PDA

View Full Version : Ha sanyone experience with Flash Turbine?

paul67
06-28-2001, 11:50 AM
I like to hear from anyone that has experience with (php)Flash Turbine.
Is it reliable?
How stable is it?

I haven't found many info about it, so that can be a good sign as well as a bad sign?

Has anyone worked with flash turbine?

philip
06-28-2001, 02:03 PM
I've had a bit of experience with it. My company wanted a method of passing large amounts of data to my Flash movies that the loadVariables command simply couldn't handle. Also, we wanted to be able to dynamically include images and audio into certain movies. Generator does all this, but the cost was not fiscally feasible. Turbine proved to be a great solution. It did pretty much everything we wanted it to do.

This state of bliss lasted for a little while. My CTO installed some new security issues on the server and suddenly Turbine was not able to access the images or audio. I looked and looked for the cause, but was not able to find it. Also, because all of the script is server-side, it's not quite as dynamic as I'd like. There are ways to get around the dynamically loaded items without going the Generator Template route. We are now taking in the same amount of data and, because we're now using swf's, the movies will cache.

paul67
06-28-2001, 02:49 PM
Wich version (and on which platform) did you use?
and did you use php turbine or else?

Did you try to reinstall ?

philip
06-28-2001, 03:52 PM
Sorry, I was working with ASP Turbine on a Windows 2000 Server box. We tried most everything, but it became clear that we could work around it and having our movies cache became more important.