PDA

View Full Version : Grab information from a word document

RVK
05-19-2003, 11:05 PM
I doing a little flash application that's going to sit on a laptop at a presentation. It's just going to list a bunch of questions and answers.

Anyone know if it's possible to grab information from a word document. I want to be able to type the questions and answers into a word document and then have flash load them in.

I would assume it could be done if it's on a stand-a-lone laptop.

thanks for any info!

-R

freddycodes
05-20-2003, 12:27 AM
Does it have to be a word document? Can you just type them into a text file?

RVK
05-20-2003, 12:58 AM
well here's the thing:

The clients currently have an HTML question and answer presentation setup. The questions are listed with each answer displayed under the appropriate question. They like this system, cuz all they have to do is open a word document update the list of 32 questions and then hit save as HTML, and it's done.

I'm trying to convince them to do a more interactive flash version, and they want it, but they need to be able to update it as easily as they could before, due to the fact no one in the office is that great with computers.

So can you think of a method for them to update the Q&As really easily?

Thanks again for your input!

-R

CyanBlue
05-20-2003, 02:47 AM
Um... Word has another Save As option for the 'Plain Text (*.txt)'... I don't think this would be too much trouble to let them learn how to save in plain text... The problem would be letting them understand where and why they need '&' to seperate each fields... Don't you think??? ;)

I say... Create a simple Projector that have fields that needs to be used within the presentation with read/write functionalities... Either use F5 projector or some of those third party projector tools, or wrap it within VB to do that??? Just my 2 cents... ;)

subquark
05-20-2003, 02:36 PM
CodeBeast

RVK
05-21-2003, 05:16 AM
Just what I was thinking!

CodeBeast??

-R

stealthelephant
05-21-2003, 09:30 AM
M$ keep the file layout for ms word docs hidden. you may have noticed that other office suites that attempt to read a word document sometimes get it wrong, thats because they are doing best guess's as to how they think M$ save their word files & the M$ often change the file formats just to mess up the competition (aka sabotage releases).

Alternatively,
QT C++ application (platform independent libraries, will run on windows, linux, unix & macs :)) front end to a simple MySQL database :)
QT = free, MySQL = free, commerically viable, proven and more reliable that 'that other' company :p

fgf
05-21-2003, 12:54 PM
if its stand alone use a director file as a custom frontend to allow them to update a txt file. Or some VB for apps inside word?

If its online set up a simple php/asp/cgi script to update the text file from a flashmovie/webpage

fgf