PDA

View Full Version : projectors+external swfs+flash player on a pc

eskymo
04-22-2003, 08:33 AM
Hi there

i'm in the middle of creating a big animated presentation in flash. To keep the file size of the final projector file to a minimum i have split the animation into sections so that there is one main movie that contains the intro, transitions between each sections and the ending. each of the four sections [external swfs] will be loaded in at key points with this kind of code:

this.createEmptyMovieClip ("section1_mc", 1);
this.section1_mc._x =0;
this.section1_mc._y =0;
this.section1_mc.loadMovie ("section1.swf");

i have got all of this bit working. the final presentation will be burnt onto cd-roms with an 'auto start' facility on them. so when they are placed into someone's pc the cd will automatically begin to run the projector.

What i am concerend about is that the external swf files won't be recognised on the players pc if they do not have the flasg player on their machine. the projector will play ok because it is self contained, but the swf files won't get pulled in at the appropriate places because they won't be recognised. I experienced this problem on a colleagues machine yesterday and it made me panic. we didn't have the files on a cd- we just copied them over onto his desktop. the projector was fine, but the swf file appeared as an unknown file format with a windows icon.

is there a way of getting around this by putting the flash player onto the cd-rom ???

any help with this problem would be a miracle as i've got a really impossible deadline and hardly any time to test it [working for big companies who don't understand what you do and only want the final product pronto is hell] and i need to know the best way of building this asap.

cheers

e

bembino
04-23-2003, 06:27 AM
I have made several CD-ROM presentations and never had any problems with external SWF files loading as long as the main movie is published as a projector. When you publish as a projector, THAT is THE flash player. Are you developing on a PC for a PC? Or are you on a Mac developing for a PC? Not sure why I asked. The only problem I have encountered is when authoring from a PC, trying to create cross-platform projectors that launch other projectors. Other than that loading SWF files into a projector should be cake. If you are on a Mac just make sure that your SWF files actually have SWF as part of their name...like section_1.swf...as opposed to a SWF file just named section_1...

eskymo
04-23-2003, 07:59 AM
hi there

thanks for the reply.

i'm working on a pc making the projector for pc format. I've had other responses form other forums saying just about the same thing. it just happens that the pc i tested the thing on the other day - didn't work. will be testing it again today, but it's hard to find a pc in this company that doesn't have the flash player installed.

will let you know how i get on.

cheers
e