PDA

View Full Version : passing arrays back to flash

stealthelephant
05-26-2003, 03:13 PM
i am currently sending a string back to flash and parsing out the data in it using actionscript. Is there any way to pass the array back and obtaining an array variable in flash?
currently this is what im doing

[PHP]
echo "&returnvars=";
for($i = 0; $i < $length; $i++)
{
echo $returnvars[$i];
echo " ";
}
i want to just be able to return $returnvars and have flash use the array. cause the way im doing it now, flash has to a lot of extra work just to reformat the values and it seems like its kinda stupid doing it like this......

freddycodes
05-26-2003, 05:47 PM
Not natively, since data types are different in flash than they are in PHP. But using something like amfphp, its very easy.

http://amfphp.sourceforge.net

You can use other things like WDDX, but there is overhead involved with all of them.

stealthelephant
05-26-2003, 06:18 PM
great stuff, thanx

stealthelephant
05-27-2003, 12:06 PM
downloaded the docs for afmphp. It says that i need flash remoting packages installed, but this costs 1k :( so i assume that downloading the components will do the trick?
the amfphp docs also state that they arent sure if afmphp is legal:eek: any toughts on that anyone?

CyanBlue
05-27-2003, 12:18 PM
I think you need this one...
http://www.macromedia.com/software/flashremoting/downloads/components/

;)

freddycodes
05-27-2003, 04:06 PM
Yep like CyanBlue said, those components are a free download. As far as the legality issues go, I had the same concern, however Macromedia has yet to comment on the legal issues of this product. If you are concerned you could try PHPObject, there is a tutorial o nthat one in the tutorials section of this site. I myself and not too worried since its been out for some time now and MM has not said they have a problem with it. They claim that amfphp does a fraction of what the 1K version they have does, which is probably true, if you care about ColdFusion and .NET interaction. But for just getting data in and out of flash it does the trick.

stealthelephant
05-27-2003, 10:27 PM
probably, but it seems to me that loadvars could become legacy pretty quickly (unless used for tiny transfers....)
although i think i will try and solve the problem with both versions - my actionscript could use the practice

freddycodes
05-27-2003, 10:29 PM
Yes LoadVars can be used for quite a bit including loading in recordsets, its just a whole lot easier to hook existing PHP classes up to flash with remoting.

deadlydentures
05-29-2003, 09:16 PM
Hey, i was finally able to upload arrays without anything extra!!

status = "Logging in" ;
forum = function(id, name) {
this.id = id ;
this.name = name ;
}
forums = new Array() ;
f_php = new LoadVars() ;
f_php.load("http://localhost/board/viewboard.php?username=Clinton&password=*****") ;
f_php.onLoad = function(success)
{
if( success )
{
i=0 ;
offset = 0 ;
for( var temp in f_php )
{
switch( offset )
{
case 0 :
tmp_name = f_php[temp] ;
offset ++ ;
break ;

case 1 :
forums[i] = new forum( f_php[temp], tmp_name ) ;
offset = 0 ;
i++ ;
}
}

}
else {
status="NOOOOO!!!" ;
}
}

It uses the for...in loop, and while it returns it somewhat backwards, i easily worked around it. What do you guys think?
It works perfectly, and i can upload any amount or complexity of data i want! :D

freddycodes
05-29-2003, 09:23 PM
That is just one of many many ways to upload complex data types from PHP to Flash. Again, whatever works for you is fine, whether it be LoadVars(), XML, AMF. Whatever suits your fancy.

The advantage to remoting is the automatic conversion of native data types form one platform to another.

stealthelephant
05-29-2003, 10:47 PM
i had mine working, just seemed like i was doing it the hard way and there should have been an easier way to do it.....
amf will do for my when its time to pass complex arrays back and forth.....
then again, im new to actionscript and am making mistakes........

CynicisMx2
04-19-2004, 03:13 PM
Hey all,

I'm looking to pass an array to flash from asp. The following method isn't workign for me:

contents of foo.asp

<%
response.write "a=[1,2,3]"
%>

where I use
stop();
loadVariablesNum("foo.asp", 0, "GET");

and some dynamic text boxes to see if I got the data correctly. Any advice?

CyanBlue
04-19-2004, 03:44 PM
Howdy and Welcome... :)

You cannot send the array like that... Flash understand that as a whole string, so it is not working that way... You need to make the output to be something like 'a=1|2|3' and use split() function within the Flash to parse it back to an array...