PDA

View Full Version : sonic based game challenge

junahu
09-22-2003, 01:23 PM
I've always been a fan of sonic games (My first game was a sonic game). For the past year or so I have really wanted to create a perfect sonic based game and I think I'm getting a little closer. My programming techniques are extremely basic and 'code as you go' but so far they haven't steered me wrong. My challenge is for anyone out there willing to try, to create some sort of sonic based engine. There are no real limits to this challenge but it has to be fast and should have enemies. Collectables are optional but in no way compulsory. Obviously the highest goal to aim for is a working loop de loop but no-one would even dream of going through all that trouble when no prize is offered. I'll post an example tomorrow. Any entries should contain a level or section of a level to give example to the effectiveness of your code. There are no limits on code length and no closing date as such.

Sumary of sonic based game requirements:

-pretty-extremely fast
-Jumping
-an enemy or spring or bumper or some other element that demonstrates the physics of your engine
-If you include an enemy it can't wander back and forth aimlessly along a pre-tweened path(It must react to the player's position somehow)
-landing after a jump does not reduce your speed
-no or minimal getting trapped in scenary

(bet noone will bother taking up this challenge)

dzy2566
09-22-2003, 01:48 PM
It sounds cool, but your assumption that no-one will take up your challenge is probably right. I would love to attempt it, but don't have the time. No-one here really gets paid to sit around and play with Flash, so quick and simple challenges are preferred. Then again, you never know. Looking forward to seeing yours....

Grifter
09-22-2003, 05:44 PM
i know that this isn't going to help in your desire for us to accept your challenge, but i just wanted to point out the reason that I, and probably other members of the forum (though i can't really speak for them), won't take up the challenge. And that is that the "Just for Kicks Challenges" are, as far as i understand, meant to be short distractions from the larger projects that Flash developers generally get involved in. Little 25, or even 50 line projects won't take the average Flash developer too long to complete, especially with a pre-chosen topic. heck, they might even take enjoyment from it - if they don't then why would they want to do them in the first place. what they don't want from a challenge is something that takes a lot of planning (or even a little planning perhaps), and will take a long time to implement.

now, before i sound too miserable, i think that games in flash are good fun to design and make, and have nothing against your Sonic idea. however it seems like the task is a little too big for a simple, non-time consuming challenge.

i look forward to seeing your game, but sadly i won't have time to take part in the challenge myself.
regards
Grifter

junahu
09-23-2003, 06:15 AM
argh. my file is marginally too big to post. If anyone wants it they'll have to ask me to send it to their e-mail address. Sorry everyone.

McGiver
09-23-2003, 08:32 AM
is it a script only game? well why not posting the script instead of the swf?
if else, just send me the swf, and I will post it on my webspace (hope it isn't too big, just have ~3GB unused traffic remaining this month)
email edited

McGiver
09-23-2003, 09:37 AM
wow! looks very good so far

junahu's Sonic game (http://www.digitalhalo.de/asorg/Sonic%20based%20game%20(not%20finished).swf)

junahu
09-23-2003, 09:47 AM
Thanks for the vote of confidence McGiver. I'll see about getting it finished (or at least half finished).

vulcanpimp
09-23-2003, 10:30 AM
I've got a fully working game movement in shockwave with about three levels.

I keep meaning to get round to doing that same thing in flash but I don't think a 25 line forum is the correct place for it.

what you need is a jumping animation, a climbing animation etc.

Tell me are there many games made in flash like sonic or all they all made in shockwave.

junahu
09-24-2003, 08:24 AM
I don't think there are many (If any at all) sonic type/based games made in flash. Mine's the first one I've seen and it's nowhere near completion.

vulcanpimp
09-24-2003, 08:55 AM
I haven't had a go at this but if pressing two keys at one time is a problem you have been having then you could try this page on my site

http://www.geocities.com/hairybobby2000/fxspritemover.html

That would show you how to read keys individually. I notice you mentioned about running and then jumping then continue on at the same speed. That problem is solved by this script. you just read the keys when they are pressed down and again when they are let go.

McGiver
09-25-2003, 01:41 PM
hmm, i didn't try something like a sonic game, because i never played it.
what I played was commandos, and tried to create something with viewing ai enermies.
I created this game quite a while ago (I think it was during the afghanistan war around 2001), when I started using actionscript.
well i thought it got lost with the death of my last pc (R.I.P), but when I looked through my backup cds, I found one with this on it.

http://www.digitalhalo.de/asorg/game.html

dzy2566
09-25-2003, 01:44 PM
That's pretty neat McGiver. It runs awfully slow on my machine, though, so I got my a$$ shot right away.

McGiver
09-25-2003, 01:55 PM
lol, I know the whole thing is damn slow! I learned one thing by making it: never use vector graphics for games, they slow down the most.
+ I didn't know a way to check if there is a building between the enermy and the player (if the enermy is abled to see the player) so I simply created 10 lines between the player and the building. I think this slows down a lot, too.
(excuse my slow code, as I said this is one earliest scripts)

if the quality isn't automaticly reduced, rightclick and chose a worse quality, for higher speed.

dzy2566
09-25-2003, 03:05 PM
Hey, I'm not knocking your code, Mc. That's still much better than what I could have done.

You mentioned that you shouldn't use vector graphics for games. What do you suggest than, bitmaps? That would be a good thing for me to know, and I bet you can tell me :)

senocular
09-25-2003, 03:22 PM
for scrolling games and games where theres a lot of full screen movement, yes, bitmaps are usually better. Having one bitmap is easier for Flash to process and move when compared to many many mathematical vector points. Other games work fine with vector images since they are usually cleaner and allow for smaller file size.

McGiver
09-25-2003, 03:24 PM
well the code thing was more an excuse than a defense :D

well the best thing would be to use animations (series of pictures - looks better, and is less cpu intensive.
bitmaps are the best if you don't rotate or resize them.
vektor graphics where you need the file size as small as possible

dzy2566
09-25-2003, 03:38 PM
Thanks. I appreciate it.

junahu
09-26-2003, 07:46 AM
Coming in a bit late in this discussion but I've always kinda preferred vectors. They're crisper and look (can look) pretty cool. But they are a bit computer intensive which is a damn shame. By the way, that's a pretty cool game McGiver. I've always wanted to do something like that. All I seem to churn out are platformers.

McGiver
09-26-2003, 08:15 AM
ok ;) , junahu's other game:
game 2 (http://www.digitalhalo.de/asorg/Bernie's%20fun%20time%20adventures.html)

@junahu: try to get some free webspace (i.e.yahoo geocities) :)

edit: hey, why are the smilies and the url not working??? :(

junahu
09-26-2003, 08:57 AM
I will. Thanks

headkick
09-30-2003, 06:56 PM
just a quick note. this site, which I'm sure you all know about, has some great examples of flash games. No Sonic to speak of. ciao

HK

junahu
10-03-2003, 09:32 AM
Day 10: Still haven't found a sonic flash game on the web. Perhaps sonic isn't meant for flash. Perhaps. But there's THOUSANDS of of those damn click and play sonic fangames and NOT ONE sonic flash game (to the best of my knowledge).

doesn't help my search when the college restricts my access to flash sites. :(

I'm done blowing steam. If anyone out there spots a sonic/sonic based game made in flash, be sure to tell me ok? :D

junahu
10-06-2003, 07:19 AM
Please?

vulcanpimp
10-06-2003, 07:32 AM
the only probem I have with this is do people actually make flash platform games. Can you use loadmovie to change the background without any major problems.

The only other problem for me is I have no where to put it as a demo. My free space doesn't accept zips or swf files. Could I upload it as an attachment.

also I would appreciate some images -where could I get some sonic sprite sheets.

vulcanpimp
10-06-2003, 07:40 AM
besides no one seems to want to take part in my challenges so I better get where the action is

junahu
10-06-2003, 08:03 AM
Some people make flash platform games (like me). Don't use loadmovie (sorry) so wouldn't know how to work it. Also don't know what to do about your free space (get webspace elswhere perhaps?). For the sonic sprites sheets you might have some luck with sonic rom hacking sites. If that fails you could check the general sonic community, click and play (or something similar) games are in abundance and they all use sonic sprites. Check sonic fangame sites for sprite/spritesheet downloads.

I used a sprite editor and sonic 2 rom (I've already got a legitiment copy so it's legal).

Hope that helped a little

I'm not sure if the action is here either.

junahu
10-16-2003, 09:32 AM
Thought I'd try and revive this dead thread but I don't know how. I've gone on vacation from my sonic game to clear my head. Just working on my other platformer now.bernie's fun time adventure (http://www.geocities.com/janaspararto/bernie1.html)
it isn't the newest version I have. I'll add that soon.

space = jump
ctrl = sword (Press while holding left or right or whilst in the air)

sellotaped a shameless parady of zero wing to the beginning (sorry).

junahu
11-03-2003, 10:05 AM
SOMETHING RELATIVE AT LAST!!

I thought I had the sonic engine cracked (well, partly so). Got a block to run up a partial then vertical slope by altering the x and y values according to what kind of slope sonic is on. I dived too quickly into this concept and screwed up on slopes with negative gradients. I could have achieved a loop de loop too. Won't give up though, it has to be possible.

Ninfoxwoods
11-08-2003, 10:12 PM
http://www.hostultra.com/~kompleteclub/Ninplatv1.html
Thats the platformer Im working on...trying to fix the jumping through the platform problem Webguy might have a solution.

junahu
11-10-2003, 07:40 AM
Couldn't follow your link (probably some technical hitch somewhere in the college). Haven't seen much of webguy as late. I'd be glad to try and help though (As soon as I find a way through this darn link!).

Ninfoxwoods
11-13-2003, 10:36 PM
http://www14.brinkster.com/kompleteteam/Ninfoxplatv4.html
^Added Super Jump to it. Also I made a time based background that if its a certian time the crappy moon background will appear. The only problem I have is that it won't go to frame too if you fall too much...the following code won't work for me:
if (_root.bg._y<-2394) {
gotoAndPlay(2);
}

Maybe its interfering w/ something I dunno Ill keep you updated on it.

junahu
11-14-2003, 07:58 AM
That was pretty cool. screen scrolling is a little slow and the ground engulfs me if I walk into a tight corner but it's shaping up well

I've updated my bernie platformer a few times to include powerups, better controls etc. click on the link earlier in the thread if you want to see. I've also entered it into a battle over at Kirupa.Why don't you?

Ninfoxwoods
11-14-2003, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by junahu
That was pretty cool. screen scrolling is a little slow and the ground engulfs me if I walk into a tight corner but it's shaping up well

I've updated my bernie platformer a few times to include powerups, better controls etc. click on the link earlier in the thread if you want to see. I've also entered it into a battle over at Kirupa.Why don't you?

One thing you'll tell from me is that I'm very modest about my work. Once the engine is flawless Ill enter in the battle.

webguy
11-14-2003, 04:01 PM
yeah that is turning out pretty good there, ninfoxwoods. Good work, keep it up!

vulcanpimp
11-15-2003, 07:05 AM
yeah thats great work,

does anyone know where to get sprite sheets for games such as this. and backgrounds as well. I'm trying to make a game for skatepark website. But the problem is images. I can do photoshop easy enough but I can't really draw.

Oh and btw they need to be free as well :D

:p please help

junahu
03-29-2004, 06:01 AM
This post is waaaay too late to actually help but, may I suggest buying a digital camera and photgraphing skateparks?

OlSideWinder7
04-04-2004, 10:00 PM
http://www.strille.net/works/misc/platform_demo/

And he's got a tutorial for hit here:
http://www.strille.net/tutorials/part1_scrolling.html

TheBuzz
06-30-2004, 09:59 AM
I noticed your looking for a flash based sonic game, and I didn't see any links to an actual sonic remake. I found this game on newgrounds, awsome sonic reproduction, smooth game play, and even lets you save your spot :).
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/151706

Hope you guys like it, have to click on play game.

praufet
07-01-2004, 09:17 PM
That is freaking amazing.

Solar Guardian
05-27-2005, 02:13 AM
Hello,
I am an aspiring video game maker, and I would like to know where I may get a copy of ActionScript. Please reply as soon as possible. I make video games using other programs, and I have heard from several reliable online resources that ActionScript is very good at creating games, not to mention that you can do a lot of things with it.

Sincerely,

Andrew (Solar Guardian)

mostwanted_dk
05-27-2005, 07:59 AM
It's called Macromedia Flash MX 2004. Actionscript is just the programming language used in that program.

BUDD
10-19-2005, 05:06 AM
hi could u help please
i was wondering how u actualy make the background
because there isnt enouth room on the stage to do the level so how would you make it

do u make it in pieces in frames

so in frame one will be where u start and frame two would be continuing and so on

and if you go in the air like hit a spring will the higher part be on another frame in a difrent layer
a layer above the ground layer

if you know whati mean

i would realy apreiciate the help
my yahoo email is [email protected]
or answer on here
thankyou

BUDD
10-20-2005, 10:14 PM
anyone there

rostaryms
08-11-2006, 02:50 PM
hey, i like ur sonic game, but i was wondering how u did the slope? if u could paste the code that would be great or explain or a link to where u learned it. i rly like the game so far, thanks
- rostaryms

Tugatom
11-08-2008, 06:21 AM
NINFOXWOOD for your problem of going to frame 2,
you gotta put in quotations around the "2" so it will look like this:

if (_root.bg._y<-2394) {
gotoAndPlay("2");
}

and it will become red

hope that helps