/*onItemPicked = function(){
trace(test_cb.getSelectedItem().data);
}*/
var q2Labels = new Array("Microsoft","Flashy","Macromedia");
var q2Data = new Array(1,2,3);
for(var i = 0; i <q2Data.length; i ++){
q2_cb.addItem(q2Labels[i],q2Data[i]);
}
var q3Labels = new Array("Shockwave Plug-in","All Macromedia", "Flash plug-in");
var q3Data = new Array (1,2,3);
q3_cb.setSize(150);
for(var i = 0; i <q3Data.length; i++){
q3_cb.addItem(q3Labels[i],q3Data[i]);
q3_cb.getSelectedItem()
}
var correctAnswers = new Array(3,3,3);
function chkAnswers(){
for (i= 1; i<=correctAnswers.length; i++){
if(q[i]_cb.getSelectedItem().data == correctAnswers[i]){
total++;
trace("total "+total);
// trace(q[i]_cb.getSelectedItem().data == correctAnswers[i]);
}
}
}

I am trying to create a quiz using combox component. I am not sure how to go about correcting the answers.

pls. let me know where I am going wrong.
a sample file at www4.ncsu.edu/~bjagann/forum/cb.zip

thnx!

CyanBlue
04-18-2003, 04:03 AM
Howdy...

I saw the other thread with the same problem... Should I say this is the crossposting as well??? :D

Same thing applies here...if (this["q" + i + "_cb"].getSelectedItem().data == correctAnswers[i])Oh... You are not allowed to use my initial as a file name... :mad: :D

texbala
04-18-2003, 04:11 AM
thnx CyanBlue...

yeah.. it was sort of cross-posting!! :eek:

i copied out the simple step so that i will be able to get some help... in the General Help section. have a deadline to work tonight... hence the neediness :(

i always gets stuck in this path (i know i am asking the same kinda problem the second time in this forum) :confused:

thnx!! a long night to go!!

CyanBlue
04-18-2003, 04:26 AM
Sure... Holler me when you need me... Don't know how long I am going to be up tonight, but I'll be around... ;)

That pathing stuff... Yeah... That's the pain... But you gotta get over it cuz there are bigger waves of pain coming to you... Lots of mountains to climb to get us one step ahead... ;)

texbala
04-18-2003, 04:39 AM
thnx CyanBlue..

am stuck here....
am creating a quiz... with combox box values.. to be checked...

the last part of the quiz.. to check whether correct or not..
i need to put a correct mark/ incorrect mark at the side when btn_check button is pressed.

btn_check.onPress = function() {
var correctAnswers = new Array(1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3,1, 2);
var userAnswers = new Array(q1_cb.getValue(), q2_cb.getValue(), q3_cb.getValue(), q4_cb.getValue(), q5_cb.getValue(), q6_cb.getValue(), q7_cb.getValue(), q8_cb.getValue());
for (i=0; i<=8; i++) {
if (userAnswers[i] == correctAnswers[i]) {
this["holder"+i].attachMovie("tick", "tick"+i, i);
trace(this["holder"+i]);
trace("userAnswers "+ userAnswers[i] + " correctAnswer "+ correctAnswers[i]);
total++
trace(total);
} else {
this["holder"+i].attachMovie("wrong", "wrong"+i, i);
}
}
};

let me know, if u need the file..

"holder" - is an empty mc
"tick" is the linkage to the mc in the library
"wrong" - dido

thnx

CyanBlue
04-18-2003, 04:45 AM
Yeah... File would be easier... I thought that I was going to add that part in your last file, but I see that it is different one... Let me know the URL...

Oh... Forgot to ask one more thing... What is the thing you want me to check??? :D

texbala
04-18-2003, 04:50 AM
http://www4.ncsu.edu/~bjagann/forum/forum_qu.zip

thnx!! :)

texbala
04-18-2003, 05:06 AM
also.. i need to add two possible answers for the second/ third question

the file that i had sent... doesn't have "tick" and "wrong"

also.. i need to make the holder either have correct/ wrong mc's.

CyanBlue
04-18-2003, 05:15 AM
Um... Let's not go that fast... Check out the file first and see if I am getting it right... I don't know what you want me to fix cuz your attachMovie() function worked just fine to me... Hm... Let me know first...

texbala
04-18-2003, 05:23 AM
for me.. the attachMovie didn't work.. that was the only problem when i posted it...

the next problem.. how can i add two answers to be correct.

also.. did u check to see whether the right answers have the blue and the wrong answers have the red... for me.. sometimes it doens't match... ?? am i missing something??

texbala
04-18-2003, 05:26 AM
sorry.. the tick/ wrong comes correct... in the output window- i need to check from the bottom- i was checking from the top (which includes question 0)..

sorry abt. that!!

CyanBlue
04-18-2003, 05:37 AM
Yeah... I was obviously not paying much attention on 0 and 1 stuff... :D

I think this one works better in terms or right and wrong...stop();
loadVarsText = new loadVars();
loadVarsText.load("questions_text.txt");
loadVarsText.onLoad = function(success)
{
if (success)
{
//trace("sucess");
// questions.text = true;
mainQuestion.text = this.themainQuestion;
question1.text = this.thequestion1;
question2.text = this.thequestion2;
question3.text = this.thequestion3;
question4.text = this.thequestion4;
question5.text = this.thequestion5;
question6.text = this.thequestion6;
question7.text = this.thequestion7;
question8.text = this.thequestion8;
}
else
{
trace("unsuccess");
}
};
//data for combobox
a = new Array(1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8);
var noOfQuestions = 8;
/*
for (i=0; i<noOfQuestions; i++) {
this["holder"+i].attachMovie("tick", "tick"+i, i);
//trace(this["holder"+i]);
}
*/
for (i = 1; i <= noOfQuestions; i++)
{
this.onLoad = populateCb(this["q" + i + "_cb"]);
}
this.onLoad = populateCb(q1_cb);
function populateCb(value1)
{
var q1Labels = new Array("Coherance", "Symbolism", "Positioning");
var q1Data = new Array(1, 2, 3);
for (var i = 0; i < q1Data.length; i++)
{
value1.addItem(q1Labels[i], q1Data[i]);
}
}
var total;
btn_check.onPress = function()
{
var correctAnswers = new Array("1", "2", "3", "1", "2", "3", "1", "2");
var userAnswers = new Array(q1_cb.getValue(), q2_cb.getValue(), q3_cb.getValue(), q4_cb.getValue(), q5_cb.getValue(), q6_cb.getValue(), q7_cb.getValue(), q8_cb.getValue());
for (i = 0; i < noOfQuestions; i++)
{
_level0["holder" + (i + 1)].removeMovieClip();
// trace("userAnswers " + userAnswers[i] + " correctAnswer " + correctAnswers[i]);
if (userAnswers[i] == correctAnswers[i])
{
trace("Question No. " + (i + 1) + " : " + "userAnswers " + userAnswers[i] + " correctAnswer " + correctAnswers[i] + "\tRIGHT ANSWER");
// _level0["holder" + (i + 1)].attachMovie("Tick", "Tick" + (i + 1), (i + 1) * 10 + 1000, {_x:20, _y:this["q" + (i + 1) + "_cb"]._y});
_level0["holder" + (i + 1)].attachMovie("Tick", "Tick" + (i + 1), (i + 1) * 10 + 1000);
}
else
{
trace("Question No. " + (i + 1) + " : " + "userAnswers " + userAnswers[i] + " correctAnswer " + correctAnswers[i] + "\tWRONG ANSWER");
// _level0["holder" + (i + 1)].attachMovie("Wrong", "Wrong" + (i + 1), (i + 1) * 10 + 2000, {_x:160, _y:this["q" + (i + 1) + "_cb"]._y});
_level0["holder" + (i + 1)].attachMovie("Wrong", "Wrong" + (i + 1), (i + 1) * 10 + 2000);
}
/*

trace(this["holder"+i]);
trace("userAnswers "+ userAnswers[i] + " correctAnswer "+ correctAnswers[i]);
total++
trace(total);
} else {
this["holder"+i].attachMovie("wrong", "wrong"+i, i);
}*/
}
};how can i add two answers to be correctThis... Hm... I guess you can try something like this...var correctAnswers = new Array("1", "2,3", "3", "1,3", "2", "3", "1", "2");and check the length of each element and if it is 1 then use the above if statement to check the validity, and if it is bigger than 1 then, you will have to create another array by using split() function and create an if statement with multiple conditions... Would this work for you??? ;)

texbala
04-18-2003, 05:46 AM
thnx Cyanblue...

the array didn't work out properly.. i will try to do it in the weekend... I am planning to extend this with XML... any idea of how to proceed... am very low in XML stuff...

thnx very much for ur help!! good night!!

CyanBlue
04-18-2003, 05:49 AM
Well... I don't know much about XML myself either... But there are some good stuff on the forum... See if you can find some... :D

Let me know what you come up with this weekend, alrighty??? ;)

subquark
04-18-2003, 03:24 PM
haha Bala! I'm working on the same AIU form!! What a hoot!

I think they will take the best solution and use it themselves and not hire anyone. Did you notice that the graphics on their .fla files aren't even placed on whole numbers?

Please finish this as soon as possible. When you are finished, please email your .FLA file to: [email protected]

If you have any questions regarding any of this please give Bob S#### a call at 847-###-###.

I think we are being scammed! Anyway, fear not, I will not steal the code here. This forum is too important for me and more important than AIU.

BTW, your flash link at http://www4.ncsu.edu:8030/~bjagann/samples/flash/portfolio1.html does not work for me . . .

:eek:

subquark
04-18-2003, 03:31 PM
bala, you might try to look at Colin Moock's quiz examples, while he does not use the combobox, it can all be done within Flash (don't go the xml route, AIU probably wants it all self contained).

Of particular note, Moock uses external files. Also, did you try the Flash MX Quiz templates?

Here is moock's URL: here (http://moock.org/asdg/codedepot/)

texbala
04-18-2003, 03:32 PM
subquark!!

yeah.. i need to fix the portfolio link...

pls. send personal comments to me @bjagannATunity.ncsu.edu

also.. i don't like putting the contact names on the boards... no offense!!! pls :) ;)

btw. u disabled ur PM option.... :(

texbala
04-18-2003, 03:46 PM
subquark...

the portfolio link is corrected now...

i havn't used the templates till now.. it looks good... thnx for letting me know!!

ur webpage is good!! :) - havn't explored everything!!

subquark
04-18-2003, 03:47 PM
oh it's okay, that guy is probably going to take your code and run with it! But I'll edit the post and take it off . . .

I too have a Master's degree and am somewhat aware of the way of the world, so no need to reprimand me. I could have just snagged the zip and sent it to Brian!

Your solution seems to work fine to me, just change the circles to green check marks as indicated in src2.jpg and you are set.

Good luck!

subquark
04-18-2003, 03:53 PM
hey, your link to gogoddessgo just pulls up a blank page (source code: <META name="postinfo" content="/scripts/postinfo.asp">)

texbala
04-18-2003, 03:57 PM
hey subquark...

i never inted to "reprimand" you... :( i hate these text messages... which doesn't give the feelings what we have...

i just don't want to offend the party (without knowing the truth)... i don't mind anyone taking my code... (i know u wuld have done better than this).. i am for 'open source'... as i learnt flash like that... and i don't mind giving my code to anyone...

thnx for the goddess link... i did it last year... no idea what is happening with them :eek:

btw... if u have time.. pls. give some constructive crisitism for my websites/ design... I need to change my portfolio to look better...

subquark
04-18-2003, 04:02 PM
hey Bala, I saw your flash site, um, the lower one has both a vertical and horizontal scroll, it's hard to look at. How come there is so much white space at the top of the page? Oh, now I see, the selected content loads up there. Some of the stuff that loads covers up some of the words "Flash Samples". How about some frame or border? You obviously have the skills . . .

How about a Barney (YugoP) style menu for the sample scrolls? Sort of like on my old site, under portfolio http://subquark.com/flash4/.

Anyway, that's it, good luck. I think your solution is extremely well written and flexible enough to be used for many quizzes.

subquark
04-18-2003, 05:09 PM
Hey CyanBlue and texbala, you two should write a tutorial on this! I was also trying to find out how to use combo boxes for a quiz and this is all I could find. I think it is something a lot of people could use foe elearning type stuff.

The example you put up works very well, thanks a bunch!

CyanBlue
04-19-2003, 03:41 AM
Huh??? What's happened while I was sleeping and away??? Almost one new page has been created??? :D

Don't know what that AIU stuff and others are, but anyways, there should be some more information regarding this quiz and combo box stuff... Can't believe that this is the only one you could find, subquark...

Tutorial??? Hm... Me <--- Lazy dumb ass
He won't do nothing... Are you going to do it, texbala??? :D

Oh, subquark... You're welcome to post any question if you have... You know that, right??? I'll be glad to be of your service... ;)

subquark
04-19-2003, 01:51 PM
Thanks CyanBlue! Don't mind me, I'm a middle-aged, angry-Linkin Park-listening kind of guy (also French-Canadian which does not help).

Are you kidding? ActionScript.org is the absolute best forum and I have learned more in two months than I did in two years reading every book I could get!

If it was not for BillyT and several others, I'd still be using buttons and not know how to write a path (for some reason, that was very tough for me to learn, but then that's me).

I really could not find much on combo boxes for a neophyte like me. It's a new challenge for me (I found it interesting that the MM quiz templates don't use them for multiple choice stuff).

The solution you came up with was elegant and very efficient with the external text files.

The AIU stuff, that's a contract job we were both applying to with American Intercontinental University (an online tech school basically). Since texbala hit it first, I decided to not apply, but I did send a wonderful letter of recommendation on his behalf.

Yeah, more tutorials on components please . . .

And thanks CyanBlue for being one of the truly great reasons that this forum helps the ActionScript community grow. Sappy but true. :)

CyanBlue
04-19-2003, 02:10 PM
I'm a middle-aged, angry-Linkin Park-listening kind of guy (also French-Canadian which does not help).Sounds pretty similar... I'm a middle-aged, angry, always pissed off, puppy walking kind of guy(also jobless, hopless and lifeless which do not help...) Similar, eh??? :D What's wrong with that 'French-Canadian' part??? I don't get it... ActionScript.org is the absolute best forum and I have learned more in two months than I did in two years reading every book I could get!Yeah... No doubt about it... ;)I'd still be using buttons and not know how to write a pathI don't see anything wrong with that... :D (Path stuff is not that easy in the beginning, but it always gets solved sooner or later, right??? ;)The solution you came up with was elegant and very efficient with the external text files.Thank you... How nice of you to say that... But I gotta say that it was texbala's idea and I was just helping him to tweak it... ;)AIUThat's what it is... I see... The name sounds somewhat familiar to me... ;)Yeah, more tutorials on components please . . .Hehe... As I was saying... I am lazy... If texbala does that, I sure will help him... Or, if something happens, I might do it... Never know... ;)And thanks CyanBlue for being one of the truly great reasons that this forum helps the ActionScript community grow. Sappy but true.Thank you and appreciate it...

Gotta run to the airport... Gotta give my folks ride... See ya...

subquark
04-19-2003, 02:28 PM
that french-canadian thing is from that movie Vertical Limit, the really cute and tough girl mountaineer is from quebec and someone is being warned about her as such: "She's French-Canadian, today she's more French than Canadian." It stuck.

as to the rest of your comments: :D

CyanBlue
04-19-2003, 02:35 PM
Haha... Cute one, subquark, and you're welcome... :D

texbala
04-19-2003, 09:18 PM
hmm.. subquark... i also realize the french-canadian only now.. (inspite of your e-mails y'day) :(

also.. i still feel guilty on me that subquark didn't apply for that job. also. a simple thanks wund't suffice for the recommendation letter. :o I am sure there are very few ppl. like subquark outside this small world!!

i don't know which category i belong, if someone like Cyanblue tells (jobless, hopeless etc...) he is being very very modest!! ;)

with subqruaks insipration and with CyabBlue's help (co-author)and my time limit.. v will try the write the tutorial. (Writing a tutorial is one of my dreams .. oops.. am telling everything ;) - even if it is useful for one person.. am happy with that) - am not sure how to change that code to a component ( i meant component as that can be download as a macromedia extension)will i have to change any variable for that now??- i will have to read the components stuff :eek:

subquark.. my sincere request... pls. apply for the job!! :)

CyanBlue
04-20-2003, 03:36 AM
am not sure how to change that code to a component ( i meant component as that can be download as a macromedia extension)Writing a tutorial will be great... ;)

But I don't understand why you have said that, and what you meant by that... Why do you need to create a component and how does that related to the tutorial??? Basic and important things regarding components can be found at the tutorial section of the FlashComponents.net (http://www.flashcomponents.net/tutorials.cfm?nav=4) if it helps... ;)

texbala
04-20-2003, 03:41 AM
am not sure about components... but i thought one should be able to download as an extension and use it for quiz - inputing a text file with this and this format and then entering the answers in the array in the components panel. (They needn't see the code unless they want to)

am i clear?? :confused:

CyanBlue
04-20-2003, 04:11 AM
Well... I guess you can do that... But the problem is that there are many types of quiz such as multiple choice, fill in the blank and so on... If you can cover all of those within the component, and you sure can create one like 'quiz component' or sort, but it is abit too soon to go onto the component part... What do you think???

texbala
04-20-2003, 04:13 AM
i guess that type of component is already in Flash template Quiz component (subquark pointed it out)...

i don't think we need to go into component... just a tutorial with easy re-usability of code should suffice...

i have to study a lot b4 talking abt. components!! :(

subquark
04-20-2003, 02:04 PM
Wow! This is a hot topic (well, among the three of us). If you guys like, I'd be glad to contribute to the writing of a tutorial. With my background as a current adjunct college professor at Miami-Dade Community College (in May to become a four year college) with an enrollment of 170,000 and my past experience as a high school science teacher, I think I could write the tutorial in such a way as to be relevant for teachers to use this. And texbala, if you could create this super-component, it may be something you could sell at a nominal fee (or at least look really good on your resume).

My motives: it is very interesting, there is a strong need for it, I think non-flash teachers could benefit (and would want to) from it and it would be good for my experience.

So what do you think? I would be glad to host the component download from my site and would enjoy creating not only a tutorial for this forum, but also a robust tutorial for the non-flash teacher (I have presented the virtues of flash and flashcom to the "Technology Center" at the college to about a hundred professors and administrators, it was well received).

We (or I) could create a few templates that could be downloaded for the non-flash user to make it very easy to use. Your coding with the external files make this a very easy approach to use and re-use.

The multiple choice of the combo box is ideal for reveiwing the vocabulary of a chapter and allows for many questions on one "page", this may even be something that textbook publishers would like (I do some freelance for an elearning firm in Boston that creates a lot on online an CD based resources for textbook publishers).

I like to stay busy so this is no big deal for me (c'mon, I work as a geologist by day, adjunct professor at night in multimedia auditoriums with up to 103 students) and then do flash the remaining time), I have no life . . . boohoo.

let me know . . . :)

ps - see, today I'm more Canadian than French . . .

texbala
04-21-2003, 12:57 AM
hey buddies...

the raw file is attached.. hope everything is working without bugs - and am excited about this. The funny part is I ddin't realize till it was programmed that we can have multiple answers for one question.. this is cool. I started to love Flash more ;)

Regarding the component, am not sure how to proceed. Yes, I would like to make one (atleast if not for monetary purposes, atleast I can learn more about components). I will start working on it, but i need some time.. have to do some pretty decent job search as my visa is getting expired next month :( :eek: REg. templates.. that is a good idea.. and I have always been thinking about it (infact I created a couple of templates in Fireworks/ Dreamweaver and planned to start a company and everything faded later on for various reasons :( )... hope you are referring like the template that is similar to that comes in Flash MX (quiz templates)

am designing the background now... pls. check out the file at the link www4.ncsu.edu/~bjagann/forum/tutorial_final.zip (also check out whether you know the answers for those questions - anyway many are from MM website)

Reg. the tutorial: I was thinking y'day night that we can divide it into 3 divisions as (1)loading answers(populating the combobox); (2) loading questions; (3) checking the answers?? anything else??

subQuark... you are welcome to write the tutorial.. you are really a busy man!! :eek:

CyanBlue... pls. check any irreguarilites in the code other than what you did??

PS: how do u say that u r more canadian now?? :rolleyes:

CyanBlue
04-21-2003, 07:18 AM
Hm... Very interesting thing has happened while I was offline... ;)

subquark... You are a college professor who teaches multimedia at the school and you also a geologist as well??? Wow... What a combination... I'd love to have that sort of vast knowledge of the world, but I am somewhat limited in that yet... ;)

So... I guess everybody are in favor of the tutorial... I have downloaded texbala's file and did some update on that... I did as much as I could to standardize the file so that it could be used for the proper tutorial if any of you guys are interested in writing... I also got rid of several routines in that file to optimize the ActionScript for dynamic arrangement... This includes reducing the data text file to one, and dynamically generating and updating the content according to the number of the questions... Now, it is not limited to just nine questions, but it totally depends on the number of question and answer pairs... See it for yourselves... ;)

Component... I am not that knowledgable in this field yet... I will need to read some more materials and do some research... But I hope it won't be too much of trouble... :)

Templates... I am abit more for the creating an application that dynamically generate the text file, which holds the questions and answers, and the SWF file so that the user can just type the questions and answers to prepare the Flash movie, when done, I can just call PHP script to generate the text file and have the user download TXT file, HTML file and SWF file at the same time so that he/she could use it on his/her situation... What do you think??? I think this is better than the templates because all the non-Flash users need are to type in the values and call the proper HTML file to open a popup window...

texbala... Your visa is expiring??? What is your status??? Are you on F-1 visa for the school??? Are you graduating soon or already graduated??? Did you apply for the working permit or OPT to maintain the valid status??? I hope things turn out well... ;)

That removing movieclip... That wasn't working right because removeMovieClip() function can only remove the movieclip that has been laid on the stage with attachMovie() or duplicateMovieclip function... It can't do the job for the movieclips that are laid on the stage manually... Simple, eh??? ;)

The new text file format...theTitle=Title comes here...&
&theQ1=The head of the question... It used to be some other word, but I have changed it to be 'theQ1' and 'theA1' to shorten the typing...&
&theQ2=Also added '&' at the end of each lines to get away with the carriage return code when imported into Flash...&
&theA1=static text0#dynamic text0#input text1&
&theA2=each answers are divided with '#' and the last character of the answer contains the validity of that answer... 0 for false and 1 for true...&
&theA3=This comboBox component will not give you an opportunity to have multiple answers since you don't get to get the multiple values back from the component... You should use ListBox component to do that...&
&theA4=And make sure that the last number for this variable, theA4, and the one for the questions, theQ4, matches...&I guess that's about it for now... Let me know if there is anything I have missed... Oh... Yes... The comboBox... It is set to 100 pixel wide for now... It doesn't change the size when the text is longer than that size... I gotta think some more to do that... ;)

texbala
04-21-2003, 07:21 AM
seems like u have changed some interesting stuff.. will take a look tomorrow... am working on the design of AIU now.. good night.. thnx. for ur time..

subquark
04-21-2003, 12:01 PM
I am a bit more for the creating an application

holy cr@p! an application, like self-contained? if you can do that, I think there would be a market.

oh, I teach geology and environmental science, and do radiocarbon dating by day. the flash evangelacism is seperate from the rest.

so I'll write up some stuff this week, more the idea side (since I hardly know what an array is!).

wow . . .

CyanBlue
04-22-2003, 01:24 AM
holy cr@p! an application, like self-contained? if you can do that, I think there would be a market.Know any good business man??? :D

Personally application is better since I don't know much about the component, and it will be more user friendly... ;)oh, I teach geology and environmental science, and do radiocarbon dating by day. the flash evangelacism is seperate from the rest.Yeah... Nothing particular in common except that Flash and no-life life... :Dso I'll write up some stuff this week, more the idea side (since I hardly know what an array is!).Sure... Show us what you got... ;)

texbala
04-22-2003, 01:43 AM
hey CyanBlue... your code was good... i was thinking about it the previous day and u show us the next day... cool...

Before you implement.. let me tell u what I think now ;) he he...

how about an XML document with specific nodes as:
<questions>
<questiontype = combobox>
<question1> blah blah
<choice1> blah </choice1>
<choice2> blah </choice2>
</question1>
<question2> blah2 blah2
<choice1> blah </choice1>
<choice2> blah </choice2>
</question2>
<questiontype = checkbox>
<question1> blah blah
<check1> blah </check1>
<check2> blah </check2>
</question1>
<question2> blah blah
<check1> blah </check1>
<check2> blah </check2>
</question2>
</questions>

pls. ignore the structure, if XML is not correct .. i need to study.. :eek: I know cyanBlue doesn't like XML!! :(

this will generate a cool application? don't u think so...

also.. how do we edit the XML files??? do we have to edit the raw files OR are there applications to edit and save with an interface?? any idea?

http://www4.ncsu.edu/~bjagann/samples/flash/combo_tut.html was the design i came up.. though it is not attractive ... i was able to come up only with this at 4:00am :(

did u say.. u were not interested in components?? i am planning to give it a shot... but didn't study the portion which i shld have studied according to my plan.. :eek:

reg. my visa.. yeah am in F1... EAD is getting over next month :eek: :eek: ; but am not that worried. will be happy to go back to my motherland India without regrets... but US is really a land of opporutnity... may b.. i didn't use it properly... :(

Flash.. no-life life... as a graduate student.. life is hard... infact no social life :( :( - i got a forwarded message in e-mail.. will put on web and give the link soon...

CyanBlue
04-22-2003, 02:08 AM
pls. ignore the structure, if XML is not correct .. i need to study.. I know cyanBlue doesn't like XML!!You KNOW that I don't like XML and you are asking me how to update it??? :D

PHP has some ways of doing it, I guess... I think I have seen some ways of manipulating XML via XML related functions in PHP while I was browsing PHP manual... But as you know it already, I do not know how... :p

Here is the situation... If, say, I want to create a component with this, it will take some time to do it cuz I have never created any component yet... I do not have any plan to learn how to do it either yet... :D I know that this might be a good starting point to do it...
However, by seeing the feature of this, I see that application is more applicable because it will be benefitting more people who do not know how to do things in Flash... You should know some Flash to drag and drop the component onto the stage, right??? It will take some time for people to learn how to do that if it is in component... Yet, if it is in an application where people can just type up whatever is necessary to run the quiz, it will be whole lot easier for them to use... That's why I am keep saying application... Besides, I know how to program, so it will take whole lot lesser time for me to create an application than a component... ;)

Back to the data saving/manipulating stuff...
If it is in component, people needs to add up the PHP server to save some data, whether it is plain text file or the XML file type, to the local disk... It might be solved easily if someone can run the server where the people can run through to get the component working... That's an option...
If it is in an application, people can just run the projector file(EXE) from their local computer and have the third party projector tools save the text file on their local disk... I need to do some searching before I actually lay my hand on it... I know SWFStudio lets us to save local file, but there should be more programs that I can use...

I hope you get your visa status straightened up soon... ;)

I also have M.F.A. degree and this darn situation put me into the line of joblessness... I have graduated last summer and had been looking for a job for several months... Worked for a company for three months as a web developer, and found out that I just do not fit into that company because the boss had other things in his mind when he hired me... Anyways... Doing the freelancer gig ever since... and the one that I am doing is kinda over my brain, so I cannot really do this thing at the moment, but I might do it when this project is done... ;)

texbala
04-27-2003, 05:27 AM
hi there...

http://www4.ncsu.edu/~bjagann/tutorial/cb/ made an initiative for the tutorial. The text is not formatted and some code is not explained. Need a lot of work in it. I am not in a mood to write today, will work on this tomorrow.

I was wondering I can write it and publish it (if someone allows to :eek: ) and put up in my resume. Subquark what is your time line to write, if you plan to write. I know that you are a very busy man (unlike me). ;)

CyanBlue what is the need for using the Spacer movieClip?? (linkage identifier "Spacer"). :mad:

CyanBlue
04-27-2003, 08:47 AM
You actually had time to write this, eh??? Great... ;)

Don't know if you can finish this tutorial and put it in the resume or not... I just don't know how viable it is to the potential employee...

A couple of things... The user can have any number of choices for one question and can have multiple answers for one question.I think you might want to clarify this abit more... People might think that you can do the multiple choice quiz with this, but that is not the case...The correct choices for each answer end with 1 and the wrong answers end with 0. Each answers can have multiple correct answers.You forgot to mention '#' as another demiliter...& theQ2=Which drawing tool draws precise paths as straight lines or smooth curves?&There should be, not really should be but, no space between '&' and 'theQ2'...The Questions has prefix with theQ1 with the numbers 1 is increased for the subsequentt questions
The Answers has prefix theA1 and the number 1 is increased for the subsequent answersThe prefix should be 'theQ' and 'theA', just to be correct... ;)title.htmlText = this.theTitle;This needs to be like this, just to be correct and clarify...title.htmlText = loadQAsLVs.theTitle;Formatting the script might help me read this better... Maybe later???// to get the total number of questions in the text file that is loaded. array is used to check the lines starting with the string "theQ"This will only work when the 'theQ1' and 'theA1' pair matchs correctly... In other words, if you have 'theQ15' and there is no 'theA15', then this routine won't work right...totalQNum MoviClips are placedUm... totalQNum is the variable, not the movieclip???the label is stored in an array called 'theLabel'theLabel is a temporary variable...The push method in Array is used Maybe add () after push because that is the name of the function/method??? Like the push() method in Array is used, and the same to others???tmpArray.push({label:theLabel, data:theData});Maybe you need to put brief information on associative array in Flash here??? Just a suggestion... ;)//theAnswer array is populated on the stage with the tmpArray which was created in the above loop. For each loop theAnswer1Array, theAnswer2Array is created.
_level0["theAnswer" + i + "Array"] = tmpArray;They are created so that they can be used later within the 'MC_QABox' movieclip to assign the proper dataProvider to the ComboBox instances...this["Q" + this.num + "_CB"].setDataProvider(_level0["theAnswer" + this.num + "Array"]);// qTF font and size is determened. Note that the font has to be added to the library before using itDon't forget to mention the 'linkage identifier' for it...this["question" + this.num].border = _global.showBorder;Maybe you want to omit this '_global.showBorder' part in this tutorial or explain why I use this... Mainly I use this variable to set the border property of the text field on and off... It is hard to know whether the text field has been created or not when using createTextField() function, and this border property helps me alot to align to the proper place and to know if I am getting what I am supposed to get and to know if there is any font problem and such... So, I basically turn it on when I create the movie, and turn it back off when I publish the actual SWF file... No more complicated reason behind it... ;)myMovieClip.attachMovie(idName, newName, depth [, initObject] )You forgot to comment this line out... ;)//CyanBlue why do we need this space image?:) You don't really need it... I THINK I was trying to add some space in the beginning when I was trying to populate whole text fields via ActionScript... and I don't think you do need those three lines and the library item 'MC_Spacer'... :DCode in MC_HolderIn that screenshot, there is a layer called 'Action'... Get rid of it... :D
As long as that tick graphic is within 30 X 20, it will be safe...this.Q1._x = 60;
this.Q1._y = title._y + 60;

for (i = 2 ; i <= _global.totalQNum ; i++)
{
this["Q" + i]._x = this["Q" + (i - 1)]._x;
this["Q" + i]._y = this["Q" + (i - 1)]["question" + (i - 1)]._height + this["Q" + (i - 1)]._y + 10;
}This is the place where I actually rearrange the whole thing to the right place... Try to comment the above code out and test the movie... You will see the weird thing happening... ;)
I am 80% sure that this is happening because of the running order of the attachMovie() function and the library items...
Check these out... One might wonder why these lines' initObject were not working...this.attachMovie("Holder", "Holder" + this.num, _global.depth++, {_x:385, _y:15});
this.attachMovie("FComboBoxSymbol", "Q" + this.num + "_CB", _global.depth++, {_x:420, _y:10});What is happening is...
In frame 1, I have this script..._level0.attachMovie("QABox", "Q" + i, _global.depth++);which attaches library item 'QABox' onto the stage... But Flash actually attaches after all the codes in frame 1 has been executed... the new instance of the library item 'QABox' exists in the memory till the other scripts in frame 1 is fully executed... and I have the Flash movie go to the frame 5, and Flash have no time to rearrange those instances that are in memory... That is why I needed to rearrange them again with that for loop... Don't take me 100%... I said I am 80% sure of it... :D

Well... I basically skimmed through what you have written, texbala... I hope it helped...

subquark
04-27-2003, 11:38 AM
:eek: Hey texbala and CyanBlue! This looks great (and it's very discouraging to neophytes!). How did you guys learn so much!?! I'm still trying to get the ball to move from right to left :)

I will take a look at your files this week texbala. Sure can tell you do programming since the tutorial starts with "/*"!

I think it's excellent! I'll take a few screen shots and send you some text that will be understandable to the novice. I see two tutorials out of this, one like you have written, with the hardcore Flasher in mind (and worthy of forum publication, hint hint). And another version for the more casual user.

As far as being published, copyright law (in the US anyway) already considers you published by placing it on the web! So congrats texbala, or should I say: renowned author texbala!?!

And as to the relevance on your resume, I think this will show how you took a problem and developed a solution for it. The impact on an employer will be in the presentation of this project as well as the short timeline in achieving a solution. It's a good solution that can easily be reworked as a template.

As I indicated before, I'll be glad to host a mini site for this, maybe even get a domain name (www.flashforteachers.com, et cetera).

So let me get back to you this week, this is very important to me personally but also to you texbala and CyanBlue. Texbala you helped me see a great solution to this thing and I would like to see you be able to stay in the states for work and CyanBlue is one of the reasons I stay in Flash (1, I can understand what you say and 2, you and this forum have helped me get where I am and 3, I'm secretly stalking you and taking pictures of you playing Mech Warriors).

PS - texbala, what happened with AIU?

CyanBlue
04-27-2003, 12:49 PM
Neophytes??? You are not saying that you are the one, right subquark??? ;)I'm still trying to get the ball to move from right to leftUm... Right to left??? I know how to throw a ball on the bowling alley... ;)

I have not actually checked texbala's SWF link, and it seems like it is not working right... so, I have uploaded it to one of those free servers and found out that it is not working right either... I guess I'll have to check on it as well... Somebody check this link (http://www33.brinkster.com/jasonje/Tutorials/ComboBox/combo_tut4.html) and see if you get the same result as the one from texbala's site... :(

Thank you, subquark... I'll take it as a compliment... ;)
I don't play Mech Warriors... So, you might have been stalking somebody else... ;) Or, were you the one who were lurking around while I was browsing those XXX sites last night??? :p

CyanBlue
04-27-2003, 01:26 PM
Um... I think I have this fixed...

Not really fixed, but the Flash player version problem it was, I think... (Same to texbala's version as well...)

I have added another text field at the bottom of the screen that shows the current FP version... I get 'WIN 6,0,79,0' and it is working fine... If you had checked this site (http://www33.brinkster.com/jasonje/Tutorials/ComboBox/combo_tut4.html) before, you might have to refresh the site several times to see the updated version of it...

I have checked it on IE 6.0, and NS 7.02...

Let me know if it really works for you and what your working environment is... (Don't brag me with good computer... I still have my PII 300 right next to me which I use pretty often... :))

subquark
04-27-2003, 02:45 PM
Ick! That first link was really messed up! The latest link looks perfect (I get WIN 6,0,47,0 on a two day old P4 2.2GHz and 512 RAM, only $500 or so from Dell, plus I bitched when I got it this week 'cause they upgraded the system online and I did not get the CD writer so they gave me a $150 credit!!!! But I still have my old P3 twin 550!) and it looks fine.

Yeah, I figured the Mech Warrior statement would have been a bit of a slap (who has time for that? A guy I work with plays it about 40 hours a week! That's about 5 hours a night and then another 15 on the weekend! I refuse to put any games on my machine, 'cause I'd be too tempted. Roger that on the XXX sites, they don't take too long . . . ).

Okay, enough dribble (no pun intended). Your link looks real good, nicely displayed.

I know nothing about most things, especially programming, but . . . what could be done to created a stand alone app that would allow for a non-computer person to create the .txt files.

In other words, simple prompting such as: Enter question One and Enter answer choices for Question One. I guess, this could be done as a Flash file that just sends variables out into a text file.

Just thinking off the top of my head (I have a buttload of work to do :( ). I'd like to see something really easy for a goofball professor to use (yours truly, but only part-time, the goofball is a full-time thing however).

Gee, I sound pretty goofy and I have not spent the time going through the code yet. I'll look at it this week and also explore the component thing if I can find that component tutorial again . . .

As a stand alone app, textbook publishers would be interested but I don't know what's involved in licensing Flashm et cetera.

I'll write later, oh and that gloating about bowling! You don't have to rub it in my face, my average score is between 78 and 112 (on a good night).

PS - why is the dynamic text anti-aliasing?

:)

texbala
04-27-2003, 07:37 PM
hmm.. the thread is alive again!!!

CyanBlue:
the problem in the swf file... it was my mistake - i had put the background off the stage and got the swf. I saw the file, but i was too tired to save it again, thought of doing it today.. and CyanBlue got his webpage working now... sorry for the trouble...
hope the link http://www4.ncsu.edu/~bjagann/tutorial/cb/combo_tut3.swf works fine now...
Your link gives me 'WIN 6,0,79,0'
Your correctoins are great. As I told earlier, I wrote it everything in a fast pace and didn't care to check it again. I know there are many more corrections that has to be done. Please bear with me. (i am not yet a hard code actionscripter).

subquark:
Reg. the component, I will give it a shot after 15 days or so (Reg. my work status.. am working for another forthnight and then planning to start searching jobs full time for 30-45 days and start packing with a one-way ticket). I will not be able to work with my 40hrs/ week job right now on the component. (I will have more time when I am jobless ;) ) subquark idea is good as a standalone application. But there are many more constraints for a kinda application like that. Will jot down the points later. (I need to work on my portfolio a little bit today.)

anti-alias: the text edge will be smooth with the border and the background color matching; does it differ for dynamic text.
http://www.will-harris.com/webtype/anti-alias.html

'neophytes'... damn that word is for me... whenever am struck with the problem i think of me as very new to Flash (and then think of CyanBlue and get some enthu and start working- that is a different story ;) )

CyanBlue, I saw the other thread that you are not interested for the moderator :( - I will not pursue, if you are not interested.

CyanBlue
04-28-2003, 12:02 AM
subquark... You had to rub it in, eh??? So, you got that machine for $350??? Good for you... Send me your old PIII... ;) I just did configure what my low-level dream machine might be and it came out to be $1879... Oh, well... When I have a job... ;)

The most important thing that needs to be taken care of is the saving a text file locally... Flash projector itself cannot do it, but some other third party Flash projector tools might be handy to enable that functionality... Other than that, it won't be too much of trouble... I just need some time to finish what I am doing so that I could put some more time and energy...

texbala... I just clicked your link again, the one right above this reply, and I saw the chaos in the beginning, and I see the normal quiz program after I refreshed web browser... I am not sure if it is persistant problem or not... :(

Let me know if you need some help later... ;)

Moderator... Um... Actually Billy T already asked me if I want to be, and I said that I am not so sure... The reason is that I see that there are many moderators in the forum already, and AS.org doesn't needs to have more moderators... That is it... ;)

I am kinda sleepy now, and my brain is not functioning correctly...
I am not sure if I am going to go get some sleep or not, but let me know if I have missed anything... ;)

subquark
04-28-2003, 12:05 AM
I second the nomination of CyanBlue to be a moderator!

CyanBlue
04-28-2003, 12:13 AM
:blush: :wink: :wink:

subquark
05-01-2003, 01:13 PM
hey texbala and CyanBlue, I have not forgotten about this. I have a project site going on now and a job interview on Monday (and my wife's birthday is Friday!), so this is on the backseat.

I promise I'll write something soon . . .

:eek:

CyanBlue
05-01-2003, 05:25 PM
Happy birthday to your wife... And do not forget to get something for her... :)

Good luck on the job interview as well... :)

I don't really see this one urgent... Just something that you can do in your free time... So... Do whatever you need to do first, and go on with this again when you have some free time... ;)

subquark
05-01-2003, 05:36 PM
ya see, CyanBlue is moderator material!

hello out there at ActionScript.org . . . CyanBlue . . . moderator . . . perfect candidate . . .

freddycodes
05-01-2003, 05:40 PM
I know I should read the entire thread, but I haven't the patience, please don't flame me. I have skimmed a few of the posts, could someone tell me what you guys are trying to create here, I might be able to shed some insight, or maybe not.

CyanBlue
05-01-2003, 06:11 PM
Thanks for showing us the interest, freddycodes... ;)

Well... Basically most of the problem are solved...

texbala first wanted to know how to use ComboBoz in his movie, so I showed him how to, and showed him how to dynamically generate the questions from the reading of the text file...
And texbala came up with idea of creating a component from that example, and I thought that some sort of web application would be better than the component because 1. I know nothing about creating component, 2. It'd be easier for the users... and the idea of the creating tutorial and some sort of means for non Flash users to use this for their quick survey or quiz form has been brought up as well... subquark came along around this time showed texbala possible support on that tutorial part especially...

So, basically most of the part has been done already... texbala already came up with the first draft of the tutorial, and the component or the web application has been set to be developed later when we have some free time cuz it is not really the important one... ;)

I guess that's basically it, but as you know already, I am not a good person who describe things right... :D

freddycodes
05-01-2003, 06:25 PM
Well then I am sure I won't be able to add much, although the sample I looked at didn't work.

If I could add some info.

You should definitely use XML here, if for nothing more than ease of maintenance. Ideally one would use a database to hold questions and answers, also answers should be able to be shared between questions. There should be event handlers for when a choice is made for a question, and for when the quiz is over, with selected choices made available to the application upon completion of the quiz. XML would be the safest way to make sure the quiz would work regardless of backend technology used.

Maybe I should try and whip something up. Or are you guys already headed down this sort of path?

subquark
05-01-2003, 06:26 PM
WRONG! This thread is about getting a new moderator. The best person I can think of is CyanBlue!!!

Ha ha! Actually the thread is about getting a job at AIU! But if they have not hired texbala, then they ripped off a great set of code. I even wrote a recommendation to the AIU guy since I had also been looking into the position and am familiar with him.

Again: CYANBLUE for MODERATOR!

CyanBlue in 2002! um, well it rhymes . . .

freddycodes
05-01-2003, 06:28 PM
I don't think he wants to be a mod, do you Jason? Whats AIU?

subquark
05-01-2003, 06:49 PM
Does it really matter what CyanBlue wants!?! He is the moderator that ActionScript.org needs!

AIU = American Intercontinental University, it's an "online" place that needed someone to create some great code for online test modules (but not actually hire anyone, don't you hate that!).

CyanBlue for Moderator Supreme!!!! :)

Send contribuitions to:

CyanBlue in 2002
P.O. Box 3421
Mytown, FL 34521
USA

payable: subQuark taco fund

freddycodes
05-01-2003, 06:52 PM
Yep sounds like a real deal, I mean steal, I mean not much appeal. Yes I rap in my spare time :rolleyes:

What forum were you suggesting CyanBlue become mod for the MX one? I agree with Jason that one can contribute much needed and valuable info to a forum and not be a moderator. (Did he even say that, maybe its just my opinion) I am dumb sometimes.

subquark
05-01-2003, 08:01 PM
a rapper!?! well, you can become the Official CyanBlue for 2002 Rapper, that way he can appeal to all those kids, good demographic move.

So how many votes do we need? This is fun, planning CyanBlue's future without him!

freddycodes
05-01-2003, 08:07 PM
His future or his past? 2002 was last year :rolleyes:

subquark
05-01-2003, 10:12 PM
huh?

CyanBlue in 2002! um, well it rhymes . . .

look freddycodes, whose the campaign manager here? you want the thankless job! you take it then! i put my heart and every ounce of belief in this campaign and you just want the glory, well, that's just great!

;)

excuse me, I need a kleenex . . .

freddycodes
05-01-2003, 10:16 PM
lol, where have you been for the last 5 months?

subquark
05-01-2003, 10:54 PM
last 5 months!!!! the campaign trail, of course

CyanBlue in 2002!!!!!

anybody got a picture of CyanBlue ? i wanna make a website for him like chipotle.com!

hey, that's it for tonight, IT IS MARTINI TIME!!!

Yeah for CyanBlue, the best moderator-to-be ever!!!!

Don't mind me, I'm silly when I get super stressed! And CyanBlue, thanks for the wish of luck on the job interview.

texbala
05-01-2003, 11:46 PM
subquark.. anything common btw. us.. am going to NY for an interview.. ofcourse it will not be the same this time ;)

will reply after 2 days...

but always...

MODERATOR!! CYANBLUE!!!
MODERATOR!! CYANBLUE!!!
MODERATOR!! CYANBLUE!!!
MODERATOR!! CYANBLUE!!!
MODERATOR!! CYANBLUE!!!

:D

subquark
05-02-2003, 12:56 AM
best of luck texbala! sounds very exciting! i went to new york for the first time last december and fell in love with it

i hope you do well and if you need a letter of recommendation, i'll be glad to write one! you know: "I had the opportunity to work with texbala and found a person that really could translate real-world challenges into exceptional solutions. Not only can texbala create an elegant solution, but also communicate effectively and bring more resources to the table than expected. I can say with confidence that texbala would be an asset to your team!".

truly do well and I will have you in my thoughts and prayers

CyanBlue
05-03-2003, 05:32 AM
WoW... Lots of things have happened while I was gone for the day... ;)

Thanks guys for the support...

This is what I think... I think AS.org already have many moderators first of all... Moderators are here to control what's going on in the forum area efficiently... They are not here to answer all the possible questions... There are lots of people who answer those and I am just one of them... ;) I am totally agreeing with freddycodes...I agree with Jason that one can contribute much needed and valuable info to a forum and not be a moderator. (Did he even say that, maybe its just my opinion)Don't know if I have said that or not, but what you said is not dumb at all... ;)

There is no actual difference for me whether I become a moderator or not... If I become one, I just become BOLD on who's online list... Nothing more than that... I'll just answe whatever I can to the questions, and I will always bitch at those people who do not search the forum... :)

Well... I guess that's enough of what I think... If Jesse or Strok think that they need another moderator, they will contact me, and if they don't think we need another moderator, they won't... They will know what will be the best thing for the forum, and we just go along with their decision... :)

Ah... You guys don't know how much I envy you guys, texbala and subquark... The last time I had interview was already month ago, and I haven't had that joy recently and I need a job... Whatabout somebody offer me a job instead of a moderator status??? :D I got my family to feed... My wife and two puppies to be exactly... and one of my puppy eats real big time... ;) Good luck on your quest both of you guys... ;)

So... Where have you been for the last five months, subquark??? :D

subquark
05-03-2003, 04:43 PM
the last five months? where have I been the last five years . . .

so CyanBlue, here is a place where I pick up small freelance gigs and I don't mind sharing it with you (big secret). Be careful though, a lot of these are real low budget and there is one place in Brookline, MA that forwards to an intrinsico.com address) that will advertise just to get layout ideas and then you don't hear from them again.

http://www.craigslist.com

I go through all the cities and look at arts/media and computer jobs. I'd say that 1 in 20 answer back and I've had 3 gigs in the last 3 months that actually paid okay (still on the low side, but hey . . .).

So are your trying to say the the "CyanBlue in 2002" campaign is over? Man, I really enjoyed driving the lease Suburban and the nice campaign headquarters setup (I'm gonna really miss the bagels and donuts in the morning). Gee, I have to cancel the weekly office massager too! Bummer, so you want all the "CyanBlue in 2002" banners and what about the video footage and commercials we shot?

good luck in the job search (I use Monster, CareerBuilder, Dice and Brassring but the only nibbles I get are with monster).

CyanBlue
05-03-2003, 11:29 PM
Thank you for the list, subquark... ;) Yes... I remember that site... I think I've been to that site several years ago... But I never thought that I could find the other cities rather than SF area from that site... Silly me... ;)

Job search hasn't been that easy recently... I've been looking for the right place for some time already, and there just isn't many places I want to join, where they are willing to offer me a job... At least not yet... :( Oh, well... I'll get something soon, hopefully... :)

So... 'CyanBlue in 2002' has ended, eh??? I'm sad... Let me tell you this... oldOne = "CyanBlue in 2002";
newOne = oldOne.substr(0, oldOne.length - 1) + (Number(oldOne.substr(oldOne.length - 1)) + 1);
trace(newOne);That way you won't be ending up with all those commercials and so on... :D

texbala
05-04-2003, 02:03 AM
CyanBlue,
I appreciate your thoughts on the board and I pray that the board should need a moderator soon. Hope Jesse/ Strok will mail you soon. I won't force anyone, unless they are fullly interested on their first thinking. anyway... goodluck for the position. and I see that you have been in other boards also (kirupa/ some other mailing list (your reply abt. CF database hosting issues recently)). i really envy on you :eek:

subquark: thnx for your concerns about the job and giving a reco. letter again. I really find hard to see such good people easily in this small world.

reg. the position that I had applied (webdesigner) in a very very small company in 46th street in NY, I might get that, after sorting some legal issues about my H1 visa. but the salary is sorta very low for NY. But I guess i would love the job, changing a static website to an e-commerce one soon. I am not sure how fully I will invovle in Flash MX soon, as I will have to learn a lot in CF mx and start with databases. I would surly consider keeping flash as front end interface, if everything works out smoothly (i.e. if the company agrees), otherwise I hate to think that I might not work as much as i did in flash :mad: :mad: But sure I will give a shot on components when I have time.

my quest for the moderator will not subdue ;)

hmm.. reg. job boards, i use only monster/ dice (i am very lazy to apply to others) and the good thing abt. dice is that contact info is there (esp. phone no.) - follow up will be easy. freelancer, I would like to do, but as an international, i will not be able to, but i have enough work already ;) the replies I got is mostly from monster, but if I follow-up in dice, we get good leads.

cyanBlue with your credits, if someone doesnt' hire you, I bet 200% the company is gonna loose. If I start a company, you will the chief ;) he he...

One more thing to mention .. I usually attend the macromedia users group meeting of Research Triangle Park area in NC (tammug - yahoo groups). I had sent them the link of the tutorial that we had created (i sent that, as there were discussing abt. UI components). Hope you are not angry :( with me for that.. credits are both to CyanBlue and Subquark. they have asked me to present that in one of the session, but am not sure whether I will be leaving to NY before that. Hope it is ok with you, if at all someone agrees to present to the group. (i guess knowledge is to share, esp. after seeing CyanBlues footer (??) -
-----
If somebody helped you today, find somebody who you can help...
-----

here is the mylatest portfolio link:
http://www4.ncsu.edu/~bjagann/portfolio/portfolio.html
am planning to put in the 'site check' area and get some comments. Ofcourse CyanBlue has answered many questoins while doing this. should I say thanks all the time. or shld I do something else ;)

CyanBlue
05-04-2003, 03:28 AM
WoW... I guess the interview went pretty well... I'm happy for you since I have eliminated one other competitor... :p Nah... I guess what I look for is abit different... I don't really apply for the 'web designer' job... I have applied for the 'web developer' or 'Flash developer' job so far, and it is somewhat tough to sort things out... Maybe I should try that as well... Hm... But I hate web design... :(

Um... Moderator... Yeah... I'll just wait for somebody to buzz in this thread... ;)

Kirupa... I don't go there for now cuz I gotta cut down my time that I spend online... I'll go back there when I am done with my current project, I guess... Another mailing list... That's called FlashMacromedia in Yahoo groups... If you have time, join in that place... I learn alot from that list as well... I am read-only in that place... :D Also, there are several other good places such as FlashCoders, but that place is real crowded... It was real hard for me to keep up with the massive wave of the information, so I just do searchin in that place... All are good places to go to learn something... ;)i really envy on youThat isn't really the thing you gotta envy or whatever, because that alone means I have too much free time and am jobless... :p

CF... I don't think CF is that hard if you know PHP or ASP... I have gone just enough to tell you how I hated it though... I hate ASP because it is from M$, and I hate CF because it wasn't as powerful as PHP yet they charge alot on it... So, I am sticking with PHP, I guess... (These are just from the view of a real newbie in server side scripting... ;))

So... You are supposed to present the tutorial, eh??? Don't leave to NYC until then... :p Nah... As long as there is somebody who can do it, that should be fine... Yup... Information/knowledge is meant to be shared... ;)should I say thanks all the time. or shld I do something elseIf you insist... You can give me some jobs... Of course, that chief of your company sounds real interesting as well... Just saying thank you would be more than enough, my man... :D

subquark
05-04-2003, 02:55 PM
um, i can't type so fast. wow on everythjing and congrats texbala! gotta go, a client (freebie job) wants their site up by Tuesday and all I have is the layout that they approved yesterday!!!!

see what you think (only one page now, no loaders yet):

http://www.subquark.com/client/ras

thanks and good luck to you. texbala do good in thepresentation (when is it, I might take a break today and write some for you)

CyanBlue
05-04-2003, 06:08 PM
Hm... That's the freebie site??? and you have three days to finish the site??? It looks like load of works... Hm... Nice design... But I don't like the blinking red menu button though... That hurts my eyes...;) It is kinda abit weird to see the dark blacky sort of colors with the word 'rock against suicide'... Maybe abit lighter colors for the background??? What do you think???

subquark
05-04-2003, 06:12 PM
good colour point! i'll use a livelier background image! thanks!!!

btw, real cute on the code for 2003, how do you know that stuff, boy no wonder I drink!

CyanBlue
05-04-2003, 06:16 PM
I've been sober ever since 94... So... My brain is abit cleaner than what it used to be... :) Hm... 'Sober since 94'... Don't you think this will make another great banner for me??? :D

subquark
05-29-2003, 11:41 PM
Hi CyanBlue and Texbala, I was working with the quiz and when I test it locally, it works fine. But if I put the files on my server (and try to pull the swf up on Texbala's server) all the text is squished up in the upper left!?!?

Is this a flash palyer version issue? hmm . . . :confused:

CyanBlue
05-30-2003, 12:33 AM
Hm... It sounds like the problem I had in the beginning... and if I remember correctly, texbala experienced it as well, and now you too... The conclusion??? I might be the reason for it... I'll have a look at the file soon... How soon do you need that, subquark??? ;)

Where is texbala??? Where are you??? Still in NC or went to NYC already???

subquark
05-30-2003, 11:06 AM
thanks CyanBlue! How soon? Well, I'd like to show it to some folks this weekend! Always last minute . . . I gotta work on that!

THanks!

Texbala?!? In Hawaii I guess?:confused:

subquark
05-30-2003, 12:27 PM
um, actually, I still don't see why I can test it and it looks okay, but not from Texbala's site? Or from my server.

Also, I can't figure out how to make the comboboxes wider so that all the answers are readable. I can move the boxes over to the left but when I try to adjust the width, nothing happens.:confused:

CyanBlue, did you get my email about hosting? Maybe you can use some of my space (for free) :)

CyanBlue
05-30-2003, 12:42 PM
Um... I can't find the file in this computer... I guess I'll have to boot up the other one and check it...

Hey, subquark... Can you tell me the URL of the place where you have put that file online??? I just want to see it myself... Also, tell me if you reload the page that has been messed up, does that look okay then??? (This is the only thing I can remember from last time... :D)

Hm... This weekend being tomorrow or so??? Ain't it toooooo soon??? :D

That combobox size... I'll check it out...

Yeah... I have got the email... Thanks... I also have checked some more on the web... I was going to complie it and upload it so the other people can tell me which one they had problem with... The pricewise, it is just a couple dollor differences, but I won't be able to find how they serve their customer...

Thanks for the offer... Just out of curiosity... Do you have PHP/MySQL on it and still pay $6 on that???

subquark
05-30-2003, 01:22 PM
oh, I took it off the server! sorry and now I am at work! :(

do you have the url from Texbala, that one does not work either, but I did not try the reload. :(

yes, of course this weekend, do you think I plan ahead? :D

here it is
http://www4.ncsu.edu/~bjagann/tutorial/cb/combo_tut3.swf
of course NOW it works on my work pc!!!!

really, you can use some of my server space, but I don't think they have SQL . . .

CyanBlue
05-30-2003, 01:33 PM
I get all the quiz items squeezed up to the left top corner with that file... and the reload made it look right... :(

I guess I gotta fire up the other computer and start find the file...

Actually I was going to do that file over from the scratch cuz I don't like how things are being handled to transfer the variables in it... Oh, well... :(

I was also going to learn how to create a component and have this one set to be the component, but then, I am too lazy to learn that... :p

I guess I'll get one of the cheap ones myself for the hosting... The sole reason for me to get one is to study the PHP actually... I had the PHP script all working fine in my localhost, and then the script not working on the Lycos' free server which is the only free server that supports PHP... Ah, well... I gotta get one... I'll skip a cigarette a day or a meal or something else... ;)

CyanBlue
05-30-2003, 02:30 PM
See if you see this right, I mean as it is supposed to be...

Both are the same files just in the different places on the web... ;)

http://members.lycos.co.uk/jasonje/Tests/Quiz/combo_tut5.html
http://www.cfhosting.it/CyanBlue/Tests/Quiz/combo_tut5.html

subquark
05-30-2003, 03:01 PM
they both look good, except for the combo box chopping off some of the longer answers.

so what is the deal? why did they stack on top of each other before?

I'll check again when I get home tonight . . . on my kookie pc.

so what is that italian host you have?

This is how CyanBlue makes me feel - :D and :) and sometimes :confused: and often with his great code :eek: , but mostly :)

More smilies!!!

CyanBlue
05-30-2003, 03:23 PM
Um... So, that is working fine, actually??? :(

Arg... That just proved my stupidity... :mad:

You know what I have missed??? stop(); at the bottom of the frame 1... Arg... No wonder, eh???

That longer string one... I was waiting for somebody to check that strange(?) behavior... That you for checking it out on me, retrotron... ;)

And, I'll check on that longer one thingy...

There are a couple of different approaches, and one of that might be add one more variable in the text file and have Flash read it and set the size of the text field... I mean... if the variable is 1 then set it to be 100 pixel wide, if that is 2, then the size is 200 and such... That might work, but the problem is that there is no way to show the whole 1000 characters in the small region of the combobox... Hm... Gotta think... Gotta think...

IT hosting site... retrotron told me that one... In case I go and do the CF... :D

subquark
05-30-2003, 03:29 PM
1000 characters!!!! Just 15 or 20 would be fine.

No wonder I can't understand AS, I can't understand english:That longer string one :confused:

I think it's easier for me to have your babies . . . :D

subquark
05-30-2003, 03:32 PM
oops, Yes it is working fine here and I get WIN 6,0,65,0.

CyanBlue
05-30-2003, 03:42 PM
That 1000 was just the figure of the speach...

Right now, I get to see maximum 10 characters with 100 pixel wide combobox... And, there is space for about 150 pixel wide combobox on the screen due to the stage size... But if it is like 50 character long, there is no way I could put them all in one line... Know what I mean??? That is the question I have right now... ;)

WIN 6,0,65,0 is still old... WIN 6,0,79,0 is the latest... Go get the new one... :p

CyanBlue
05-30-2003, 04:07 PM
Anyways... Check those links and tell me if that is suitable size and the layout...

I have set it to 175 and that looks like the widest one I can go without making the layout wide...

Still the combobox for the question 5 gets cut off since it has the longest string value... :(

http://members.lycos.co.uk/jasonje/Tests/Quiz/combo_tut5.html
http://www.cfhosting.it/CyanBlue/Tests/Quiz/combo_tut5.html

Let me know what you think...

subquark
05-30-2003, 04:14 PM
:D

looks great!!! the boxes are much better and just fine like you have them now! Can you send the fla to texbala too? I have his email if you don't.

perfect!!!!! no more work on that! go to lunch, take a stroll, hug your wife and play with the puppies!!! :p

CyanBlue
05-30-2003, 04:28 PM
Check out your inbox... :D

I'll be(?) getting off for a while, I guess, to watch some tv or something...

subquark
05-30-2003, 05:00 PM
thanks and YES TAKE A BREAK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CyanBlue
05-30-2003, 05:02 PM
So, you've got the file, right???

Now, I am going to get some rest... ;)

subquark
05-30-2003, 05:05 PM
yes, get offline!! some other people want to use the internet!!!

watch tv, give your brain (and butt) a rest! :p

texbala
06-05-2003, 01:29 AM
oops... lot of stuff going on... am missing everything... :confused:

i got the fla file from subquark... but havn't seen the code yet. i apologize for not replying... am still in raleigh.. preparing for an interview on friday. i havn't been to the forum for the last two/three weeks.. (it is like a broken-hand:( ).

will check out the code in the weekend and let u know...

i was about to present this fla file (combo_tut3) to the macromedia users group in Raleigh (Triangle) area, but the meeting was postponed due to various reasons. still the same tutorial at http://www4.ncsu.edu/~bjagann/tutorial/

CyanBlue
06-05-2003, 02:09 AM
So... NOW you're back... Good to see you back here... ;)

And good luck on the interview on Friday... You must be good since you are getting lots of interviews... ;)

For the quiz... See this link if you haven't yet...
http://www.cfhosting.it/CyanBlue/Tests/Quiz/sample.html

That one will get you the latest which is the file that you have gotten from subquark... and something else... ;)

I did not know that Flash has quiz template built in... :( Why did we start on this one when there is one provided already??? :D

subquark
06-05-2003, 01:02 PM
because the flash quiz template is not as good! nothing is better than CyanBlue's code (you know, some people consider him a flash guru . . .) ;)

good luck texbala!!! :)

CyanBlue
06-05-2003, 07:03 PM
:blush:

But then, you get to have more choices of the quiz types with that... ;)

subquark
06-05-2003, 07:32 PM
yeah, but the crappy MM quiz template does not pull in external files like yours and texbala's file!

so Texbala is going strong on the interviews. Me, well, I had one real interview on last Monday in Boston. Company makes training materials for pharmaceutical companies (like Pfizer and their 12,000 sales reps!). They have so much work that they want to add 2 more flashers to their group of 8 pure flash people!

but since I flew up there with 2 day notice ticket ($$$), I networked with two other companies.

so good luck to all out there and the rest of us better get jobs before the new CyanBlue web site goes live!!! :D

CyanBlue
06-05-2003, 07:45 PM
WoW... You guys have been working out... Good to hear that... and I hope you get to get some good results out of it... ;)

flashdudette
06-16-2003, 07:18 PM
hey guys - I got an answer from Macromedia about loading questions in MX components. You'll like the load of info it gives:

Basically the answer to my question which was: Can I load questions dynamically from a database? was:

"yes, you can do it - just link your database to the flash movie. and set it so it can load questions and send answers."

These are not the exact words because, Oops, I already deleted their email.

No how to,
No example
No tutorial.

Thanks MM!

No wonder we spend hours making our own quizzes and think about making templates and components. If I come up with something as good as CYan Blue, I'll post it. But I doubt it. He is the genius, no me!

CyanBlue
06-16-2003, 07:28 PM
Well... Macromedia is notorious for their documentation... I'm just glad that you were able to get some answer from them... :D

Nah... That's not actually true... Guys like JD works as much as he could to help other people on other mailing lists and forums... But the fact that MM doesn't provide much information on how to do things and even the basic documentation is not tolerable... But then, what can we do??? :(

Thanks, I'll take that as a complement... But there are big guys out there and I am just small one messing with your mind... :D

subquark
06-16-2003, 07:42 PM
yes, you can do it - just link your database to the flash movie. and set it so it can load questions and send answers.
I love it! :eek:

flashdudette
06-16-2003, 07:47 PM
Isn't it great?

Maybe we'll be lucky and somebody will know how to do it and share with us!

Reminds me of another component: the calendar! That was a pain too!

CyanBlue
06-16-2003, 07:51 PM
Just a calendar??? I have a problem with all the MM components...
They are just plain too heavy no matter how good/bad they are... :(

subquark
06-16-2003, 07:52 PM
have you worked with the calendar? i'd like to make a calendar for a piano coach that she can update with a simple text file. any ideas or neat links? :)

flashdudette
06-16-2003, 08:00 PM
I'll try to get that answer for yo tomorrow. It's kinda burried right now. :)

CyanBlue
06-16-2003, 08:01 PM
Are you saying 'simple'??? I'll say no... :p

I have used this one a couple of times...
Not so great since it is based on the MM's calendar, but I like this one... It depends on what you are trying to do though... :)

One thing though... If the piano coach can take a good care of the text file, that's fine, but I'll say that she'll call you the next day saying that the calendar is not working anymore because she did touch something... Don't you think??? :D

subquark
06-17-2003, 12:52 AM
yeah CyanBlue the MM components are very heavy I think. Since you are now a Senior VP with MM can you get Retrotron to look at the byte code? :D

I agree on the text file, do you have a better idea? One that does not involve me feeling guilty because you are putting 30 hours into it? :(

CyanBlue
06-17-2003, 03:16 AM
Senior VP??? Okay... Wait for 15 more years and I'll have somebody answer your question... :D

As for the text file... The easiest will be having her send you the whatever updates necessary to you and you do the update... Or, somebody creating a CMS program or something that will do the file modification... Nothing else I can think of... :(

flashdudette
06-17-2003, 12:28 PM
Well, I think the best way would be to have a form where you can enter your date info and then the calendar would read it and display it. But that means a lot more work than we should have to do with a component. Were not components suppopsed to make our life easier? Not so wit MM since they don't document them anyway! But is can be done. Seems like not many people put their heart to it - and some who did are not willing to share - Not everybody has a great heart like Cyan Blue!

I agree with the text file - it can be messed up by your client - and you know there some rather computer illeterates out there. Of course having to update the calendar yourself could be a drag if the customer has lots of dates and lots of changes, but you could charge for the work if it is a paying customer.

subquark
06-17-2003, 01:37 PM
yeah, they have daily updates (by the hour for piano coachings)!!!! :eek:

flashdudette
06-17-2003, 02:02 PM
Well, I have a sample but it is very rudimentary. You should load the info from an external file but I have it in the movie. I'll work on that later.

freddycodes
06-17-2003, 02:20 PM
The problem with the calendar component is the ability to set selected days, so say you wanted to highlight all the days with events on them. Its very hard if not impossible, at least when I tried to do this with the MM component, I hear the one in the DRK does more, but it costs 99 and I just spent 500 on Studio MX.

I have written my own calendar in flash 5, and I think I will try again in mx. But the out of box one doesn't seem robust enough for showing highlighted days.

flashdudette
06-17-2003, 02:26 PM
Here is a working version.

subquark
06-17-2003, 02:55 PM
thanks flashdudette, I'll check it out tonite! :)

yeah Freddycodes, the MM component is heavy and not as robust as would be nice.

I just need to sit down and write out an app like the Broadmoor Reservation sytem (oh, I dozed off and was daydreaming).

I guess this would be a prime example of using Flash Remoting and MySQL to get the desired result. Any other suggestions out there?

She needs to have a site where a prospective student (she is Phd in Boston in Piano) can check her availability and schedule an appt. Of course a reservation system would be ideal. But since my skills are, well, and she is my daughter's partner (ie, no charging for this) I'd like a thingy that I could actually make in a few weeks of work (maybe I'll send her a post-it pad and pencil she can stick outside her office!) :p

Thanks yall! :)

flashdudette
06-17-2003, 03:21 PM
here is a tut for cal with remoting components
http://www.zdnet.com.au/builder/webdesign/multimedia/story/0,2000040398,20269873,00.htm

texbala
06-17-2003, 11:18 PM
seems like lot of work is going ON... i love to develop the calender application... but not sure whehter i will have enough time/ work...

thght. CyanBlue/ someone might be intersted in this job position from MM ;)

will update abt. myself later...

http://jobsearch.monster.com/getjob.asp?JobID=17820182&AVSDM=2003%2D05%2D01+14%3A10%3A00&CCD=my%2Emonster%2Ecom&JSD=jobsearch%2Emonster%2Ecom&HD=company%2Emonster%2Ecom&AD=http%3A%2F%2Fjobsearch%2Emonster%2Ecom%2Fjobsea rch%2Easp%3Fq%3Dflash%26sort%3Drv%26vw%3Db%26cy%3D US%26brd%3D1%252C1862%252C1863%26ss%3D0&Logo=1&col=dltci&cy=US&brd=1%2C1862%2C1863&lid=&fn=&q=flash

If the link dosn't work.. search in www.monster.com
May 1 Senior Technical Support Engineer - Flash Macromedia US-CA-San
Francisco

good luck :)

subquark
06-17-2003, 11:24 PM
that's great, I just sent CyanBlue a San Fran link that pays $70/hour for his exact skillset!

do good texbala and fill us in later about yourself :)

flashdudette
06-18-2003, 12:03 PM
Hope Cyan Blue can get the job! He deserves it.

There is a calendar component with examples at:
http://sparkos.com/downloads/components/eventscalendar/ with several example including multipe dates. Pretty good. Now all I wanna do is add some pics on the dates that are filled - a little like Scott did at eyeland.

Great inspiration!

subquark
06-18-2003, 01:07 PM
great link, thanks! :)

flashdudette
06-18-2003, 01:28 PM
No problem! Hope this helps you with your piano project.

subquark
06-18-2003, 01:46 PM
oh, the piano project :( I think I'll stick to the post-it and pencil plan! :p