PDA

View Full Version : MX or MX 2004

omega10mg
10-02-2003, 08:55 PM
I've tryed MX 2004 and i'm not sure i like it... I mean it seems like they changed lots of things that made flash so good..
like it was very easy before.. now.. i dono.. anyone have a opinion on this?

circa1977
10-05-2003, 12:46 AM
I'm curious about this too, and how different people approach Flash. What's your background? I've been doing backend development for years and am just getting into Flash. From what I've seen, ActionScript 2.0 and the IDE (especially with Pro) seem much more programmer-oriented.

Warrior
10-05-2003, 02:10 AM
I am with you on this one. Flash MX 2004 programing seems hard to grasp and that's why I am staying with Flash 5 and MX. I have just began to understand ActionScript and then Macromedia comes and changes it.

CyanBlue
10-05-2003, 02:23 AM
I have just began to understand ActionScript and then Macromedia comes and changes it. Ain't it the way it always is??? :D

You gotta find some place where you can firmly stand, and when that happen, you gotta move on... ;)
The only problem is that there is no ending to this sort of study, so you gotta find the right time to jump onto the new ship...

Me??? I have downloaded the trial a while ago, and I have not installed it yet... Here are my reasons...
#1. I am lazy...
#2. I had no time...
#3. I didn't like the interface and AS 2.0...
:D

Well.. I do have a plan to install it and test it myself as soon as my project is finished though... The only problem is my being lazy... That I cannot really tell when I wouldn't be... :D

The bottom line is... Go for it by all means... MM will ship another new one in a year or two later... What are you going to do when that happens, right???

Warrior
10-05-2003, 02:27 AM
#3. I didn't like the interface and AS 2.0... I am with you on this one because there is not "Normal Mode" and just expert mode, it seems they are forcing beginners to program with no background knowledge at all.

circa1977
10-05-2003, 02:36 AM
I believe, being a newcomer, I'm going to latch on to MX 2004 Pro and AS 2.0 and start from there. I appreciate some of the direction the language has gone in, coming from a background as a COM/VB programmer, and most of all that there is finally some implementation of XPATH when working with XML. I'm still a bit disappointed in the offerings and the roundabout way of getting to it (I haven't played with it much yet)...I've found it hard to accept Macromedia's positioning of Flash as capable of full-blown application development without offering more robust XML support sooner.

My only concern is jumping into Flash 7.0 output and forcing end-users to upgrade so soon.

So, the 2004 Pro IDE is somewhat appealing to me. As for the Forms components and data connectivity offered, I'm not sold on those yet. For anyone in the know, it sort of reminds me of setting up data-driven applications in Visual InterDev for ASP Classic vs. coding things from scratch. The hand-coded approach was always cleaner, more straightforward, more efficient and more useful.

omega10mg
10-05-2003, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by circa1977
I'm curious about this too, and how different people approach Flash. What's your background? I've been doing backend development for years and am just getting into Flash. From what I've seen, ActionScript 2.0 and the IDE (especially with Pro) seem much more programmer-oriented.

my background is; i've been learning all by my self, never used a book or taken a lession in any programming. and now i'm really feeling i know actionscript 1. now theres the actionscript 2.
and whats really anoying is that flash mx 2004, supportes both, but when u mix 1 and 2 it dosent work always.. and this makes it feel very buggy...
I don't know what is considerd actionscript 1 and whats 2.

I don't know what to think... but it does feel buggy. But in the long run i'm sure MX 2004 and it's new actionscript is good, but it could have been done better. But i think we have to wait for MX 2005 or something before its good.

skalie
10-07-2003, 07:20 AM
Can anyone name something that Flash MX 2004 can produce that couldn't be produced using Flash MX?

circa1977
10-07-2003, 11:34 AM
I've already started using its CSS capabilities to format text pulled in from XML. I think it's a great way to allow updates to the movie without having to go back to the source file and recompile it.

And as far as I know, it's the first implementation of XPATH for XML parsing.

The XML features are obviously important to me and have drawn me to MX 2004/Flash 7.

apprentice
11-21-2003, 09:59 PM
I'm gonna need to upgrade soon for a project I'll be working on with a programmer. And after looking at the Flash site and reviewing all the new features, I feel like I've been asleep for 2 years and just woke up. Nevertheless, I'm very impressed with the new features, particularly the Forms/Screens alternatives to the timeline as well as Timeline Effects. The time saved alone by using Timeline Effects seems like a dream come true (don't tell me they already had an extension for this in version 6).

Does anyone know if using the Forms/Screens option is truly an alternative to the timeline or is it limited to creating linear presentations and not applications? If it is truly the former, then it seems so much easier using Forms/Screens.

Colin Campbell
11-21-2003, 10:16 PM
Background: simple HTML. I'm young, and well, Flash was "flashy" and exciting. So I jumped right in.

Recommendation: If you're new, go to MX2004 Pro or Normal. Its easier to learn the newest standards, even if it may be harder at the start. if you have about 3 months or more experience and you're apprehensive about moving up, I'd stick with MX. My 2.6 cents.

Stimpson
11-22-2003, 07:36 AM
I'd go with mx 2004.

My background is 4 years of Computer Science/ Programming education, resulting in a Bachelor degree :cool:, but I actually always had more of a interest in media an design related stuff.

So for me I absolutely love the way MM is going with flash. It's more extensive and proffesionalized, and you can go either way: applications or design, and hey what about both! It's really straigh up my allay so to speak :p

So If you want to go ahead with flash profession wise you will have to make the jump anayway sometime. If only to make your clients happy. And perhaps the sooner the better. But then again if you're having trouble with it, the slower the least frustating I guess :D

apprentice
11-22-2003, 09:38 AM
I've actually worked from Flash 4 onward, just haven't made the jump from MX to MX2004 yet. I'm a bit bummed about having to learn about the Actionscripting changes (from a designer POV), but based on some tutorials I've read, I think I'll be much happier with AS2.0. For example, I could never figure out why you could assign a string AND a value to the same variable in AS1.0.

I guess my main question is about the forms/screens feature found in the Pro Version. Having worked in the timeline forever, I still hate the clutter of it. And with the addition of these 2 new approaches, I'm wondering if it might actually be in the interests of a designer to start using forms/screens instead of the timeline. MM seems to promote this as the preference for developers/programmers. Is there anything that you can't do with forms/screens that you can do with the timeline?

omega10mg
11-23-2003, 03:46 PM
I must say i've changed my view on MX 2004 and AS 2.0. It's all good, feels more grown up accualy, in a good way.
And it aint too much to learn, when u know the basic AS.

Only thing i hate about it is the help files!!!!! why are all the letters so got damed small on my screen there, i can hardly read it, it's like 0.2 mm text heh.