PDA

View Full Version : [CS5] Failed to Open Document.

killmerm
11-18-2010, 12:58 PM
Hi everyone. I was working on my Flash project a few minutes ago and when I tried to save, Flash crashed on me. I reopened Flash and went to open my project back up (I didn't do much more to it so I wasn't unhappy that it crashed while saving), it gave me this output error:

Failed to open document./Users/killmerm/Documents/School/Problem Solving/Get Outta the Way!/Drafts/Draft4.fla.
The following JavaScript error(s) occurred:

In file "/Users/killmerm/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Flash CS5/en_US/Configuration/Javascript/ObjectFindAndSelect.jsfl":
Cannot find file /Users/killmerm/Documents/School/Problem Solving/Get Outta the Way!/Drafts/Draft4.fla.

Does this mean my file's lost forever? It says it's a JS error, but... meh. I really hope I don't have to rebuild this. I've been working on it for ten weeks and it's due in three.

EDIT: I just deleted the "ObjectFindAndSelect.jsfl" file then relaunched Flash. It created a new one, but my file is still failing to load. Only this time, it's not saying it's a JS error.

hoolagon
11-27-2010, 11:09 PM
I saw a similar question recently in kirupa which was solved by updating the flash IDE

killmerm
11-27-2010, 11:15 PM
Hm, thank you! I'll look into that for next time. :)

XaeroDegreaz
11-28-2010, 12:12 AM
That's a real bummer man. I've had this happen to me on a couple occaisions, and both time's I've had to restore the fls file from a backup. Thank God for SVN and frequent commits.

Did that solution work for you?

killmerm
11-28-2010, 12:14 AM
I haven't tried it mainly because time is of the essence, so I just restarted the project based on a different copy of the file I had. But it's good to know in case I do something in Flash later and it happens to me again. :)

hoolagon
11-28-2010, 02:07 PM
I haven't tried CS5 yet, but I know that both CS4 and CS3 can very incredibly unstable at times. I agree with XaeroDegreaz, thank god for SVN... and flashDevelop!

killmerm
11-28-2010, 02:33 PM
At my school, they offered us a CS5 upgrade and since I'm a design student, I was required by my profs to upgrade to CS5. Our machines weren't built to run CS5, so a lot of my classmates will sit there and start yelling at their laptops when the programs crash on them...happens a lot!

hoolagon
11-28-2010, 09:49 PM
At my school, they offered us a CS5 upgrade and since I'm a design student, I was required by my profs to upgrade to CS5. Our machines weren't built to run CS5, so a lot of my classmates will sit there and start yelling at their laptops when the programs crash on them...happens a lot!

I yell and curse at my pc all the time, I think that's quite normal