PDA

View Full Version : Portfolio Site Chek

annexion
06-04-2003, 11:47 AM
Whoa, weird... Did you post anything?

Timmee_3Styler
06-05-2003, 05:11 AM
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm that is weird...... I think I posted just before the server was updated but without the info :(

neways

here is teh site: http://www.netizenlabs.com/tim/

thank you =)

VitiminJ
06-05-2003, 12:59 PM
Sometimes I think these newbies add there sites just for bragging rights. jk. Looks great I really enjoyed it. And your sites are very nice and easy to nav. A+

JHallam
06-05-2003, 01:29 PM
Can you tell me what font you used?

Great site, some of the animations do need to be slightly modified and tweeked, I think! Transitions etc

Site design does look very simple and very soothing. I like it

Good work dude

Timmee_3Styler
06-05-2003, 05:26 PM
VitiminJ: nah I posted it here such that I get some feedbacks like you gave, cause for example if I do what others does and post in cool site... I wont get these kinda feedbacks

GRaPHiX_FReaK: I use the kroeger font from i believe www.miniml.com
or something to that extend =)
What you think about the modification and the tweaking?

thanks guys =)

JHallam
06-05-2003, 08:06 PM
Thank you muchly for the font...

basically what I mean about the transitions and animations is that, the illustrations etc tweek them, like for example...animation of the fish in the tank...fish etc doesn't look as good as they could...little bits you could work on to make the site a winner. No dis respect to the design now, its very good. Just that I think now you have the site functioning and workng well, work on the little things...they always make that much difference ;)

Thanks again

Timmee_3Styler
06-06-2003, 03:35 PM
hey thanks for the comments so far, maybe I should give some areas of my site I would like answers to:

Is the site laggy?
because b4 when i tested it on some cpus @ this company, it did lag a bit, but I have tweaked the programming and it should not lag as much as before

Any page transition suggestion would be gladly accepted since there does not exist one @ the moment

thanks =)))))

____
06-08-2003, 12:51 AM
I think there should be less mouseOver sounds
but the site is great loved the nav and the feel

Mortimer Jazz
06-09-2003, 04:02 PM
You obvisouly have good programming skill paired with artistic talent.

As for your site, it's easy to navigate, uncluttered and fast to load and some great design there. The click sounds are a little too loud but that's about it.

In the other thread you mentioned typical flash sites and I must admit that lead me to believe you'd have some dark monsterous site that was well over the top. I stand corrected!
I wouldn't class yours as a typical flash site either. You've avoided the pitfalls. It's an enjoyable experience to surf around. :)

Timmee_3Styler
06-09-2003, 04:46 PM
thanks ______ appreicate it :D

Jazz: thanks for the site comments and as for our discussion, the main point is our differences in opinions...but thats alll koool :D

webguy
06-09-2003, 06:01 PM
I wish I could shoot the birds out of the sky ;) (click, click, boom)

dodo12
06-09-2003, 07:42 PM
Timmee101

I want it to play as an intro to the homepage, not just play like an ad in the homepage

Timmee_3Styler
06-09-2003, 09:28 PM
Hey does any of you guyz mind checking the site again?
added something new please please please please :D

comment on that hand...thats basically it... :)

PS: Ive finally have hit the level where im kinda sick looking @ this site so ya....... would like the final critisim on it =D

praises are also nice hahah

Zarathustra
06-09-2003, 09:36 PM
I think that the motion in your designs has a lot of flow, and are pretty tight. Some of the graphics are a bit unpolished, but only on a few of the sites in the portfolio.
//critique 1:
the verticle nav bars kill my eyes; combined wit hthe light blue and white color sceme, it's an effort to read.
//critique 2:
the initial information screens for your web portfolio contain no thumbnails, I have to search for the link to the site to which the info blurb refers to (which is a link that is not obvious, btw - it's kind of just buried down near the bottom). thumbnails are nice.

I didn't notice any lag, but you can create a virtual modem speed when you use the "control>test movie" command. once that screen is loaded, use "view>bandwidth profiler" and "view>show streaming", upon which you can then use the "debug>56k" (or whatever speed you wantto test the loading speed". this is a useful tool for guaging the loading time of your site, and I find it to be quite invaluable.

Good Job!

Timmee_3Styler
06-10-2003, 12:58 AM
thanks for the comments zara, and your crtique for my site as well as others is very helpful....

hmmmmmmmmmmmm for the thumbnails, they way I have it set up is that when you mouseover the client or site, the screen will change to the thumbnails

The lag I was talking about was the actual computer lag, and not the loading time lag cause I pride myself on loading time of websites and tested that fully, But i dont have 6-7 cpus lying around with dif processor speed to chek out the lower end of the computer systems to c if the animation runs as smoothly as on my own or 550 mhz or below

Zarathustra
06-10-2003, 01:14 AM
If you want to test your loading time versus various kbps, Flash has a built in tool for testing that. You may know about that already, if not, let me know and i'll explain it to you. It's pretty easy.

Mortimer Jazz
06-10-2003, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by Timmee101
But i dont have 6-7 cpus lying around with dif processor speed to chek out the lower end of the computer systems
Why not? ;)

Amature! :p

Timmee_3Styler
06-10-2003, 02:36 AM
Zara: no my problem is not about the loading time..got that down pat... my concern is cpu sppeed now

Jazz: :( im poor man........ 19 n still in university =(((((

pixelwit
06-10-2003, 03:40 AM
Only real stumbling block I encountered was that you need to close the last viewed project before you can open the next one. It's a bit of a hassle.

Nice work.

-PiXELWiT
http://www.pixelwit.com

Timmee_3Styler
06-10-2003, 03:57 AM
I shouldnt reply to each response should i? :confused:

neways pixelwit..thanks for the comment
but with your problem you dont have to close it to view another project...all the info is there..i guess you just dont wanna close it to view the screenshox?

pixelwit
06-10-2003, 04:27 AM
I have a 56k connection.
I clear my cache so all content streams.
I open your file at http://www.netizenlabs.com/tim/
Click the "Portfolio" section
Click "Experiments".
Click "Elastic Windows"
Close the new browser window.
Click "Bouncy Menu"
Nothing happens.
Click any other open menu item, nothing.
Close "Dynamic Windows" panel.
Everything works as expected.
Reload site with files in cache all works as expected.
Clear cache, reload site, same problems as listed above.
That's what happens for me anyway.

-PiXELWiT
http://www.pixelwit.com

Timmee_3Styler
06-10-2003, 04:57 AM
hey thanks...... ya thats the bug that I think is happening when you click too fast

is it when the screen just goes dark and thats about it?

*sigh* I think the main problem is behind the AS not accoutning for the fact that you could be clicking on the sub menu items before the screenshotz are even loaded, so it sets a particular boolean to false, and performs no actions...
hopefully it is an easy fix...thanks pixel :D

06-10-2003, 05:11 AM
I think you are a great storyteller. The way you layout on your Flash website. Each section has its story of uniquness. Try make the gold fish looks more natural and real. The nav sound is bothersome. A sound that is soft..not too hard on the surface is more suitable for your transition, I think.

Anyway I really enjoyed visiting your website.

Timmee_3Styler
06-11-2003, 04:31 AM
pixelwit: yay! i finally probably hopefully well to my testing has finally fixed the little bug in the AS that makes it annoying sometimes... thanx =)

009 thans for the comments...
goldfishes natural n real......hmmmmmmm gotta think about that
mayb actually looking @ the ones i have @ home...

the sound yup..... gonna look for a betta one
itz getting on my nervers too but i tone it down a few volumes.. so itz not tooo "hard"

thanx =DDD :D

jackboulton
06-11-2003, 10:49 AM
I have problems viewing your site on a 17" monitor. It's fine on a 19" but with anything smaller you have to scroll the window to see the content. Call me picky...

Apart from that, very good.

Jack
www.jackboulton.com

Timmee_3Styler
06-14-2003, 04:09 PM
thank you to those who has already looked at my site, those comments has made my site betta, cause I took alot of those comments into consideration in adjusting my site.

Before the site was made perfectly for any size screen

But I think the hand adds more originality into the site and I liked it and since Im basically trying to attract companies, I think that was a piece I wanted to keep in it altho now itz better for solutions
1024-768 or above :(

might have two versions...one w/ hand one w/o :D

pom
06-14-2003, 08:44 PM
Highly enjoyable site :) Nice work man.

Timmee_3Styler
06-18-2003, 10:29 PM
QUESTION: Should the hand stay or should the hand go?

<edit>
nvm I removed it
I think it is cleaner..faster download neways
29 KBz
</edit>

Ohrycle
06-26-2003, 10:18 PM
Very nicely done. There are 1 or 2 broken links, they annoy me, but otherwise, wonderfully done.

You have great artistic tallent, oh... yeah... and your good at developing :-)

Nice :-)

Eye Digitale
07-15-2003, 11:26 PM
Tim, I liked the site, its super fast and some nice flash artwork, navigation is cool too. keep up the good work :)

All best,
Alex

dre
07-16-2003, 12:20 AM
I really like the site. It's awsome.

Only Comment: maybe it'll help, maybe not. Perhaps if you reduce the character spacing of the main menu items/words. It may make it easer on the eye to read. I think the site looks awsome. I had a tiny problem reading the verticle menu item (navigation). Great illustration, color scheme, its' smooth, easy to navigate and fast.

Timmee_3Styler
07-16-2003, 09:11 AM
thanks man, and I do agree I have to work on the readability of the font cause it is extrmeely small on high res, with a pixel font size 8

ill try to work at that... thank you ;)

archaea
07-17-2003, 02:25 PM
im inspired
will you have the guestbook live in that box where it says coming soon?

Doffenn
02-22-2004, 01:02 AM
Where did you find the navigation idea/code? Ive seen it somewhere else in the past.

Colin Campbell
02-22-2004, 01:13 AM
http://www.ebaumsworld.com/forumfun/misc8.jpg

;) This thread is so old.

Timmee_3Styler
02-22-2004, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by Doffenn
Where did you find the navigation idea/code? Ive seen it somewhere else in the past.

Started as a slide menu like everyone has seen b4, played around with duplicating menus and liked the fadign effect so included it in ;)

PS why let it die though colin :p

Timmee_3Styler
02-22-2004, 10:11 AM
wow this thread is approaching 2400 views... :o