PDA

View Full Version : Video Chat

NeptuneDrew
01-15-2012, 03:14 PM
I'm not new to flash but I am new to any kind of flash interaction between users (such as a chat script).

I have searched but cannot find any open source code for a flash based chat script. I found a tutorial on Kirupa.com which uses php sockets but it was written in 2006 and eludes to the use of xml becoming more prevelant.

If anyone knows of a good source or tutorial, please let me know.

Thanks,
Drew

uplight
01-15-2012, 04:05 PM
In title you put "Video Chat"

Is it video conferencing or text chat. That a big difference. After people use Skype they aspect quality of video and sound accordingly what hard to achieve with Flash.

For text chat it easy and can be done many ways depends of your level and resources available.

I use FMS, RED5 for video conferencing, none of my projects went live because of the quality.
Never tried Stratus.

For text chat all works just perfect

NeptuneDrew
01-15-2012, 04:36 PM
Uplight - I see what you're saying, it wasn't very clear.

It will be one way video and two way chatting. In other words, a live video will be streaming to a bunch of people chatting.

In my eyes, the first step is to understand the chatting aspect. Someone mentioned in another thread the use of calling an xml document every second but to me that seems very inefficient and cumbersome if their is a lot of users.

So, to answer your question. Let's disregard the video part for now. Just the chat is what I'm after.

Drew

uplight
01-15-2012, 05:37 PM
Video will play a key role in your design

If you have one video for many users it is good to implement video server FMS or RED5 and you can build your text chats easy . And it seems like a good solution for you.

BTW I had only problem with sound quality and if you don't use sound you are OK for both servers.

From other hand if you are good in PHP you can dive into PHP AJAX chat what will benefit you in future.