PDA

View Full Version : reading-in client side data, xls?

emergency_pants
11-13-2003, 10:30 AM
Before I ask this, I should say that I hope this isn't too much of a broad question! Even though I have used Flash for a long long time, I've never had to use it in the way I may need to soon.

I freely admit I need to do some serious reading around the subject, but thought I might get some initial direction from anyone here who has had some experience, to save any headless chicken moments for me ;)

I have a client who would like to integrate a set of training course modules and deliver them via intranet and internet. The content will be quite static, but will need to be changed by the client from time to time as courses are updated. The trick, I think, is to allow the client to create content using, for example, an excel spreadsheet. Then I will have all the graphic/static content in Flash libraries. The screen will be populated with text and data brought in from the xls files.

Firstly, is this a viable setup? Would the client be better off using access database instead? I won't ask how... just need to know which route is the best.

Secondly, how would one take updated information from an xls file and read it into flash as useable data? Stuff like questions & answers, imagelists, body text, etc. Is it even possible?

Any pointers which might help me research the subject would be greatly appreciated.

freddycodes
11-13-2003, 01:20 PM
Unfortunately flash cannot access Access or Excel natively without either a third-party tool or through some server side scripting langauge.

You could however export the excel spreatsheets to csv files, flash can handle that.

Search on these boards for CSV

emergency_pants
11-14-2003, 06:34 AM
Thanks freddy. I see your previous post, populating arrays. I'll do some research. I need to work out ways of managing data into Flash and then managing that data within Flash, to populate the screens.

bragalyi
02-01-2005, 08:08 PM
bnvncvbncv

bragalyi
02-01-2005, 08:09 PM
sorry!

freddycodes
02-01-2005, 08:25 PM
Why don't you delete your posts?