PDA

View Full Version : mobile app development

Vishwas
10-22-2011, 08:01 AM
hi!
I was recently watching an episode on Adobe's tutorial site.
where i noticed they say AS3 can be used to develop apps on android as well as IOS.
What I don't understand is that in general as i have heard Apple doesnot allow flash on it's platform. And whatever alternatives are there are slow.
So what is the truth ?

Is it possible to easily use flash on Apple IOS devices ? Or it is difficult ? Or it is impossible ?

infernosnow
10-22-2011, 08:11 AM
iPhone 4 can use Frash, which is a special Flash for it. In the future, Adobe expects people to purchase Adobe Flash Media Server 4.5 so the workload of Flash is done on the server and data is send to devices, which means longer battery life for the devices.

henke37
10-22-2011, 10:46 AM
Flash can cross compile to the ios platform, meaning that it will produce output specifically for the platform. You still can't load any normal flash movies, but you can make applications using actionscript and flash.

peptobismol
10-22-2011, 02:02 PM
It can export to binary specific to the OS with the AIR tech, Flash CS 5.5+. AIR is bundled with the 'flash' app for iphone but for android, it is not bundled. You have to download it separately on your android.

Is it easy? It depends on your patience. It might work on your desktop but could be very slow or not work at all on your mobile. You have to test your app.

angus mcbagpipes
10-22-2011, 03:08 PM
Yes, you can use Adobe CS Flash Professional to write an app that runs on iOS.

I find Flash Professional a LOT easier that xcode. But I'm also running into little problems.

For example: I would like to have the numeric keyboard display when the user taps on a particular text input box. In xcode I just have to set a particular attribute of the input box. But in the Flash development environment I have not been able to find a way to do the same thing.

So, it seems like it is a bit of a trade off. Flash is a lot easier, but xcode seems more powerful. This is my opinion based on looking at both environments in some detail. Other people may disagree :)

peptobismol
10-22-2011, 04:57 PM
Of course xcode/objective C is more powerful because it's native to iOS. It depends what you want to do, objective C can be a lot easier than Flash, all you have to do is call a method, while in flash you have to write a lot of code to do a simple thing.

Vishwas
10-22-2011, 08:25 PM
hi!
I was recently watching an episode on Adobe's tutorial site.
where i noticed they say AS3 can be used to develop apps on android as well as IOS.
What I don't understand is that in general as i have heard Apple doesnot allow flash on it's platform. And whatever alternatives are there are slow.
So what is the truth ?

Is it possible to easily use flash on Apple IOS devices ? Or it is difficult ? Or it is impossible ?

Ok thanks for the replies.

But what is the rumor about, which says flash CANNOT run on iphone ??

So, if i make a very simple application say a simple calculator. What are it's chances of running on IOS ? Should i be rest assured that it would be run by all the iphone users ?

infernosnow
10-22-2011, 09:10 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Flash#Availability_on_operating_systems

Apple hated Flash and basically forced them to figure out how to make Flash not take up so much battery power when they nixed it on their iOS. You can read the specifics on the link.

peptobismol
10-22-2011, 09:57 PM
But what is the rumor about, which says flash CANNOT run on iphone ??

When people say flash can't run on iOS, they mean the .swf can't be viewed in the iphone browser. It's not a RUMOR.

When you're making an iOS app from flash, it isn't 'flash' anymore. It's translated to binary that can run on the iOS.

Vishwas
10-23-2011, 04:17 AM
When people say flash can't run on iOS, they mean the .swf can't be viewed in the iphone browser. It's not a RUMOR.

When you're making an iOS app from flash, it isn't 'flash' anymore. It's translated to binary that can run on the iOS.

Ok.. that brings some light

And how this may prove to be a problem for flash developers ?

Is it because, in this case, as a flash developer, i won't be able to write apps/games that may run on browsers used on iphone ? While, on the other hand, IOS, C# and other scripting languages would be able to do the same.

Do the iphone users prefer apps/games that run on browsers rathar than as a separate iphone compatible exe app/game ??

peptobismol
10-28-2011, 04:42 PM
i won't be able to write apps/games that may run on browsers used on iphone ?

You will never be able to write games for the iphone browser unless you write it in html and javascript but that's not practical although doable for simple things like a calculator.

Do the iphone users prefer apps/games that run on browsers rathar than as a separate iphone compatible exe app/game ??

iphone games are apps written in objective C. There isn't much of a choice except for making apps.

Again, you can use flash to export binary that can run on the iOS as an app. It's not perfect like if it was written in objective C. It's an emulator.

camilogo1
08-28-2012, 10:54 PM
It's August 2012 and I've been reading that Flash files may be compiiible to iOS apps using ANT files and the Air SDK. I've heard mixed things, that the app runs slow, that the file loses features or conversely, that everything ports over smoothly and Apple can't tell the difference from native code. I'm unemployed now and need to make a huge decision. Do I continue to study Flash and hope businesses realize what a huge time-saver Flash can be or do I flee and concentrate on JS, CSS and HTML for mobile devices?