PDA

View Full Version : Extending Macromedia Flas MX 2004

splict
02-01-2004, 09:49 AM
Well, after many postponements, this book finally came out and I just picked it up. Seems like some really interesting stuff. I've only got through the first couple pages so far but my understnding of things is already a little better. Keep in mind this is the point of view of someone that knows relatively little about this stuff. But I thought I would let people know its out and If anyone cares (or even if they don't ;) ) I'll probably post a little review when I've read the rest of it. Hopefully with some extensions as well :)

-splict

senocular
02-01-2004, 10:37 AM
Yeah thats 27Bobs (Todd Yard) and Bit-101's (Keith Peters) book. Definitely one that was highly anticipated with the release of FMX04.

Be great to hear a review of it when you're done :D

oh, and for those who dont already know about it:
http://www.friendsofed.com/books/1590593049/index.html
http://www.flashextensibility.com/

splict
02-05-2004, 01:58 PM
Yeah, I guess I should have mentioned that stuff ;)

Anyways, judge for yourself: I think the chapters on tools is one of the best and most important. And bit-101 posted a link to the whole chapter!!! :eek: Since he just posted it on their forums (http://www.flashextensibility.com/forums/) I don't see why there would be anything wrong with me posting it here.

http://www.friendsofed.com/books/1590593049/3049.pdf

-splict

senocular
02-05-2004, 02:09 PM
thats a link from my first link ;)

splict
02-05-2004, 02:23 PM
yeah, i realized what a moron i was right after i hit the post button ;) *It's been one of those weeks for me :( *

Anyways, I had just left it up because I thought maybe another person or two would go check it out, if they realized that the link was to a full section of the book.

-splict
*repeating to himself: "preview reply, preview reply"*

senocular
02-05-2004, 02:25 PM
good deal :D

FlashGuru
02-11-2004, 05:45 AM
Great book, definetley worth a place on your bookshelf!

Get building extensions.

farafiro
02-12-2004, 02:12 AM
wow
I've downloaded the two samples pictures
I am far away from this
oh, well, go read read read man

Stimpson
02-21-2004, 10:20 AM
Good stuff, excellent.

retrotron
02-23-2004, 04:33 AM
So this is a stupid question: can one extend Flash MX in this way? I suspect not, but perhaps there's a similar or different way to do it?

farafiro
02-23-2004, 05:02 AM
have u been to the flashextensibility ??

retrotron
02-23-2004, 05:18 AM
Yeah, but I couldn't find anything there about Flash MX, it's all about MX2004. I'm just wondering if it's possible to do this with MX, cuz it'd be useful to have access to the Flash DOM.

farafiro
02-23-2004, 05:31 AM
oooops
I didn'tnotice this
sorry retro

senocular
02-23-2004, 07:11 AM
retrotron, Flash MX doesn't have the JSAPI, but it does allow for Flash panels. Of course, what you can do with those panels is certainly limited without any real interface to the IDE. But things like calculators and script tools or simple things like that are possible.

retrotron
02-23-2004, 12:49 PM
Ah, okay, I remember seeing (or reading about, can't remember now) some panels you made somewhere. I would love to be able to, say, compose actionscript in Dreamweaver and then compile it straight from there (e.g. run a jsapi script with fl.documentDOM.compile() or something like that), without having to switch over to the Flash IDE. But I guess that's only possible with MX 2004. Oh well.

senocular
02-23-2004, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by retrotron
I would love to be able to, say, compose actionscript in Dreamweaver and then compile it straight from there (e.g. run a jsapi script with fl.documentDOM.compile() or something like that), without having to switch over to the Flash IDE.

right... of course, if in dreamweaver, you'd be using dw.getDocumentDOM() and of course there's little you can do about Flash from there - even with MX2004. Either way you'll need to be in the Flash IDE to run your Flash scripts. ;)

splict
02-23-2004, 03:56 PM
Macromedia did tout the ability to work between apps, but this requires the use of XML and RPCs, certainly not as straightforward as calling fl.method() from fireworks. :( In addition, I think Dreamweaver is a bit behind flash and fireworks in this respect. Also, good luck finding much documentation on it. If anyone is interested, about the best I could find offhand is in the 'Extending Fireworks documentation (http://download.macromedia.com/pub/documentation/en/fireworks/mx2004/extending_fw.pdf)' (cross product extensions)

-splict

senocular
02-23-2004, 04:09 PM
each FL, FW, and DW have their own extending PDF (which is great to have - I use them all the time). And splict, you're right; you can now use XML through a TCP connection (I know Fireworks at least, I'm not 100% about the others though I personally work with Fireworks most) - however, Im not sure how well this could be sety up, if at all, through DW itself. And, also, DW does handle extensions much differently using an HTML based interface in non-docking panels or modals which kind of reduce functionality (though you can make your own toolbars). The consistency between the three seems to break down, especially when dealing with DW.

splict
02-23-2004, 05:09 PM
yeah, thats kinda what I meant about dreamweaver being 'behind' I should have said inconsistent or something similar, but I was also thinking about the fact that, last I heard, Dreamweaver didn't support F7. Thats good to know you do stuff with Fireworks ;) - I haven't even started with scripting with Fireworks as I'm just doing baby steps with Flash right now and I never even used DW/FW until I upgraded to 2004 a couple months ago.

Do you have any links you know of and would be willing to share on interaction between flash and fireworks? For some reason my googling hasn't been able to come up with much :( Or are you just using flash based panels in fireworks to control fireworks? (Even that would be interesting)

thanks
-splict

senocular
02-23-2004, 05:32 PM
yeah, Flash panels in Fireworks to control fireworks. There really isnt too much in terms of app -> app comunication.

I was planning on writing some Fireworks panel tutorials some time or another when I get the chance since I don't know of any in existence. About the best I can say now is look at the extending PDF from MM or you can talk to me about anything and I can see what I can do to help ;)

Maybe start another thread in one of the General forums to discuss it?

splict
02-23-2004, 06:17 PM
Got a couple projects to finish up right now, but I will definately start a new thread and take you up on that offer soon enough, senocular ;) Thanks.

By the way, I'll throw out this link (http://www.jessewarden.com/archives/000403.html) for you and anyone else, in case you haven't seen it. Makes things easier to develop FW panels if you're so inclined to use this method.

-splict

senocular
02-23-2004, 06:22 PM
this might help too ;)
updated

splict
02-23-2004, 06:51 PM
Well, this thread goes in a full circle then :) The book has one of these too, but I found it way too buggy to be usefull. Yours is exactly what I would have wanted.

How many more of these little gems to you have hiding around? I couldn't check on your site 'cause it seems to still be down, but I don't recall it being up there. For lack of a better spot for a quick question/bug report, saving gives me a missing ) after argument error - what am I doing wrong? Also, cancelling a save throws a TypeError.

Anyways, huge thanks - this will definately speed up learning/development time. :)

senocular
02-23-2004, 07:28 PM
saving? is there a save in that? There shouldnt be :o
Theres a save in the Fireworks version, but there shouldnt be in that one (I made that from the Fireworks version - maybe I didnt update the file)

and try
http://www.interactive.toolblast.com/downloads/index.php

and see if its still down for you. Its working ok for me (crazy internet)

splict
02-23-2004, 07:37 PM
that would explain a bit. ;)

so.... there's a fireworks version of this too huh?....

wow I'm such a pain in the... :o

splict
02-23-2004, 07:40 PM
funny enough I tried your site again and its working fine now - even had the old browser window still open, so I know it wasn't a typo... crazy internet indeed ;)

senocular
02-23-2004, 07:44 PM
yeah, I have an identical FW version of the Flash one (with only the execute button) and the one you got which was the actual Fireworks version with the save option just thrown into Flash context. I did that as soon as I got FMX2004 just to see if it would work, but Flash doesnt have a files object so you cant save from it... well at least not in the way I have that panel set up. So The "real" flash version is just the execute button (should be the attachment above now - reuploaded).

thebloodpoolkid
03-01-2004, 01:46 PM
So far the book has been good to me. I am just starting on the third chapter and so far I am impressed. Easy learning and understanding from what I have read. Hopefully upcoming chapters flow well. I will post more of a review when I get into the deep end.