PDA

View Full Version : Displaying Varibles

joebiff
05-30-2001, 07:03 PM
I would like to collect text data, a name for instance. Then use that name throughout the movie.

I have found tons of documentation for setting up the "input text" box and have an inkling of a variable, bit cannot get the display to work on subsequnt scenes, pages, etc.

This must be something simple because all I can find is the start (making input text boxes) but not the finish.

metrogp
05-30-2001, 07:24 PM
open new movie
select typo-tool
click anywhere in the movie
make this text field dynamic
change name of the variable to test
double click keyframe
set variable test = "whatever"
should work or i've missed your point

joebiff
05-30-2001, 09:55 PM
Thanks, maybe need a better explanantion.

The user enters their name ina text box goes to a new screen (position on the timeline) and then sees his/her name in the conext of the page.

I am not send the info to a server, this would need to work locally (as in a projector).

Jesse
05-31-2001, 02:11 AM
Your input text field has a variable name whic you defined via the text pannel. So all you need to do later on is include that ariable in a string. Say the variable name was 'name' and I entered "Jesse" then on a later frame you could use:

_root.outText = "Earlier you said your name was " + _root.name + ", what kind of name is that!?"

Put that action on the frame you have your dynmaic text box (displaying the output) on... Also read the Variables 101 tutorial if you haven't already.

Cheers

Jesse

keywords: using dynamic input text fields variables display

[Edited by Jesse on 05-30-2001 at 09:13 PM]

joebiff
05-31-2001, 02:14 PM
Thanks!

This helped, and thanks for pointing me to the AS101 page