PDA

View Full Version : Basic Flash Remoting Question ...

Reflex
12-22-2003, 12:46 AM
I completed a Macromedia course earlier in the year called 'Advanced Actionscript for Applications. Anyway, I am running through the course material again but on my personal computer this time (not in the classroom).

So part of the course requires me to install Flash Remoting on my computer. I download the Flash Remoting installer from Macromedia.com, but it won't let me install either the J2EE version or the .NET version. I think this is because for the sake of the course, my computer becomes the server as well as the client machine - and therefore I think I need some kind of server application running on my machine that Flash Remoting can connect (?) to.

I am unsure about this stuff because back-end is not my speciality.

What do I need on my computer so that Flash Remoting will install ?.

Thanks,
Stephen.

Zohn
03-25-2004, 08:56 PM
Well, I am not 100% sure but I think you need to first install a server on your machine, and I recommend IIS which is a Windows Component on your Windows CD. ( I am assuming you use Windows). To install the server simply Run your Windows disc and click "Add On Components" and select "Internet Information Services(IIS)". Windows Install wizard does the rest. After you install IIS simply run that Remoting program and it should then work.

freddycodes
03-26-2004, 09:15 AM
In order to use Flash Remoting from Macromedia both the J2EE or .NET version you would need either like mentioned above, IIS and the .NEt framework.

For J2EE you need a J2EE compliant appliction server. ColdFusion MX I think will work or Macromedia JRUN.

If you want a nice free route check out amfphp, a free php implementation of remoting. You'll need a web server and PHP. Again you can use IIS, but I would suggest Apache for Windows.

Zohn
03-26-2004, 11:45 PM
Tried Apache and got off on the wrong foot...lol, and IIS was a breeze to install, so I use IIS with Macromedia ColdFusion MX and you can get a free 30 day trial I think...