PDA

View Full Version : [AS2] game speed

armitageleech
01-03-2004, 10:51 PM
I have been working on a game for a project that im doing, the game has alot of animation. I started work on it with a 1.2ghz athlon and recently upgraded to a 2.0ghz athlon and, er... it runs twice as fast... I thought it would run at the flash clock speed of 12.5 or 25fps.

Is there anyway to standardize the speed?

all help much appreciated

check it out :- www.size-matters.net - click the link on the first item of the news page.

cheers

farafiro
01-04-2004, 04:18 AM
armitageleech
welcome to the forums

It didn't show up after like 5 minson a lease line

armitageleech
01-04-2004, 09:09 AM
cheers for the reply

thats odd....

the link on the welcome page opens the website in another window.... dunno if that was it

heres a direct url http://mysite.freeserve.com/sizedoesmatter/game/intro.html

cheers

senocular
01-04-2004, 09:48 AM
Movies run at their designated frame rate.... unless the computer can't keep up. Then it runs, well slower. That seems to be the case with your project armitageleech, which is kind of sad for it to run so slow on a 1.2 Athlon. But havign a faster computer won't make it run faster than the frame rate specified. On the otherhand, a slower computer will make it play back slower.

armitageleech
01-04-2004, 10:00 AM
cheers

i was hoping there was a way to force the frame rate, nutz. strange though, I have used a few gradients, but they're the only thing i can think of that are slowing it down...

does animating gradients take up a lot of CPU power?

senocular
01-04-2004, 10:08 AM
yeah, gradients will kill you. As will a lot of text and transparency. Another thing is movement across the screen. The more isolated your movement in any given frame, the faster the Flash player can draw that frame since it would only need to draw the portion that has changed - the smaller the bounding box surrounding changes in a frame, the faster the playback (which is why smaller movies playback faster as well).

I don't know how well this might fit your situation, but you can force Flash to drop frames in order to maintain framerate. This is done by having a streamed sound in your animation (works only for timeline playback, not scripted movement etc). With a sound set to 'stream' in the timeline, Flash knows that it has to maintain the sync and will drop frames in order to keep up with the audio.

armitageleech
01-04-2004, 10:17 AM
the games 'clock' runs from a 'dummy' movieclip, that is, I put the code for the game on the enterFrame event of a movieclip that is just a bit of scenery and has no animations. if you get what i mean.

so would putting an audio stream in the dummy movie clip make just this movie clip skip frames? the codes loop is really the only bit that has to at the same speed

black
01-04-2004, 11:20 AM
hey boy your question are concisely optimizing one. you can make a search for this topic and that may help u, good luck~ :)

armitageleech
01-04-2004, 12:02 PM
ok, will do, thanks