PDA

View Full Version : HELP!! PLEASE!! GOING INSANE HERE.. have mercy!

eyedea
07-15-2003, 07:20 AM
Hi everybody,
I’ve got an urgent question – been stuck with this for a while and I don’t know what to do...Hoping someone here can shed some light on this....
Well, here’s the story.... I’m working on a band site and put a temporary display onto their webspace, they bought the name from '.tv' and I set up the forwarding. Initially there was a banner at the bottom of the page and while this was up, some people had problems viewing the page. It would pop up then disappear, coming up with an error. I thought this was probably something to do with the banner, maybe they’d added frames or something. Now Redhed paid the £12 the '.tv' company wanted to remove the banner – I thought this would solve the problem. But the error still happens.... I looked at the index page, can’t see any unusual script, like Java or anything.... When I go directly to the actual URL of the webspace – no problem.... Only when redirected it causes problems....

I need to solve this soon as the site is supposed to be uploaded by the weekend...
If anyone has time to check the link for me and maybe have some thoughts on this - I would appreaciate it !!
http://www.redhed.tv

THANKS
Prisca

Caimin
07-16-2003, 02:31 PM
I don't see any errors - but there's still .tv banner along the bottom.

jonbid
07-16-2003, 07:53 PM
for some reason i can't even see the page... :( sorry!!
may be my computer (playing up)

Colin Campbell
07-16-2003, 08:47 PM
no errors on my site either... go into your options (if you have ie) and go to the bottom where you can disable different kinds of web content and make sure the right things are selected... (I might be wrong, I don't have IE)

fgf
07-22-2003, 12:49 PM
looks ok to me 2 ie6/win2k

Whats that javascript in the page source doing though?

fgf

patmanwb
07-22-2003, 03:04 PM
When I go to the .tv page it shows up as a blank page (the IE file not found 404 page).

When I view the source of the .tv page there is a frameset tag with one frame, which makes no sense whatsoever. Seems to me if you took out the frameset perhaps it would act more appropriately?

Give that a shot!

fgf
07-22-2003, 03:20 PM
i think i get it now.

A frameset with one frame is a standard masked web fowarding technique.

You have one simple page on the site 'hosting' the domain name which just loads where the page is actually hosted.

it sounds like they are screwing this up. Try a better web host.

If you are UK then try easily.co.uk. If you pay a bit of money £45 or so you get decent hosting (a real virtual host non of this forwarding nonsense) with php etc (no DB unless u pay a bit more). I maintain 3 sites through them and they are dependable and quite helpful when u need to speak to them. You can transfer in the domain to them and escape from your ropey host.

Try giving them an email (before paying anything) and get them to explain how to transfer it accross (there are probably different rules for .tv that .co.uk which was what i did this with.) and if you like there level of helpfulness and response (which was origonally sold me) then move.

Trying to be too cheap with hosts can lead to much trouble. easily is a good compromise between cost and value at the moment

fgf

patmanwb
07-22-2003, 03:28 PM
Frameset forwarding?

YUCK!

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="Javascript">
document.location = "http://www.somesite.com";
</SCRIPT>

That is the best way to do forwards :)

I guess if you wanted the URL to stay the same you could do it the frameset way, but it's obviously not working out.

patmanwb
07-22-2003, 03:30 PM
Also if you are in the US and need some simple hosting with all the features and LOW cost..

5dollarhosting.com

believe it or not it's a great place and they give you all sorts of goodies.

Billy T
07-24-2003, 01:19 AM
hey patmanwb

could you possibly tell me the exact version of php and the GD extension they run on 5dollarhosting?

I emailed them but have not heard back...

Have you been happy with their speed/up time etc?

btw to find out the php details just run this script

<?
echo phpinfo();
?>

save as phpinfo.php or whatever and load it in the browser

Thanks mate