PDA

View Full Version : Flash elements outside the borders of a SWF

lind
04-28-2003, 06:15 AM
I've seen this done before (but not lately -- back in the Flash 4 days), where animation or flash elements can be seen outside the borders of a flash movie.

Does anybody know how to do this?

jaybee
04-28-2003, 11:04 AM
hi, do you mean they can be seen outside the swf in a movie published and shown on the web or in a projector? or in the authoring environment?

sounds unlikely to me, maybe with some 3rd party app you could do it...

rrottman
04-28-2003, 11:32 AM
Perhaps you think of a swf movie with transparent backgrounds which is layered above an HTML page? Sometimes (mostly in web advertising) you see small adverts (like a dog running accross a web page) within a page. The illusion is as if the flash content leaves the flash.swf canvas but it does not. In fact it never ever can because browser don't know how to render swf content (so far).

lind
04-29-2003, 03:54 AM
I wish I can give you guys URLs showing some flash movies that display flash elements outside the stage.

The only URL I can provide is http://www.macromedia.com/support/flash/ts/documents/off_stage.htm

The problem with this Macromedia's TechNote is that it tells you how to prevent showing flash elements/animation outside the stage.

Back in 2000/2001, when I took a flash class, the instructor showed us how to publish a flash movie for the web with animation outside the stage. Maybe this is only possible for Flash 4 (which I still have and can reinstall if it can't be done in Flash 5).

rrottman
04-29-2003, 06:20 AM
The technote refers to a slight bug in Macromedia Flash Player which sometimes causes objects being displayed even if they are outside the defined size of your movie stage.

With "outside" Macromedia means the 2 up to 5 pixels border which is sometimes rendered around a flash movie by the Flash Player -- and which is wrong.

There is definitely no way to have flash objects being displayed or animated outside the scope of a flash move (.swf file). With transparent backgrounds and HTML (CSS) layers you can, however, create the ***illusion*** that they do.

farafiro
04-29-2003, 07:21 AM
I don't think it can be done by any means now, but if you wanna do that u can fake it