PDA

View Full Version : Need advice:: Should I choose A.S as for the main programming life?

brastik
02-24-2011, 04:23 AM
I am an undergraduate student, and i'm interested in Flash & Actionscript. My friends choose their programming language like C,C++,Java,C# or so, but i don't stick with those. I really like making games with A.S (tho I still need to learn learn learn more). So anyone can give me advice whether I should follow A.S till the end of my life or I need to study those more widely used languages? I'm confused, any suggestions are appreciated, thanks so much!! :rolleyes:

ASWC
02-24-2011, 01:53 PM
No programmer stick with one language for the rest of their life. Learning how to program is learning how to learn a programming language as well. Besides it's hard as a programmer to work with only one language. For example I work on a regular basis with AS3, PHP, mySQL, SQLite, Javascript, HTML, Python, just because most of my projects involve all these working together. Being a programmer is not knowing how to program with one language, it's knowing how to program.

audiopro
02-24-2011, 04:41 PM
I am with ASWC on this one.
Many people try to do everything with a single language and it just doesn't work. A programmer needs a variety of languages to achieve a broad spectrum of skills. Take the example of a server side scriting expert, the language used doesn't matter. If an interface has to be created with a local machine, then a new set of skills is required.
Set yourself some projects to build and take it from there, who knows what it will lead to.

brastik
02-25-2011, 12:59 AM
:D
Thanks so much for your suggestions/advice!!!
This is exactly what I expected, advice from the experienced programmers, and this is also what I think, I need to learn some other languages.
By the way, I wonder if working on flash games, flash projects (like web-based MMORPG) is a good choice or programming in C++ for most common PC games is better?