PDA

View Full Version : Button to load movie then go to URL

caf723x
07-01-2001, 08:06 PM
Hi...I'm new here, new Flash early on and reteaching myself Flash 5...so bear with me...

I have a drop down menu button (nested button in movie symbol) that when clicked needs to play and animation (a screen wipe) and then go to a web page.

On release will take me to the home page, but I need the movie to play through first. I've tried it a few ways, both using a movie symbol and calling to a label frame in the movie. I tred play and stop...

Does this make sense to anyone out there? IIf I can figure this out, I can take a few hours off...and boy do I need it!

Thanks.

defrex
07-01-2001, 08:44 PM
maby (this is just an idea) you could try..... making the button play the clip only. then tell it to send you to the new url on the last frame of the wipe clip.

like:

on (relese){
gotoAndPlay (_root.wipeclip)
}
tellTarget (_root.wipeclip){
geturl (http://whatever, last frame)
}

don't take this as like a perfect solution to all your problems, because as you can probly tell from the mistakes in the above code i myself am a newbie.

[Edited by defrex on 07-01-2001 at 03:51 PM]

caf723x
07-01-2001, 08:53 PM
I wish...you see, it's a drop down menu. There's 6 main menus, with anywhere from 1 to 6 submenus for each.

This is making me nuts because it seems like a very simple concept...I just can't get it to work.

Thanks anyhow.

defrex
07-01-2001, 09:06 PM
np

sorry i couldent help you more

caf723x
07-01-2001, 09:16 PM
Tried kinda what you said. The tellTarget will only work with on release...that's the problem I'm having: it needs to play something, then do something else.

Again, thanks for trying. Must go back to pulling my hair out now.

:)

Jesse
07-02-2001, 03:18 AM
why not set a variable which denotes where to go on click. then you gotoAndPlay some animation which in its last frame, uses getURL or whatever to go to that variable location you set...

caf723x
07-02-2001, 12:45 PM
OK, here's where I'm at.

The load movie version...(what I call vD)

Tried having the nested button symbol play the movie clip with this code:
on (release) {
loadMovieNum ("_root.mviShuffleOuta1", 0);
}

Got this error:
B Goudy Bold 2058 -AFIScdegilnprtuvyError opening URL "file:///PowerBook500/DATA%20PB500/hlg%20PB/%2AHLG0701%2DPB/Flash0701/_root.mviShuffleOuta1

Also tried this with going to a frame rather than a movie.

on (release) {
gotoAndPlay ("Scene 1", "ShuffleLeft");
}

That didn't play it either.

Yet it plays fine on it's own

What am I missing?

[Edited by caf723x on 07-02-2001 at 07:48 AM]

caf723x
07-02-2001, 12:58 PM
this was missing from my previous post...

this seems to be what I want to do:

on (release) {
loadMovieNum ("_root.mviShuffleOuta1", 0);
ifFrameLoaded (130) {
getURL ("about.html");
}
}

or this:

on (release) {
gotoAndPlay ("Scene 1", "MovieShuffle");
ifFrameLoaded (130) {
tellTarget ("_root.mviShuffleOuta1") {
getURL ("about.html");
}
}
}

Gets this error but goes to URL:

-AFIScdegilnprtuvyTarget not found: Target="_root.mviShuffleOuta1" Base="_level0.instance31"