PDA

View Full Version : looking for a good book on...

Billy T
04-17-2003, 11:19 AM
Hey all

can anyone recommend a good book on Flash intergration with a mySQL database via php etc...

I've read 'foundation php for flash' and it was great

I also bought "advanced php for flash" and "macromedia flash mx: creating dynamic applications" and they were both complete crap.

Any tips?

Thanks

boyzdynasty
04-17-2003, 12:23 PM
i guess just get a book on PHP.

PHP Bible.... I'm sharing that w/ a friend as a reference.

It devotes 1...hmm...i think 2 chapters on MySQL.

Basically...PHP is used to access the MySQL DB.

All you really need is 1 method in PHP that execute mysql commands.... I forget the syntax....I should remember since I am using these stuff for my school project.

As for going into security issues....I guess you would need a book that concentrate solely on MySQL

*O... the advance foundation for flash book...did it had examples on usiing secure cookies? and how to configure apache for SSL?

Billy T
04-17-2003, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by boyzdynasty

*O... the advance foundation for flash book...did it had examples on usiing secure cookies? and how to configure apache for SSL?

maybe...I gave up after a few chapters because none of the scripts worked...

I'll still read it though

php bible looks good - I'll buy that

Thanks

boyzdynasty
04-17-2003, 01:47 PM
aww...Billy...did you get your money back?

Billy T
04-17-2003, 01:53 PM
no...can you get your money back if the book is crap? I've never heard of that happening...

boyzdynasty
04-17-2003, 01:58 PM
how long did you have it?

i did that b4.... after 2 days....If I don't like it, I return it.

Of course the excuse was not, "I didn't like the book"

I just say, "I bought the wrong book for my class, can I exchange it"....something like that. ;)

Billy T
04-17-2003, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by boyzdynasty
"I bought the wrong book for my class, can I exchange it"

good thinking...I might have had it a bit too long now though :(

boyzdynasty
04-17-2003, 02:52 PM
of course I would not recommend it. ;)
it is a bad habit.

Mortimer Jazz
04-17-2003, 04:01 PM
Billy tends to dribble when he reads so it makes returning his books kind of awkward ;)

boyzdynasty
04-17-2003, 04:05 PM
AH...i c...

i guess i would recommend using a bib

Billy T
04-18-2003, 01:13 AM
at least I don't panic in life or death situations and just leave my books behind no sirree bob

Mort - "Please Miss, can I have a replacment for my OOP with Actionscript book because I got scared and wee-weed my pants and left it behind on a plane :( "

;)

Mortimer Jazz
04-18-2003, 01:29 AM
*guilty as charged* :p

Billy T
04-18-2003, 01:31 AM
:p

CyanBlue
04-18-2003, 04:22 AM
Um... As long as it is within 30 days and if you didn't open up the CD, you should be able to get it returned... At least it is here... Sorry, Billy T, for not stopping you buying those crappy books... But then, there should be some jewel hidden in there... As long as you find one out of the book, you should be happy... Don't you think???

As for the book recommendation, I'll go along with boyzdynasty... But don't forget the PHP manual and MySQL manual that you can download from the sites... I see them a great reference manual and you don't have to flip through the pages... ;)

Mortimer Jazz... What's up??? Haven't seen you for a while, and you look so old... and I see 'code slut' in your sig... Did you get the sex change operation while you were away??? :p

Billy T
04-18-2003, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by CyanBlue
As long as you find one out of the book, you should be happy... Don't you think???

yes and no. i have wasted a heap of time thinking that I had done something wrong when it was just that the scripts didnt work.

I will still read them though in the hope that there will be something useful

Thanks for your comments

Mortimer Jazz
04-18-2003, 10:23 AM
Oh well, I bought the advanced book too but still haven't got around to starting it - don't think I want to now.....
Originally posted by CyanBlue
Mortimer Jazz... What's up??? Haven't seen you for a while, Hello Mr Blue. I've been out on the streets selling my <body/> for cash. I have no shame.

Pay me 60 and I'll show you my variables :eek:

boyzdynasty
04-18-2003, 07:55 PM
which ones are the cheap variables?

red penguin
04-18-2003, 09:35 PM
I recommend getting hold of "Programming PHP" by Rasmus Lerdorf and those peple over at O'Reilly's.

That got me going pretty well and I now am into the database thing...no guru but I understand it...

Billy T
04-19-2003, 12:01 AM
hmmm that looks good too. Does it cover any security issues?

I have to learn how to make a secure ecommerse site using a flash front end linked to php and a database - am I dreaming?

Anyone read this - PHP MySQL Website Programming: Problem - Design - Solution?

Am going away for a week very soon so please respond asap

Thanks ;)

boyzdynasty
04-19-2003, 01:15 AM
i've been trying to get info. on that too!

in my case, I have to configure my web server to support SSL
the problem is, I dunno how :(

I have to read some manual. The apache web server i'm using is running on a Linux machine.

boyzdynasty
04-19-2003, 01:18 AM
btw: If anyone knows how I can configure my httpd.conf.... let me know.;)

Billy T
04-19-2003, 01:32 AM
just through a telnet connection isn't it?

boyzdynasty
04-19-2003, 02:16 AM
remember i was asking you about examples of secure cookies...

secure cookies only work through Secure Socket Layer
(https) instead of the regular (http)
And I think is just the php part...I'm not sure about the security issues of mySQL.

as for telnet, not a good I idea to use it b/c it send information as txt

ssh is preferred to establish a remote connection.

red penguin
04-19-2003, 03:32 AM
Does it cover any security issues?
Yes. THere is a chapter dedicated to security. As for top of the line security, I'm sure there are better sources however like most O'Reilly publications (if not all), learning any language requires a 'bible' type book on which we get our teeth into/gives us ideas/allows us to see things/et cetera.

This is that book for PHP.

boyzdynasty
04-19-2003, 01:44 PM
you definitely got my attention. maybe I'll check out the bookstore next weekend and spend some time going through the book b4 I decide to buy it.

Billy T
04-26-2003, 09:40 AM
red - you've convinced me (in fact, you already had but the book stores here don't seem to have it yet :( - is it brand new?)

anyway, I needed something to read on my holiday so I bought "PHP MySQL website programming" - think I posted a link earlier in the thread. its interesting but too advanced for me - will come back to it.

boyz - I thought you were wanting a way to edit your httpd.conf which is why I suggested using telnet

cheers

Billy T
04-26-2003, 09:56 AM
btw the site you make in the book Im reading is here -http://wrox.mediatemple.net/

if anyone wants to have a look

boyzdynasty
04-26-2003, 01:26 PM
which book...PHP MySQL website programming?

well...that is one hell of a CASE STUDY.
When the semester is over, I'll have a look at the book. ;)

red penguin
04-26-2003, 02:20 PM
Now you've got MY interest....

I'll have to search out that book. Sounds good....

As for that case study. Yeah. I pretty much learned most of what they are doing there (I think). Not to toot my own horn but once you get the basics down, like anything else, it all makes sense and you find these ways to make your sites much more dynamic...

I will be launching an experimental (for lack of a better word) site soon which is all the PHP work I did a while back. I've pretty much finished but it took a back seat for a while (for other projects) and now I have the time to finally slap it up. Need to 'go over' everything to make sure it's good to go but it was just a project I gave myself to actually 'see' the potential that PHP has to offer.

Phew. Sorry. Didn't mean to ramble there.

Which means, Billy, that I need to email you.

Ha!

Billy T
04-26-2003, 02:24 PM
hehe yeah go for it man

I look forward to checking it out

do you need mySQL access?