PDA

View Full Version : MC looping question

SyntaxError
03-21-2003, 03:39 PM
Hi everyone, I'm new here and I'm an absolute flash newbie, forgive me for asking st*pid questions... I tried the help file and did a forum search but with no luck, so here we go.

My question is this:

I have a MC with a dynamic text field. In the MC the text line scrolls from left to right on the screen (like on CNN) untill it's completely out of the screen... works fine :)

But now I want to get it in a loop: when the MC is finished I want it to start over again... when I enter this is the last frame:

gotoAndPlay(1);

It doesn't work correctly... it seems as if the variables don't reset (which is strange 'cause theyre defined in the first frame of the MC).

So I fumbled a little and came up with this workaraound:

I let the MC trigger the main timeline to jump to the next frame (in which the MC isn't visible). And after that I let the main timeline jump back one frame (where the MC is visible).

That's the only way I get it to work... what am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance,

- SyntaxError

CyanBlue
03-22-2003, 05:53 AM
Howdy and Welcome... ;)

I am not quite sure if I understand your question...

If you just want to have the text scrolling all the time, you do not need any ActionScript... See the example that I have made real quick... I have no script in it...

If you need further assistance, please post your file... I am not sure how you have the text moving and what the instance name of the movieclip is and so on...

Also, check out the movie section... There is a nice ticker movie (http://www.actionscripts.org/showMovie.php?id=356) in there... ;)

SyntaxError
03-22-2003, 09:45 AM
Hi,

Thank you for the quick response. I'm going to check out the file you posted...

I only have internet on my work, that's why I couldn't post the file... If I need assistance I'll post it sometime next week.

-- SyntaxError

CyanBlue
03-22-2003, 11:43 AM
Huh... I thought that I'd attached the file, but I don't see it now... Weird... Hm...

Yes... See what you can do and keep it posted... ;)

SyntaxError
03-24-2003, 01:12 PM
Haha, I didn't even notice that the file wasn't there... I thought you were talking about the link you gave.

I got it working though - turn's out I was nearly there myself...