PDA

View Full Version : How to not select bounding boxes?

WarKirby
05-31-2011, 07:07 AM
hi everyone.

I'm trying to animate a simple stick figure just now. I used an inverted triangle shape for the body,which gives a nice width to the shoulders. Unfortunately, flash doesn't seem to realise that it's a triangle. Due to it's stubborn way of drawing a rectangular bounding box around every shape.

This is getting in the way a lot, as there are parts of figure which are clearly not blocked by the torso, but are blocked by it's big square bounding box, which makes it a nightmare to drag the arms and legs around to where I want them

Is there any way to fix this silly behaviour, and have it only select an object when I click on a visible part of it, and not just anywhere in it's bounding box ?

Noct
05-31-2011, 03:03 PM
Well, the box has to envelop the furtherest possible points of assets in every direction, if it didn't, it wouldn't be a box. :)

As far as selecting it goes, to be honest, I've never heard anyone complain about the boxes in the IDE before. (Just when dealing with hittesting)

I would image the best solution for you would be to place the torso on a different layer on the timeline then the arms and legs (typically the way it's done really), and then you can lock and unlock that layer as needed.

WarKirby
05-31-2011, 09:31 PM
Well, the box has to envelop the furtherest possible points of assets in every direction, if it didn't, it wouldn't be a box. :

granted, but I don't really need to be able to click on it :p

I would image the best solution for you would be to place the torso on a different layer on the timeline then the arms and legs (typically the way it's done really), and then you can lock and unlock that layer as needed.

the problem here is that my figure is made of several movieclips all interconnected in an armature. the bone tool sticks everything that's part of the armature, on one layer. I'm not really sure how to work with that

Noct
06-01-2011, 01:17 PM
Ah, no doubt; I totally forgot they had IK/bones setups in newer versions. I'm still using Cs3.

Anyways, I guess your only solution there then would be to open the torso clip and throw a temporary mask layer inside it. Whatever size you set the mask to will be the clickable portion of the clip when outside of it, so you could just make a very small square in the center that is easier to avoid, and then delete the mask layer when you're all done.

WarKirby
06-01-2011, 04:03 PM
Ah, no doubt; I totally forgot they had IK/bones setups in newer versions. I'm still using Cs3.

Anyways, I guess your only solution there then would be to open the torso clip and throw a temporary mask layer inside it. Whatever size you set the mask to will be the clickable portion of the clip when outside of it, so you could just make a very small square in the center that is easier to avoid, and then delete the mask layer when you're all done.

Can't I make a mask that conforms to the shape of the torso piece, so as to just make it work "properly" ?

Noct
06-01-2011, 06:16 PM
No, because even a mask still has bounding boxes. There's no way around this I'm afraid. You have to work within the confines of boxes in the IDE.