PDA

View Full Version : Graphic vs. movie clip

dzy2566
09-12-2003, 04:32 PM
Is there a benefit to using a graphic as opposed to a mc with only one frame? Easier on the cpu? I always find myself using mcs, even when I don't need to do anything to it (alpha, etc.) Just wondering what the intent was there.

arai_speed
09-12-2003, 07:45 PM
My understanding is that MCs are containers with the ability to contain graphics, other MCs, sounds and most importantly action scripts.

Graphics are just graphics. Plain, do nothing, just a graphic.

When I get Flash movies from our artist and they embed movie clips that should really be just graphics...well...it's confusing. Because then I think the MC is and MC and not just some graphic that I can ignore.

senocular
09-13-2003, 12:49 AM
yeah graphics are easier on the CPU - less overhead. That and they arent timeline independant. They animate when the timeline they're in animates - and you have direct control over what frame it animates from or whether its a still image etc. Movieclips just run and crank along on their own without any concern or recgnition of the timeline movement of the timeline they exist.

dzy2566
09-13-2003, 01:18 PM
Fair enough, thanks for your input. I knew the difference between their capabilities, but I wasn't sure why they bothered to even add a graphic option. Now I know.