSS internally. It can also interface with various other languages/technologies externally. Flash also requires a browser plugin (Flash Player) to run online in the broswer. Web programming uses a wide variety of languages (too many to list/describe here, see the link below), however Flash (compiled .swf files) is one of the files that can be used as part of web development if desired.

Aside from that, as stated above this is a pretty broad question your asking here.

Web Languages (Good overview)
http://sixrevisions.com/web-technology/web-languages-decoded/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:confused: Unless you meant all inclusively speaking of Flash:

ie: Flash Web Sites - vs - Flash Games

In that case there can be similarities as each is using the same langauage (Actionscript). Flash is very flexible for what all it can be used for, so some concepts will be the same, such as using variables, conditions, functions, loops, etc... But they will differ in the fact that well, one is a website and one is a game and each will have there own objectives and outcomes.

Anyway, maybe something will help here, otherwise please restate your question so people can respond more appropriately.

Dennisl0l
09-09-2010, 11:06 PM
so what you are saying is that web design is more complex and is a larger language,
im taking a class in web design is that somehow going to help me with scripting in flash games or are they two completely different languages?
thanks

maskedMan
09-09-2010, 11:34 PM
"Web design" isn't scripting at all. It's design work. Period. Some people go so far as to include HTML mockups / skeletons in this definition, and to an extent that's appropriate. You can't really "design" something that can be coded unless you know the rules of the medium.

"Web development" isn't "a larger language than ActionScript", it could be one or more of many different languages possibly including actionscript. It could be either client-side, server-side, or both.

asf8
09-09-2010, 11:45 PM
so what you are saying is that web design is more complex and is a larger language

Web development is/can be comprised of many languages depending on the task, frontend/backend. See the link I posted in my previous post it gives you a overview of various languages with links to related wiki pages.

im taking a class in web design is that somehow going to help me with scripting in flash games or are they two completely different languages? thanks

If your talking coding:

Directly no. Perhaps in some extremely obscure way, yes. As I previously stated they are vastly different things. I mean you might learn some design principles, or aspects of planning projects, etc... but there is not many similarities in general concerning the languages/tasks. Depending on the version of Actionscript there are some comparisions to other langauges, such as Javascript, but otherwise Actionscript and HTML for example are not the same at all. So it wont help you create character movement, artificial intelligence, hittests, scoring sytems, physics, etc... in Flash game development.

If your talking design (visual):

You might learn some things that could be relative from a visual design stand point, design principles, etc... But will it help you code a game in Flash, no not at all.

Dennisl0l
09-10-2010, 05:48 AM
thanks for the replies i appreciate the help :D

asf8
09-10-2010, 01:10 PM
You're welcome. Best wishes with your learning.

Dennisl0l
09-10-2010, 03:32 PM
thanks