PDA

View Full Version : Game source code

ThinkerThinker
07-31-2003, 05:48 AM
Hi all

I am a freelancer, and have just completed an online gambling game for a games company. They in turn were commission by one of the major online gambling companies in the UK.

The development cost came to around 7000.00

Now the studio that commissioned me wants to buy the source code from me. They have similar games the want to develop but obviously want to re-skin the other games in-house, which would be cheaper.

How much is source code worth? I have no idea what to ask for it. Obviously there will be a loss of revenue for me in that I will not get the re-skinning or upgrading work from them so I need to compensate for that.

Any ideas?

Cheers

P.

Sualdam
07-31-2003, 06:04 AM
This is a 'how long is a piece of string' argument in some respects.

If the people who want to buy it are likely to have a lot of use for it, I'd say twice the development cost wouldn't be too unreasonable.

I mean, if they were going to make millions, then you should put the price up accordingly, but you aren't likely to know that information.

Similarly, if they are not likely to get many hits from it then you can go downwards to make it worth both your whiles.

I wouldn't go much below 7,000 without a very good reason.

fgf
07-31-2003, 06:44 AM
Go up an order of magnitute?

I work for an e-learning company. People pay that kind of money for a few hundred html pages.

If you genuinly don't want to give up source then they'll have to up their offer till you feel better about it.

If you can use it else where you might consider only selling some rights. I.e. sell them the right to modify the code for use by their company (or their specific client) (i.e. no resale rights).

That would be worth less and might still suit their purpose while at the same time explaining why the full source rights are so expensive.

My basic (and not very formal ) agreement for freelancing is that both myself and the client can reuse code. Basically because i'n not going to pretend i don't reuse code between projects. To get and entirely exclusive piece of work would cost well in excess of dev time (and probably wouldn't be legal anyway cos of using open source code chunks).

fgf

ThinkerThinker
07-31-2003, 06:56 AM
Thanks for the responses

fgf you gave me any idea. I will make two prices.

One will be just below the development cost (let's say 5000) but they will have to give me permission to re-use the code for other clients and in that way I can re-coupe potential lost revenue.

The other price will be very expensive (let's say 14 000) but they get it all and I will not sell it on.

The game is very unique so they might not want me to sell it on.

Thanks

P.

fgf
07-31-2003, 06:58 AM
Glad to be of service.

But I still think you might want to up both prices unless you are trying to direct them to the 14 grand in which cases u don't want to price yourself out obviously.

fgf