PDA

View Full Version : comunicate with server

tsp
06-20-2001, 09:04 AM
is it possible to make a flash application that could comunicate with a sever
it would need to be able to make new folders on the remote and then upload files from local disks to the remote server.

possible?

Jim

snowdude
06-22-2001, 06:04 AM
Yeah but it has nothing at all to do with Flash, you need to use either Perl, PHP, CF, or ASP. Just have the Flash movie send commands to a script that you wrote to do any of these tasks.

Jesse
06-22-2001, 09:38 AM
yeah and stuff like uploading is difficult because you can't offer the 'browse' button like you can with HTML, so getting the local path is difficult. Better to just stick with HTML for such things.

snowdude
06-22-2001, 09:54 AM
What stick to html - I don't think so. I agree with the browse button problem - I've tried so many different things to get something close to a browse button or even fake it in Flash - But nothin. Besides that I think you can do everything better in Flash. Just takes a little more work.

Jesse
06-22-2001, 09:58 AM
I said for these sorts of applications. Until Flash has built in functionalities for browsing local drives and the like, it's simply not as functional as HTML for such purposes.

snowdude
06-22-2001, 09:16 PM
Yeah I agree. I hope that Flash 6 has some sort of file browse function. I can't imagine that it would be that hard for them to implement. But then again it probably is. That's my number one thing on my Flash 6 wishlist.