PDA

View Full Version : AS.org Awards #1!

Colin Campbell
09-08-2003, 05:05 PM
Ok, rules: you can only vote for one person per category. *for best poster, the person you like to read posts from the most* *best member is the person who makes the site the best, because he/she is here* *favourite member is your personal favourite*

Best Member:

Best Overall Poster:

Best Overall Helper:

Best Helper/ Poster (actionscript forum):

Best Helper/ Poster (General Help):

Best Helper/ Poster (Flash MX):

Best Poster (General Chat):

Best Poster/Helper (Scripting and Backend):

Most Insightive Poster:

Most Annoying Poster:

Favourite Member:

Best Work produced by a member:

Hopefully this can be a bi-annual event sort of thing. Vote fair, and have fun!

McGiver
09-08-2003, 06:00 PM
hmm, not easy to decide! there is onely one answer that instantly appeared in my Brain:

Most Annoying Poster: COLIN14 (no just a joke! don't count! I don't think this is a good kategory!)

Best Member: Jesse (if you can count him as a member (is the underground server done jet?! ;) )

Best Overall Poster: Cyan Blue for his 5000 posts thread

Best Overall Helper: Jesse (He helped me with some account problems)

Best Helper/ Poster (actionscript forum): No Idea!

Best Helper/ Poster (General Help): No Idea

Best Helper/ Poster (Flash MX): No Idea

Best Poster (General Chat): Colin for his flood of threads

Best Poster/Helper (Scripting and Backend): no Idea

Most Insightive Poster: if this means "with most knowledge around flash" I would say Fara

Favourite Member: Linckx, because he likes beer and rockmusic too

Best Work produced by a member: Little Richards little simulation of human Life quite Impressed me http://www.actionscript.org/forums/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=29533&perpage=15&pagenumber=2

Colin Campbell
09-08-2003, 06:19 PM
Yes, you're right about insightive poster

Best Member: Jesse, for all the hard work

Best Overall Poster: CyanBlue, for being one f****** awesome ASer

Best Overall Helper: Adrenaline, because he's always helping people

Best Helper/ Poster (actionscript forum): Fara

Best Helper/ Poster (General Help): Adrenaline, again :p

Best Helper/ Poster (Flash MX): CyanBlue, because he rocks

Best Poster (General Chat): Donno...

Best Poster/Helper (Scripting and Backend): Freddycodes, for obvious reasons, I swear, this mans a genious
*talk to me freddy I'll need your help really soon ;)*

Most Insightive Poster: hmmmmmm.... from what I've seen, Jesse. he can do some amazing stuff.

Most Annoying Poster: Myself, because for some reason I always feel like I annoy people online, donno. Am I annoying?

Favourite Member: I love to read Soup's posts for some reason, maybe its the name....

Best Work produced by a member: No doubt. From what I've seen here, Slayerment's site (www.slayerment.com/atmosphere/) is one of the best on the internet.

Adrenaline
09-08-2003, 07:33 PM
THANKS COLIN!! :D

Best Overall Poster: Cyan Blue again for his 5000 posts thread

Best Overall Helper: farafiro

Best Helper/ Poster (actionscript, General Help, and Flash MX forums): Warrior / pixelwit / webguy / dzy2566 / soup / snapple / oldnewbie

Best Poster (General Chat): colin!!

Best Poster/Helper (Scripting and Backend): Billy T

Most Insightive Poster: farafiro

Most Annoying Poster: Lets keep this positive

Favourite Member: colin14 (for voting for me, jk. For being a helpful and good guy)

Best Work produced by a member: BDUSTY (for www.eyedentityinteractive.com)

This is a very hard task since we are so lucky to have so many great and helpfully people! Of course the people above don't do all the work, its everyone's joint effect to help and that is why everyone is a winner!! :D

Colin Campbell
09-08-2003, 07:37 PM
:D Exactly, there wasn't one category where someone was far ahead in, it was all close. Someone else does it on a forum I'm on, buts it better here. There they have all these "worst member" and "worst admin" categories... its not too encouraging...

Grifter
09-09-2003, 02:30 PM
Most annoying poster: Colin14
All other awards: People know who deserve them and who doesn't. Any attempt at defining "best ..." is pointless becasue you'll only end up forgetting/ignoring people who deserve recognition, which is not necessary.

NB: don't worry i don't think that i deserve any awards*, i'm just stating my opinion.

regards
Grifter

*unless you make one for the Member who sounds most like a right whinger

dzy2566
09-09-2003, 03:09 PM
I agree in some respects, with Grifter, just in that it's tough to categorize, because you will inherently end up forgetting or exculding someone. This forum see's a lot of very helpful and insightful people. They post because they have knowledge to share, because it's fun solving problems, because it helps them learn, because it's fun to help others share your passion for something, and it feels good to help someone just because you can. Some people instantly come to mind, when I read these categories. But I also know that I have read some very helpful posts by someone I've never seen around the forum or someone posting for the first time. I've always gotten a good feeling when I'm posting and reading posts here because all I see, generally, is people helping others for no other reason than they can and care to do so. I wouldn't want to put any pressure on that.

I'm a daily visitor and long time member of newgrounds, so I can appreciate the allure of awards and the like. But this isn't the place for it. I appreciate a wrong solution from someone trying to help as much as someone who solved my problem. It's tempting to give out awards, but I don't think it's appropriate. No hard feelings Colin, I've thought about it before myself. But the longer I'm here, the more I enjoy as.org just the way it is.

McGiver
09-09-2003, 04:12 PM
yeah, I totally agree with dzy2566! couldn't have said it better

dzy2566
09-09-2003, 04:14 PM
Thanks McGiver. PS: Check out your challenge, I posted another one ;)

annexion
09-09-2003, 04:48 PM
Grifter... Agreed;)

Colin Campbell
09-09-2003, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by Grifter
i don't think that i deserve any awards

No you don't, anyway, yet again, you guys are way too uptight about everything. Sorry for trying to make the forum a bit more exciting, other than making this place so damn redundant. good day. <_<

dzy2566
09-09-2003, 05:18 PM
I'm sorry Colin, I didn't mean to upset you or anything. Why don't I take another approach? Out of disagreement ought to come compromise. How about another set of awards, but a set of tongue-in-cheek awards. Stuff we can all laugh about, nothing serious, just fun. I think that was really your intent anyway, to lighten things up, give some props, and have a laugh (as can be seen in you most annoying poster award). How does that sound to people? Rather than coming down on Colin, which I can assure none of us meant to do.

On an unrelated note, Colin, congrats on the computer. I'm looking at getting one myself soon, just don't feel like forking over the cash :) .

All the best-

Sean

Colin Campbell
09-09-2003, 05:24 PM
Congrats on your comp too...

I guess I am an annoying poster... whatever... I guess I have the right to be here, and if you don't want me to be here, screw off. I guess the list of my annoying posters is growing, so that doesn't matter... i'll reconsider mine being here if you want >_>

webguy
09-09-2003, 05:24 PM
Best Hostage Negotiator: dzy2566

web

McGiver
09-09-2003, 06:22 PM
hey no need to be upset.
@colin the award thing wasn't a bad idea at all, but this isn't really the place to set up popularity contests!

Here are so many member which are a really good help, so that you can't name a single one.
It's the same with favourite member , and so on.
And I don't feel annoyed by anyone.
I think we all said that as a joke!
Everybody's welcome here. and I think we all like you.

but don't take this personally! i think nobody wanted to insult you or scare you off!

Note @ grifter: this sounded probably a little bit rude.

everybody happy again?

Colin Campbell
09-09-2003, 06:33 PM
Nah, it was never set up to be a popularity contest. That would be trivial. That would, without a doubt, make no sense. If you read the other related thread, you would know my purpose was to get people recognized by their peers here. It makes you feel good inside when you know your peers recognise the hard work you do. It makes you feel bitter inside when someone who barely comes here blatantly insults you, w/o even caring to learn the whole story. *cough grifter cough*

Adrenaline
09-09-2003, 06:41 PM
if (_root.wehappy == true) {
":) + :) = :D" = true
}

Colin Campbell
09-09-2003, 06:44 PM
lmao @ Adrenaline, dude, you make me crack up for no particular reason... :P

On a serious note, someone close this thread, its obviously not welcome by members *sigh* yet another one of my childish ideas failed.... sometimes it makes me wonder why I even bother...

McGiver
09-09-2003, 07:07 PM
hey come on colin! nobody said it wa a childish idea or, it was your fault to set it up! I onely want to say maybe,... we might just chose other categorys! nothing serious.
dont get it a in a wrong way, but this kind of reminds me of my ex girlfriend, andhow she used to argue ( this thing with the "yet another one of my childish ideas failed")

It makes you feel bitter inside when someone who barely comes here blatantly insults you
sometimes it's better to lough with somebody who is trying to lough about you. As long as you don't want to argue with somebody, consider that the things said are not ment to hurt you.

(note: I don't want too behave like an old guru, giving stupid advices to look intelligent, just wanted to say it)

dzy2566
09-10-2003, 09:39 AM
I certainly don't find you annoying, and I think I speak for pretty much everyone when I say that. I acutally was a little red in the face when I found out that you were only 14 and know as much as you do about AS, probably more than me. Very comendable. But that aside, because it was only by accident that I found out your age. On the net we're all ageless and faceless...we are what we post. I doubt anyone thought your idea was childish, because most of us probably don't think in those terms when we're in the forums. Things have gotten a little bit out of hand here. And I think it mostly has to do with some of the communication tools that a forum strips us of: tone of voice, patterns of speech, facial expressions, and the luxury of natural real time conversation. I think a lot of what we have discussed here would have been resolved in a few minutes had we been face to face. But when we try to talk on the forums as if we were face to face, something is lost in the translation and we get results like this thread. I think we should just leave this alone. Colin, we all know what your intentions were, no-one is mad at you. It just sparked a debate, a debate which was not aimed at or fueled by you. Frankly, in this discussion, I think we accomplished more than you hoped to do with your awards anyway. A few of the greats were named early, which were lists that anyone could have made in a minute. The real gem was unearthing the general sentiment that this forum does a lot of good, all the posters are responsible for that, everyone benefits from it, and we don't take it for granted.

- Thanks to all of AS.org

Grifter
09-10-2003, 05:03 PM
Let me think of a way to reply that isn't going to get colin's knickers in a twist.... hmmm, nope that's going to be a little too challenging, so here it is anyway.

you guys are way too uptight about everything. Sorry for trying to make the forum a bit more exciting, other than making this place so damn redundant. good day. <_<We're not the uptight ones, you're the one who overreacts to every comment that could possibly be taken the wrong way. I can't comprehend what you're suggesting about the forums being redundant, so i'll ignore that.
"I guess I am an annoying poster... whatever... I guess I have the right to be here, and if you don't want me to be here, screw off. I guess the list of my annoying posters is growing, so that doesn't matter... i'll reconsider mine being here if you want >_>Glad to see that you acknowledge you're annoying. I'm sure the whole "screw off" thing sounded really clever in your head but trust me, it's not. And then you imply you'll consider your being here so now i'm a bit confused, nevermind, onto the next one.
It makes you feel bitter inside when someone who barely comes here blatantly insults you, w/o even caring to learn the whole story. *cough grifter cough*"someone who barely comes here" ?!?!?!? Who the HELL do you think you are? This seriously pisses me off because a) you don't know me since i don't go around starting pointless threads all the time, and b) you've been here for all of a few months so you're in no position to judge anyone else (please don't even start on post counts). Furthermore you reckon i haven't learnt the "whole story"? What more was there to learn apart from you posted one thread suggesting a topic, then posted another thread on that topic?
On a serious note, someone close this thread, its obviously not welcome by members *sigh* yet another one of my childish ideas failed.... sometimes it makes me wonder why I even botherConsidering i haven't complained about this thread aside from my post in the thread, and two other people having similar opinions (and voicing them in a more polite manner than i could be bothered to do so) where are all the members causing you such anguish that you want the thread closed?

Having said that, the only reason that i have posted in this thread again is because you deemed it necessary to attack me for stating my opinion, which is just silly. You seem to have a tendency for taking every word to heart, and while it might be fine to do this, it doesn't mean you have to get all upset about it. As far as i can tell, no one is deliberately persecuting you yet you take great offence to any comments that disagree with you.

My advice to you - grow up, just because you're 14 doesn't mean you have to act like it.

Regards
Grifter

annexion
09-10-2003, 07:05 PM
And that is the very reason why there shouldn't be any awards.

Not to attack anyone in particular as I am just citing an example:

Grifter put Colin as The Most Annoying Poster. A "category" defined in the list of awards that Colin himself compiled. Colin was then upset at being designated an annoying poster...

Everyone open your eyes. Post counts, time spent here, and all the other garbage doesn't matter. This is a community dedicated to helping people. PERIOD. If it weren't for that very reason, this site would not be here, I can assure you of that. If awards are made then people will spend more time trying to be the kings and queens of the AS.org forums instead of being kind-hearted mentors to people in a program that we all love.

Au revoir.

JGizmo
09-11-2003, 05:32 AM
Can't say it any better! Cheers annexion! ;)

Grifter
09-11-2003, 01:10 PM
just wanted to say that i couldn't agree more with what annexion said.

Colin Campbell
09-11-2003, 07:03 PM
argh, where was I upset? I acknowledged myself I was annoying for f***s sake. Christ.

freddycodes
09-11-2003, 07:08 PM
Colin, either you are always a little on edge, or you were acting a little bitter before. I have nothing against anyone here. Except those who post without thinking.

But even your last post in this thread seemed a little bitter.

Colin Campbell
09-11-2003, 07:12 PM
I don't understand how you can expect to not be bitter at a member who doesn't even post other than to come back and insult someone. I wouldn't have a problem with you saying it, I have respect for you, annexion, and everyone else that posts. But for a person like grifter to come back and insult me, then not even post helping anyone out... is... wrong... at best... whatever, I don't care anymore, I thought this was over, somebody close this topic.

freddycodes
09-11-2003, 07:19 PM
You are right and I was really trying to hold back from posting in here, I hate the General Chat forums, even though for some reason I am drawn to read the posts in here.

But the fact of the matter is the internet is full of poeple from all walks of life. Some you will get along with and some you won't.

As is with all other areas of life. People are going to eventually piss you off from time to time. I am not picking on your age, but you are only 14. Not that thats a bad thing, its just, I know from experience at least from my own experience, I started to learn just how diffeent we all are as I grew older.

Just don't let poeple get under your skin.

Adrenaline
09-11-2003, 09:27 PM
Well, i think thats enough for this thread. Colin to close the thread, go to the buttom of the page to 'Admin Options' and close the thread. :)

Colin Campbell
09-11-2003, 09:44 PM
Hmmmmm, I'm not a mod, so I shouldn't be able to do that, unless... users who post the thread have the admin options for it? How do I not know this? :p I'm stupid... *leaves open so someone can answer*

Adrenaline
09-11-2003, 09:52 PM
yes if your started it you can open/close it. I'm not sure what other features you can use tho.

dzy2566
09-12-2003, 09:41 AM
Yeah, I didn't know that either Colin. So we both feel foolish now :D

JGizmo
09-12-2003, 11:16 AM
:p I didnt know that user can close a thread too!

P.S. Nice computer specs you got Colin!

red penguin
09-12-2003, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by colin14
It makes you feel good inside when you know your peers recognise the hard work you do.
Indeed this is true, Colin. But we don't come here looking for approval and/or recognition. We gather in order to better the sport, so to speak. We learn and pass along knowledge. I am here 3-4 times a week but I rarely post. Why? Because the torch has passed. I seem to get the tail end of threads that others can and do answer.

Any kind of debate is good. But to pick favorites (AM spelling, thanks...) amongst 13,346 members, 33,078 threads and, 165,181 posts is insane. Do I care who answers my questions? Not in the least. But I know that I can lean on certain individuals due to the time and effort that I have put into this place. My concern is that whoever wants to and/or can answer, will answer. Bottom line.

So in short, we welcome everyone and anyone who posts thereby helping another is a winner. This we know. Awards ceremony? P'shaw... As a young padawan learner, one cannot expect you to know all the members. I merely know who is here for the long haul.

Those are the members who get my vote.

Warrior
09-15-2003, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by annexion
And that is the very reason why there shouldn't be any awards.

Not to attack anyone in particular as I am just citing an example:

Grifter put Colin as The Most Annoying Poster. A "category" defined in the list of awards that Colin himself compiled. Colin was then upset at being designated an annoying poster...

Everyone open your eyes. Post counts, time spent here, and all the other garbage doesn't matter. This is a community dedicated to helping people. PERIOD. If it weren't for that very reason, this site would not be here, I can assure you of that. If awards are made then people will spend more time trying to be the kings and queens of the AS.org forums instead of being kind-hearted mentors to people in a program that we all love.

Au revoir. I completely agree with you annexion ;)

Originally posted by Adrenaline
Best Helper/ Poster (actionscript, General Help, and Flash MX forums): Warrior Thank you Adrenaline :) I am glad someone acknowledged my skills ;)