PDA

View Full Version : Cartoon animation: timeline arrangement, using symbols inside symbols

andr87
04-06-2011, 11:02 AM
Hello. I'm a mid-level Flash user (CS5) and I want to create short cartoons for Youtube and such. I'm interested in learning the best working methods for an animator, but I'm stuck at working with timelines and symbols inside symbols.

For example, I have a scene with two or more characters that has to interact / syncronize in movement, talking etc. I can only imagine this can be done if each element (character) is a graphic symbol that contains a set of other movie clips for body parts distributed by layers. So if I want to animate a single character, I work inside that symbol, but how can I see what happens at a certain time on the _root level? Do I have to have the same length and positions of frames in all timelines?
There are a lot of tutorials on the net, but not one explains how to animate more then one element on a stage at a same time.
Please help!

tadster
04-06-2011, 09:41 PM
Do I have to have the same length and positions of frames in all timelines?

No, each MovieClip can have it's own amount of keyframes.

pan_da
11-18-2011, 05:08 AM
I can only imagine this can be done if each element (character) is a graphic symbol that contains a set of other movie clips for body parts distributed by layers.
Yes, for me it's best to use graphic symbol when animating. Graphic symbol all the way! Even the parts inside this graphic symbol. Also, you have control over it without using scripts. Best when synching with other characters in the same timeline.

Do I have to have the same length and positions of frames in all timelines?
Nope.

You can control what to show inside the graphic symbol using the options for graphics on the Properties panel.
Make a keyframe on the root timeline, select the symbol then choose from Loop, Play Once, or Single Frame.

Make another keyframe at a certain time then choose from the option again.

Hope this helps. ;)