PDA

View Full Version : Loading movie with on (release)

Dave
07-10-2001, 12:36 AM
Newbie needs a little help :). I'm using a button to load a movie clip, but when the clip loads, it continues to loop until you press the button again. I'd like it to play just once when the button is pressed.

The button has this action script:

on (release) {
tellTarget ("_level2") {
gotoAndPlay (1);
}
}

The layer above the button layer is the actions layer with this:

loadMovieNum ("movingtext.swf", 2);

Movingtext.swf has two layers with two frames. The actions layer has

stop ();

in both frames.

The second layer is the moving text itself, which is a movie clip symbol.

What am I missing?

Thanks!!

DAVE

chompos
07-10-2001, 01:33 PM
I'm no expert but this should work:

add a stop action at the and of the movie clip and above the frame containing the movie clip

sky_doq
07-10-2001, 07:11 PM
Probably the main stage ( you know the very top of you flashmovie where it all starts, then NOT the loaded movie )

Has the the action in a frame to load the movie into itself, but you probably left out a stop action, so that the movie will constantly load the movie into itself.

But from this 'distance' I can't really tell waht the matter is, but I think it is what I mentionned above.

JJ

Dave
07-10-2001, 11:52 PM
Thanks chompos and sky_dog. Chompos's solution worked fine, though I need to do a little more tinkering. The movie clip no longer loops, but hitting the button after the clip is finished makes the text disappear. The next hit runs the clip again. That's not quite what I'm after, but I'll keep plugging away.

I think the biggest hurdle for someone new to Flash is referencing levels and managing nested timelines. I'm going to check out the tutorials on this site. Tutorial 23 looks particularly pertinent. (If you have any recommendations, I'd be much obliged.)

Thanks again.

DAVE

sky_doq
07-11-2001, 02:52 PM
uh... okay than, ..

I would really appreciate it if you write sky_doq with a "q" at the end.

bye

JJ

Dave
07-11-2001, 03:45 PM
Sorry sky_doq! My apologies...

DAVE

Jesse
07-12-2001, 01:07 PM
if you have a stop in a frame, use gotoAndStop rather than gotoAndPlay. trying to gotoAndPlay a frame with a stop() in it can confuse Flash sometimes.